Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
Anything north of Pendleton is "metro" LA to most people. San Clemente seems to be a far outreaching suberb of LA - Their TV stations are primarily LA, as well as the newspapers. The attitude and people are much different in San Clemente than Oceanside as well--strange what difference 18 miles makes. Ventura and OC get insulted at being considered part of LA, but they are part of that "metro" area.
Really? Everything South of Red Hill Road in Orange County has a distinctly different feel from anything in LA. I can kind of see Anaheim and possibly Santa Ana being grouped with LA, but Irvine, Newport Beach, Mission Viejo, etc? Many parts of Orange County feel more like Utah than LA (if you are familiar with the less urban parts of OC you know what I mean).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Really? Everything South of Red Hill Road in Orange County has a distinctly different feel from anything in LA. I can kind of see Anaheim and possibly Santa Ana being grouped with LA, but Irvine, Newport Beach, Mission Viejo, etc? Many parts of Orange County feel more like Utah than LA (if you are familiar with the less urban parts of OC you know what I mean).
This fact was something I previously didn't know existed until the election\ prop 8 issue. Mormon strongholds in part of southern inland Orange Co [ie. Temecula\ Murrieta Springs] sharply contrasts with the heavily Asian\ Hispanic north county & into Los Angeles.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:28 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
WOW!!! I didn't know we could have a OC v LA thread? speaking of inferior complexes who has the bigger one OC or LA ? and is San Diego like the kid just watching the fight cheering both people on?

Old 01-07-2009, 12:33 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Hmmm. I guess LA considers itself the coolest kid at school, while OC is the pesky little brother always tagging along. one day, the little brother will be big enough to kick the cool kid's butt, but not yet. San Diego? I guess we're the cool kid at the other school. LA doesn't like to acknowledge us. OC is cool with us. For the record, I was born in San Diego, lived and worked in OC for 10 years, and now have moved back home to live and work. So I get the whole LA/OC/ SD thing.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:40 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Actually they are very different. Los Angeles is one huge overgrown city. There are others in the south bay area but it "merged" all the other small cities into one in the 50's.

OC and Riverside may look like one big suburb but there are individual cities run by individual city counsels. This makes a huge difference. Remember when the San Fernando Valley tried to succeed? They get less services than they pay for and wanted their share, and control over their affairs. In the OC and Riverside county, you don't have a city larger than some countries to contend with to get more busses in you area.

In terms of liveability, this is a huge asset. You aren't fighting tooth and nail for your own needs over areas which are very very different and an hour away in traffic.

And people DO resent being said they are in "LA". And will distinctly be from Orange, Santa Ana, Irvine, Riverside, Corona and so forth. In Riverside county, the older cities like Norco, Corona and Riverside have a definate identity. You drive down Magnolia and can tell where Riverside and Corona meet. There are trees everwhere in Riverside and suddenly they become very sparce... There may be a very small space between, but they are by no means suburbs.

Don't live there anymore, don't want to live in socal but still resent the idea that all of socal but San Diego is the mess that LA has become.
I think you mean secede.

I grew up in OC but moved to LA for college and lived and worked in LA as a young adult after college. While living in OC I didn't care for people calling it LA - because it's not. It's a separate county altogether. If you're going to talk about something it's best to know what you are talking about.
I now live in La Quinta and I hate it when people say "Oh you live in Palm Springs." No, I live in La Quinta - 30 minutes away from Palm Springs.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:44 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
LA and Orange county are considered one region. San Diego is a separate region. Many people live in OC and commute to LA but very few commute from/to OC/LA to San Diego. South OC is considered the southernmost extent of the LA/OC/Ventura megalopolis
And that my friends is the best answer in this thread.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
I just use the Census Bureau's definitions. Unfortunately, they have three definitions of the Los Angeles area, which make defining the region a little confusing:

1. The Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana Metropolitan Statistical Area (2005 pop. est. 12,950,129) consists of:

Los Angeles County (9,948,081)
Orange County (3,002,048)

2. The Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside Combined Statistical Area (pop. 17,775,984) consists of:

Los Angeles County (9,948,081)
Orange County (3,002,048)
Riverside County (2,026,803)
San Bernardino County (1,999,332)
Ventura County (799,720)

3. The Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana Urbanized Area (2000 pop. 11,789,487) is more complicated to explain, but it's the most "precise" measurement of the area. Here's a map:

http://ftp2.census.gov/geo/maps/urba...ua51445_00.pdf

In this case, Orange County is essentially divided in half with the northern half belonging to the L.A. area and the southern half having it's own definition as the Mission Viejo Urbanized Area. Using this definition, the Los Angeles and San Diego areas do not connect. See this map for more detail of the separation:

http://ftp2.census.gov/geo/maps/urba...ua51445_00.pdf

Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Question: do people living in San Clemente watch LA tv stations or San Diego? Or both?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:45 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
All of OC gets LA "local" channels (fox, nbc, abc, cbs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego