Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:44 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I took my visiting Mets fan cousin & her friends to Bronx Pizza a couple of years ago. When they saw all the Yankees memorabilia, I thought they were going to walk out. They thought the pizza was great but it was a big thumbs down having to eat & look at the Yankees logo.
haha growing up on LI you have to be a Met fan, I was never a big baseball guy , I still like going to Yankee stadium more than Shea ;-)

Bronx is good but I really miss Vincent's on 25A and New York Ave in Huntington... the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 01:57 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,213 times
[quote=Sassberto;611420]
The overleveraged people who are going to get wacked in this market are concentrated in a few areas more than others:
- new construction on the 56/15 corridor
- new construction in Otay Mesa / San Ysidro area
- new construction in Murietta / Temecula / Winchester / Hemet
- downtown SD condos (esp on the entry-level)
- ultra-high-end condos throughout the city
- fixer starter homes in non-prime areas
- entry-level condo conversions in non-prime areas on the mesa (i.e. City Heights)

And there are an awful lot of the above.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 27,934 times
Default Cost of renting in San Diego

I'm planning on moving to SD in June and I've been researching renting costs (moving in with roommates, those who already have a place) for about the last month or so and it doesn't seem too bad. I'm looking at the $500-$600 range. The places that I'm finding are all over SD area- Chula Vista, Mira Mesa, La Mesa, downtown, Santee....Do you think they are mostly dumbs or would it be reasonable to rent with others, each paying $500???

Thanks!!

Old 04-24-2007, 10:10 PM

17 posts, read 87,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorgirl73 View Post
I'm planning on moving to SD in June and I've been researching renting costs (moving in with roommates, those who already have a place) for about the last month or so and it doesn't seem too bad. I'm looking at the $500-$600 range. The places that I'm finding are all over SD area- Chula Vista, Mira Mesa, La Mesa, downtown, Santee....Do you think they are mostly dumbs or would it be reasonable to rent with others, each paying $500???

Thanks!!
I think if you can both do 600-700, you should be okay. 500 each and you may be sharing a bedroom or living in a bad area.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 PM

12 posts, read 61,845 times
Default about rents, jobs, schools quality of life issues.

If you plan to rent a place, the closer you are to the beach, the more it will cost and the dumpier it will probably be. If you are under 30... I am not addressing this post to the middle age homeowner with a fat job or bank account.
Example: a "condo" (translate dumpy apartment in a prime beach area such as Pacific Beach, Cardiff, Encinitis, seem to be at about $2500 month for a 2/1 (2 bedrooms, one bath). Because they expect to rent them to beachers and surfers. Party pads.
If you are a student, a place to rent anywhere near SDSU or UCSD is going to be expensive and unless you are bankrolled by parents, you will have to team up with multiple roomates.
If you are not one of the lucky ones who bought into a place in the 90's but rather are going to be renting from a big company OR somebody who bought up dumpy little places and rent them out for ridiculous sums, it's going to be tough. You can find a nicer place the farther east and south you go. Plan to drive a lot and to also pay for your own water just about wherever you live. Make sure you factor that into your budget.
Everybody wants that Dream of Living Near The Beach but you may find yourself working several jobs to pay your rent and utilities and not have a heck of a lot of time to play.
Just keep this in mind: This IS an international border town and lots of bad things happen even in the nice neighborhoods. There is a lot of desparation and a strong have and have not mentality in many areas.
This is also a military town and all that goes with that.
It is a huge tourist destination and you will learn that often the best places to vacation in are not the greatest places to live year round. You will probably NOT feel like you're on vacation when you live here.
It is a magnet for the homeless, runaways, hustlers, millions of people sick of the weather in the midwest and northeast.
There are good universities and the neighborhoods are crowded.
Water is precious here and there is not a strong ethic for conservation of natural resources. Everything is overstressed in the infrastructure.
You will probably be like many many before you and have The Dream, Come Out, have a tougher and tougher time making ends meet, you will most probably live in substandard housing and be conned over and over again in many ways. You will be taken advantage of because that is how it seems to be for the most part.
Everyone will be your Best Friend to try to sell you something. There are predators of every kind here. Be wary of who you trust. Very wary.
Have a fallback plan if things don't live up to your expectations. When you find that you keep having to compromise your - pick one- standard of living, ethics, level of safety etc.-- have a fallback plan. Don't invest in a one way ticket. If you make it here past three years, then you have your fallback money, right? Be prepared. Be prepared. Be prepared. And good luck.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:30 PM

41 posts, read 371,622 times
That's a pretty blunt assesment, seashell...i like it.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:37 PM

12 posts, read 61,845 times
Thank you, FL2CA.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:28 PM

4 posts, read 27,862 times
Default Grass is Greener - deux

Actually, for the past year I've been thinking to about moving to SD. I have some business to take care of here in DC (Maryland) which will take 12-18 months to get done, then I'm thinking I'll come out and live there for a year to check it out. My aunt and uncle retired to San Marcos about 4 years ago, and my cousin moved with them, so I do have family out there. I visited last April (2006) and fell in love. My biggest dilemma is giving up 4 seasons, which I absolutely love. I've lived in the DC metro area all my life. But I figure I have nothing to lose by trying it out for a year! It really is beautiful there. When I saw the sunset over the Pacific for the first time, I was hooked.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:14 PM

156 posts, read 680,149 times
i left SD in January...moved to Nashville...it's wonderful!
you can buy a beautiful new 3000 sq ft brick home for around $225K..
....and the people are sooo friendly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego