Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:48 PM

11 posts, read 58,947 times

Advertisements

The houses are really nice and the schools look nice as well. The new Otay Ranch Mall looks very good, but it's too sprawled out, and you'll find a lot of kids from Eastlake, Otay and Bonita High Schools (especially around the Apple Store taking pictures for their Myspaces). But hey, they have P. F. Chang's and the Cheesecake Factory, so those are really good plus sides.

From my experiences, people from Chula Vista are kind of uppity these days, especially after the last season of "Dancing With the Stars" (since Mario Lopez is from there), and after Chula Vista began bidding for being the site of the new Chargers Stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 38,008 times
Husband has just been accepted to work for Border Patrol and we are now in the process of deciding where to be stationed in San Diego and where to live in relation to his post. For him to be close to work would be ideal considering traffic in CA but .... too close to the border of course sounds like an awful place to live ie: dangerous (especially with a 3 year old !!) Any suggestions?

But cost is a real issue for us too. Definately looking at apartments only. After reading many threads sounds like Chula Vista may be nice.

Would also LOVE to hear from any one with knowledge or info regarding Border Patrol or a day in a life of a border patrol agent/family as this is a huge life change for us (especially me : ).

Old 10-17-2007, 04:27 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Overated just moved from there. Neighbors will not even talk to you.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:29 AM

489 posts, read 1,956,782 times
Nice areas with newer homes: Eastlake, Otay Ranch, although these areas are billed as being a bit more upscale than they really are. Sunbow and the areas near Chula Vista Hospital are nice also. If you prefer older homes in the older section of Chula Vista, Hilltop and F area and Second Ave ("Christmas Tree Circle") area are good choices. Don't know that I would call Hilltop and Naples the "ghetto" as one poster put it, but the homes are more modest and older, built in about 1956 for military families.

One of the rougher areas probably would be the Woodlawn corridor, near the trolley, and the very extreme southwest part of town. I am sure I am missing some good/bad areas here.

SR-125 is now open--beautiful freeway, makes us closer to East County, but unfortunately it does cost $$ to use.

Downtown Chula Vista is okay, but there is room for improvement. They want more Eastern Chula Vistaners to come down there, but there is not much to come to.

Overall, though, it is a nice surburban, family-oriented area, culturally diverse, and pretty self-contained--you really don't need to leave Chula Vista for shopping, etc. anymore. Also, there is the waterfront park and marina.

I'd recommend it.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:20 PM

telegraph canyon road, Olympic parkway. Non-stop traffic and people who blow thru red lights.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:03 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
TGraph Canyon and Olympic are free flowing streets.They're major arterials with speed limits posted at 50 MPH.I don't think there is anything wrong with CV traffic.Believe me,I've seen worse surface street traffic.

LOL.You want to see people blowing through red lights?Try Vegas(strip and non-strip).I'm talking about 6-8 cars turning left after a yellow light and 3-6 on a straight light.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:55 PM

I lived there for five years and saw all the time folks going past the red light all the time on those roads.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:05 PM

840 posts, read 6,515,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
TGraph Canyon and Olympic are free flowing streets.They're major arterials with speed limits posted at 50 MPH.I don't think there is anything wrong with CV traffic.Believe me,I've seen worse surface street traffic.

LOL.You want to see people blowing through red lights?Try Vegas(strip and non-strip).I'm talking about 6-8 cars turning left after a yellow light and 3-6 on a straight light.
You should see Oregon. I don't think many Oregonians know that a red light means stop.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:01 AM

11 posts, read 62,478 times
We live right down the road from East lake. The area is nice. Pleasent to walk your dog at night alone, and people seem friendly enough. Hubby and I moved here about 3 months ago and like it. We are military family. No kids yet, so can't help you on the schools, but Message me when you get here...we can meet up.

Hubby and I are dying to meet new people here. So far no luck with friendly people, of course we havent had a free breath til now to try...LOL

Old 12-27-2007, 12:08 AM

80 posts, read 429,885 times
You are better off to find a place farther north. Eastlake is nice but it's still part of Chula Vista. Which is not nice. CV. is run down and some areas have gangs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego