Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:11 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Don't forget about:
- pickup trucks from Mexico stacked 15 feet high with mattresses
That made me laugh. So true. What's the deal with this ? Is there some secondary market for used matresses in Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 02:13 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times
I lived in CA for the last 15 years and was always one of the ones in the front of the heard.

Now that I've lived in Texas for a few months, when I go back, I feel like I'm in everyone's way and am 15 seconds from getting run over. 80mph is pretty standard there. One thing I did find moving here is that my car gets much better gas mileage because I have to drive 15-20mph slower to get anywhere.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:15 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Many drivers in the San Diego are are not native. Many Marines from all states bring their own ideas to traffic. What is considered normal driving from other states is dangerous and illegal here in CA. Too many times I have been stuck in traffic on the I-5 to see some jarhead passing everyone at 55 on the shoulder.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,576,464 times
Nah
not really
Its all the stupid tourist that come to this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Take the trolley dammit.
Rush hour is not as bad as some think it is.
Also iI think Orange County drivers are far worse than us.
90 MPH for most cars.
Even buses and cars.
San Diego is more like 70,75 MPH

Old 04-19-2007, 11:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
I've driven in just about every major city in the US (including NYC where I learned to drive) and in every city, I've probably said something along the lines of "...the drivers here are nimrods!".

As I've spent more time in SD though, I'm amazed by the lack of driver etiquette out on the road. At first I thought it was an age thing, but it spans from the teens to the old-timers.

*No one waves to let you pass
*No one waves to thank you when you let THEM pass
*If you want in to another lane, be prepared for the other driver to speed up so that you can't get in

As the daughter-in-law of a former 40-yr over-the-road truck driver (he was appalled by the drivers in SD), I'm also aware of being smart around trucks and giving them some courtesty (like don't come up to the back of a truck trying to make that wide turn so that he has no room to maneuver because you're sitting on his a**).

Whenever I do encounter a courteous "wave" driver, it's more often than not someone with out-of-state plates.

Rush hour is definitely not as bad in SD as in other cities (LA, NY, Houston).

And...lastly, beware the drivers with hand-held cell phones. My husband almost got hit in his wheelchair yesterday by some jerk on his cell who wasn't paying attention. I got side-swiped (sitting still) by a gal using her cell in one hand, elbow on the steering wheel & cigarette in the other hand. Know what was sad about that? While I was still writing my information down, she handed me a pre-printed card with all contact/insurance/DL information. Apparently, car accidents were the norm for her & she decided it would be handy to have these cards available.

I do realize that hand-held cell phones while driving is not a problem exclusive to SD (and yes...I have been guilty, too).

Old 04-20-2007, 09:27 AM

840 posts, read 6,516,145 times
I have lived in Denver, CO and supposedly I-25 had some of the worst traffic in the country, I don't think I can back it up, but it wasn't all that bad. The normal driving speed was anywhere between 80-95. Speed limit is 75 for highways. In California the speed limit lowers when entering a city, not in Denver. I even had the pleasure of hitting the morning rush hour traffic with a foot of unplowed snow on I-25 and no stud tires or chains. You would be lucky to get up to 5 mph.

Next is Oregon. Worst drivers ever. Whenever they use their blinker, they'll blink once and cut it off, they jerk into your lane especially coming from an exit into the center lane. They can't merge smoothly. I can go on and on about Oregon drivers.

Now to California. From the Oregon/California border, I swear, the more south I went the better the driving. Everyone knows how bad the 405 is in L.A. but it was so relaxing for some reason, only spent a couple hours in traffic. Then got to San Diego and was even more relaxing then L.A. The drivers knew what they were doing. Even the no-blinker lane-changers weren't that bad and the merging was smooth.

Occasionally, I would see other Oregon plates and notice how they would just mess up the driving flow in California. They'll happily drive fast in Oregon but when they hit California speed (in California), they might as well go out and push their car to wherever they're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: