Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,608 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm about a month away from relocating to SD from S. Florida with my wife, one-year-old son and 70-year-old mother. We're looking to live close to my mother (but blessedly in separate homes!). We plan to rent a single-family home or condo for a little while before we buy. My job is in the Sorrento Valley, so is there a place that meets most of these critieria? We can spend up to 3k/month to rent the house.

Easy access to airport
Less than 20 mins from Tech campus in SV
Not ugly tract housing

I have been focusing on a triangle between Poway/southern RB, Solana Beach, and Mission Beach. I am especially interested in the homes right along Sorrento Valley Rd. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has thoughts on the Wateridge development right next to the tech campus, please chime in as to if that would be a good place to camp out for a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:12 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Character? When I think character, I think tree-lined streets, older homes, quaint downtown area, stuff like that. Is that what you mean? If it is, I'm afraid you won't find it where you are looking. The area where you are looking is very nice, don't get me wrong. But most of the homes there are fairly new. Maybe parts of Del Mar might fit, but you may be pushing your $3K rental budget. Poway and Rancho Bernardo, for all they have, not sure character would be one of those qualities. Maybe I'm defining character differently than you intended. What exactly is it that you are looking for in a community?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,608 times
I think you're on the same wavelength as me in terms of character -- tree canopies, dissimilar styles of houses, older properties, or properties with nice views. When I use Google Street view for many of these areas, I see row after row of similar or identical 1990's houses. Are there any older, more established neighborhoods near Sorrento Valley?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:01 PM

Not really. There are sections of La Jolla that may be what you're looking for. Carmel Valley, west of the 5 freeway and south of Del Mar, has some funky little neighborhoods tucked away with non-tract style homes. You may find something you like there.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:07 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
La Jolla and Encinitas are about as good as you'll get, assuming we rule-out the custom homes in either. I would probably say La Jolla Village (in particular the neighborhoods just south of the village) is the best you will do within 30 minutes of Sorrento Valley.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:41 PM

26 posts, read 166,595 times
90% of Mira Mesa, Sorrento Valley, Carmel Valley, and Poway (the areas you are looking at) were built within the last 20 years. And of that, it will almost exclusively be tract homes. You might find what you're looking for in the older parts of Scripps Ranch (community east of Mira Mesa on the other side of the 15), but I'm not certain what homes in that area rent for or how good the availability is. The places mentioned by the other poster are better in terms of what you're looking for, but not in terms of commute. And commuting to Sorrento Valley can be horrendous.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:23 AM

470 posts, read 1,707,934 times
There are areas of Serra Mesa that have some interesting older homes, and it's very quiet and family friendly. The neighborhood would also be close to Sorrento Valley.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:39 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
The area near where that jet went down can work for you two. It has lot's of nice hoods with older homes.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:32 PM

64 posts, read 443,289 times
I'd suggest Mission Hills. The homes have a ton of character and the neighborhood is friendly, walkable, filled with families, and in a great location. My husband and I rent a 3 bedroom house there and it's definitely under your $3000 budget. We're less than 10 minutes from the airport (but not in the flight path), and I actually work in Sorrento Valley and my commute in the am is 15-20 minutes and in the pm is 20-25 minutes.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The area near where that jet went down can work for you two. It has lot's of nice hoods with older homes.
You should be a realtor. I can hear the call now: "I've got a great three-bedroom to show you today. Where is it? Oh, it's right where that jet went down. Hello? Hello?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego