Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:53 PM

49 posts, read 203,054 times

Advertisements

On the way to and back, I have seen 4 Yes on prop 8 bumperstickers, thats right, four! On previous occasions, I have spotted a total of 3 Yes on prop 8 bumperstickers.
What about no on 8 bumperstickers; I havn't seen one, not one!!!!

So far San Diego is 7 to 0 in favor of prop 8, and counting. This area is overwhelmingly in favor of this proposition, and even the majority of people online from here are anti-gay despite more of the remainder of the state has the other view.

Alongside that, San Diego has been ground zero for this proposition, in which about half of its funding and support came from the local area ($ 3 million). What support did the opposition get around here, NONE.

There is almost no other point of view here, other than a small neighborhood called Hillcrest. North county is completely void of gays as well as gay enablers, gays are nonexistent here, and virtually everybody that lives here views it as a crime, my family are the only exceptions I know of.

Me thinks that gays and anybody who is even the slightest bit socially liberal are relocated to either NorCal or Los Angeles. Heck, even predominately Republican Orange County would be better, WAY BETTER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 05:03 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
This post borders on paranoia.

A) The poster doesn't get around much. Yard signs are the more frequent form of political expression in So Cal. Given our car culture most people would get a tattoo on their bodies before they would deface their car with a bumper sticker.

B) The reality is that the whole gay marriage idea was pushing the social issues envelope from the beginning. It's not surprising that it might generate a lot of push back, especially when consideration is given for the amount of support the original DOMA initiative generated a decade ago.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:10 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abashi View Post
On the way to and back, I have seen 4 Yes on prop 8 bumperstickers, thats right, four! On previous occasions, I have spotted a total of 3 Yes on prop 8 bumperstickers.
What about no on 8 bumperstickers; I havn't seen one, not one!!!!

So far San Diego is 7 to 0 in favor of prop 8, and counting. This area is overwhelmingly in favor of this proposition, and even the majority of people online from here are anti-gay despite more of the remainder of the state has the other view.

Alongside that, San Diego has been ground zero for this proposition, in which about half of its funding and support came from the local area ($ 3 million). What support did the opposition get around here, NONE.

There is almost no other point of view here, other than a small neighborhood called Hillcrest. North county is completely void of gays as well as gay enablers, gays are nonexistent here, and virtually everybody that lives here views it as a crime, my family are the only exceptions I know of.

Me thinks that gays and anybody who is even the slightest bit socially liberal are relocated to either NorCal or Los Angeles. Heck, even predominately Republican Orange County would be better, WAY BETTER.

I won't get into my views on this, but all I will say is I think your overreacting just a bit. It all depends on the part of the county of course, but San Diego is not un-accepting of gays as a whole, just my opinion.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:52 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
You have a very distorted view of San Diego County and you need to get out more. You live in NORTH COUNTY in OCEANSIDE! Come down to Central SD County and it's fairly different. I don't know anyone who actually supports Prop 8, at least out of my friends who I know have an opinion on it. Go read any of the articles on the SD Union Tribune website and read the comments section, you will find overwhelming opposition to Prop 8. Go look at MAYOR JERRY SANDER's view on the subject, he supports same sex marriage. SD has some backwards thinking people, especially in North and East County, but plenty of other people with more progressive views to offset that. It's a pretty moderate county with diverse views overall.

Also do you have a NO on Prop 8 bumper sticker? It's pretty hypocritical to try to call out people for not having a No on 8 bumper sticker if you don't have one yourself.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:11 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times
I've never seen No on 8 bumper stickers or yard signs. Do they exist?

My neighbor across the street has a Yes on 8 yard sign. I live in Penasquitos. North County is leaning conservative, it has a Republican congressman (originally Cunningham, then Bilbray took his place when Cunningham went to prison); and it voted 55% - 44% for Bush in 2004. East County is even more conservative, 61% - 38% for Bush. As you can imagine, Prop 8 is popular among Republicans.

You'll find less homophobia in the 53rd district (Central San Diego, south of Del Mar and west of 805, Democrat congressman, 61%-38% Kerry).

Personally, I feel that "yes/no on prop 8" and Obama/McCain stickers and signs are offensive and divisive to many people, I wouldn't put them on my lawn or my car. I'd especially avoid "no on 8" and "Obama" living in North County, last thing I need is a Holy War with my neighbors. Not like I'd actually convert anyone with that sticker.

I did request a Yes on 7 sign for my front yard.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:55 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
you live in Oceanside next to the largest Marine installation in the world.

What exactly do you expect?

Move to Hillcrest and all you will see is rainbow flags!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 PM

288 posts, read 919,511 times
I live in Hillcrest, and what I've observed so far is the opposite of what the OP described. During my commute to the Sorrento Valley area I see many more 'No on 8' bumper stickers compared to 'Yes on 8' stickers.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
how strange. why would you say there are no gays in north county. i dont get it.
you mean like militant screaming in your face naked at the fire departmenet gay or people that keep what they do in the bedroom in the bedroom.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post

Personally, I feel that "yes/no on prop 8" and Obama/McCain stickers and signs are offensive and divisive to many people, I wouldn't put them on my lawn or my car. I'd especially avoid "no on 8" and "Obama" living in North County, last thing I need is a Holy War with my neighbors. Not like I'd actually convert anyone with that sticker.

I did request a Yes on 7 sign for my front yard.
It's so funny these two homes next to each other in PB; one has two "Obama 08" signs on the front lawn and their next door neighbor has a "NObama 08" and a "Obama/Marxist" signs on their lawn. I wonder who put their sign up first and if they get along....

Btw I just got my NO on PROP D sign toady planted in front of my apartment complex!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,673 times
Even if San Diego votes overwhelming "Yes" for Prop 8 doesn't make it a "Homophobic Bastion". It just says that they don't believe in same sex marriage. I personally don't believe in it either , but I do believe that same sex couples should get the same benefits that traditional couple receive. They should be able to adopt , and any other benefits that traditional couples have just without clouding the traditional one man one women marriage.

Even the "Liberal" ticket of Obama/Biden doesn't support same sex marriage. Does that make Obama a homophobe?? I don't think so.

I think that San Diegoens as a whole are very tolerant of all people and I think most on this forum would agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego