Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 06:27 PM

786 posts, read 3,927,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Whenever I go back East (er, Northeast), I crack up on how there there are so many Dunkin Donuts around.
We just moved to the Northeast from San Diego. The kids and I jokingly count the Dunkin Donuts stores we see in a 5 mile radius. They are like every 500 feet! And hardly any Starbucks.

When we first moved to San Diego what caught us off guard was that at intersections there is ALWAYS a separate left turn light. Here in the Northeast, sometimes you get one but usually it's just take your chances on a regular green light with oncoming traffic.

Another big difference is all the streets with Spanish names, i.e. Paseo Lucido, Via De La Valle, Camino Del Norte, etc. No Main St. or Central Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 07:09 AM

4,544 posts, read 12,413,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The metering lights actually help improve traffic flow and reduce accidents on the freeway. They regulate how many cars enter the freeway on at once preventing too many cars from trying to merge at once, which creates a bottleneck and backs up traffic on the freeway. Freeways flow better with metering lights than w/o.
Actually, I wasn't referring to San Diego's freeway metering lights that are halfway down the on ramp, I was referring to the STOP signs that are at the END of the on ramps back East. You turn down onto the ramp and hit a stop at the end. At that point you are only a few feet away from the flow of traffic but you are at a dead stop.

The result is you get some drivers who wait ... and wait .... and wait ..... for a break in the traffic (that may never come), and you get other drivers who just floor it - hell or high water - trying to get their speed up to 60MPH over a distance of about 20 feet. It's a great way to separate drivers who have a pair from those who don't.

Regarding the Huffman Hovels, maybe sdurbanite could be persuaded to do a photo tour of all the lovely Huffman style buildings in San Diego. More people should have a chance to enjoy the beauty of an 8 pack apartment with a street front that consists of a giant curb cut and landscaping that is nothing but blacktop for parking. And nothing says style and class better than a faux mansard roof made from plywood shingles.... sweet. 1970's era architecture at its best. Bell-bottoms, Afros and polyester suits... We should have all of the appropriate accoutrements as we enter our Huffman building with it's brown shag carpeting, daisy print wall paper, and dark brown (but it looks like wood!) cabinetry.

Last edited by kettlepot; 10-04-2008 at 07:20 AM..

Old 10-04-2008, 08:28 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,616,442 times
The Pasadena is the oldest freeway in the nation [1939] & is more like an East Coast highway. You access the freeway from a stop sign - no on-ramp - so a person has to immediately accelerate & accidents occur. Also you exit the freeway going 55mph & immediately have to slam on your brakes before crashing into the Arroyo Seco wash During rush hour cars are backed up on the freeway waiting to exit while the other 2 lanes are going the maximum speed limit or higher [very dangerous]. Unfortunately it is my closest freeway.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:28 AM

349 posts, read 1,545,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I guess California is the only place where all public bathrooms have seat covers. A lot of places in Georgia and Japan don't have them, you have to lay toilet paper. Btw, do any public restrooms in San Diego have washlets (the toilet seats that have push button controls to squirt water and dry, and heated seats) yet, like they do in Japan?
True, my Japanese friends always comment how clean and well stocked our public bathrooms are here. I remember living in Japan I had to carry around tissue because many public toilets did not even have tp! You had to go into a nice department store for that. Still haven't seen the nice washlet toilets here, however you can buy them at Mitsuwa for $1000. Japanese crack me up with their home toilets (seat warmers, bidets, dryers, music, massagers). They really do take their toilets seriously.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:11 PM

6,568 posts, read 12,070,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
True, my Japanese friends always comment how clean and well stocked our public bathrooms are here. I remember living in Japan I had to carry around tissue because many public toilets did not even have tp! You had to go into a nice department store for that. Still haven't seen the nice washlet toilets here, however you can buy them at Mitsuwa for $1000. Japanese crack me up with their home toilets (seat warmers, bidets, dryers, music, massagers). They really do take their toilets seriously.
Yeah, I have seen them at Mitsuwa since I used to shop there, mainly for Japanese food, snacks, and drinks. They have a lot of good stuff.

Other differences with San Diego and the West:

-In N Out Burger
-Carls Jr. instead of Hardees
-Jack in the Box instead of Krystals or Whitecastle
-Fat Burger
-Taco Shops
-Vons, Albertsons, and Ralphs instead of Kroger and Publix

Old 10-07-2008, 11:12 AM

91 posts, read 417,255 times
Also, the availability of beer, wine, and hard liquor absolutely everywhere. Even in drug stores. I'm sure pharmacists counsel many customers about mixing medication and alcohol.

I've never before seen private parties (picnics and volleyball, pinatas, family reunions with chafing dishes and a full buffet, etc.) in public parks out East. I like this about S.D., even if I'm not invited. It's cheerful, and it's better than "keep off the grass" signs.

Cheddar is colored orange here... unless the cows have been eating California poppies! White or Vermont cheddar is not as common. I like the variety of Mexican cheeses, but I'm a little concerned about differentiating between pasteurized and homemade ("bathtub") cheese, especially if the cheese has been cut from a larger block and wrapped in plastic. If the cheese is sold in a store, has it been pasteurized?

Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,746,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post

Regarding the Huffman Hovels, maybe sdurbanite could be persuaded to do a photo tour of all the lovely Huffman style buildings in San Diego. More people should have a chance to enjoy the beauty of an 8 pack apartment with a street front that consists of a giant curb cut and landscaping that is nothing but blacktop for parking. And nothing says style and class better than a faux mansard roof made from plywood shingles.... sweet. 1970's era architecture at its best. Bell-bottoms, Afros and polyester suits... We should have all of the appropriate accoutrements as we enter our Huffman building with it's brown shag carpeting, daisy print wall paper, and dark brown (but it looks like wood!) cabinetry.
I'm on it, kettlepot! Unfortunately, I don't have to look too hard to find a Huffman six-pack nearby

Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 PM

91 posts, read 417,255 times
Default More things I've noticed

Ok, been here a little while now. Still finding new things that are different or missing.
I haven't noticed any whoopie pies or Moxie at the grocery stores here. Pan dulce and tamarindo are nice, but not quite the same.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:12 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,856,566 times
Wait till the 80-degree santa anas hit this weekend. Another big difference compared to back east!!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:47 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,477,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose View Post
Ok, been here a little while now. Still finding new things that are different or missing.
I haven't noticed any whoopie pies or Moxie at the grocery stores here. Pan dulce and tamarindo are nice, but not quite the same.
The creator of Moxie is from my hometown. He has a scholarship at my old high school as well, I think I got like a hundred bucks out of it back in the day

And to add to the thread when I moved here the fact that I didn't need to be a total jerk on the highways just to get on blew my mind.

Also you can buy booze at Von's until 1 AM... wild times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego