Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:02 PM

29 posts, read 93,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
So if I hear you right, both PB and Gaslamp are bar/hangout places, but PB is more local and Gaslamp is more tourist and that difference makes you like Gaslamp less?
yes! and its been gradual as I have become less a tourist and more a local. I do want to add that these 2 nabes are the only 2 that I know enough about to comment on in terms of bars...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,883 times
I left San Diego last September for Atlanta and miss SD SO much - I will return soon and not exactly sure why I left in the first place. You're going to love it - even when things are down, at least the weather is great! And there's so much to do there - swap meets, the beach, Gaslamp quarter, Balboa Park, great restaurants - it's got everything - good luck! Liz

Old 03-03-2009, 11:18 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
SDGYRL, if you're into music then you're going to want to pick up a free copy of the San Diego Weekly Reader as it has virtually all of the live music information for the city. It will tell you not only which bands are playing where and when but it will also tell you what type of music they play and sometimes a brief review.
I prefer CityBeat. It's much fresher and hipper if you ask me.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Your "impression after 6 months" post above made for great reading.

Because I don't want you to limit yourself to bars in PB, definitely check out the neighborhoods below and their local bars/lounges/clubs:

North Park/South Park (vicinity of University Ave & 30th St from Adams Ave to Upas St.) is blowing up the most - Toronado, True North, Bar Pink, The Office, U-31, The Linkery, Whistle Stop, Air Conditioned

Hillcrest/Bankers Hill have eclectic choices - gay, straight, mixed, anything goes

More than a few places along Adams Ave. from University Heights to Kensington - Ken Club, Lancers, Rosie O'Grady's, Ould Sod

Ocean Beach up and down Newport Ave.

For a painfully hip scene, East SD is the place to be (Beauty Bar, Radio Room, The Tower, Riviera)

Mission Beach along Mission Blvd (The Pennant and Beachcomber on Sunday afternoon are legendary)

Middletown along India Street near El Indio has a few good places (Bar Dynamite, Aero Club, Shakesphere, Starlite). There's also Spin on Hancock Street which stays open till 4am

Del Mar and La Jolla are cougar central...lol (Jack's, Roppongi, George's, Del Mar Plaza, Epazote, Pacifica)

There you have it, places in my Little Black Book

Last edited by NYSD1995; 03-04-2009 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Sorry, I accidentally hit edit on your post

Old 03-04-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Your "impression after 6 months" post above made for great reading.

Because I don't want you to limit yourself to bars in PB, definitely check out the neighborhoods below and their local bars/lounges/clubs:

North Park/South Park (vicinity of University Ave & 30th St from Adams Ave to Upas St.) is blowing up the most - Toronado, True North, Bar Pink, The Office, U-31, The Linkery, Whistle Stop, Air Conditioned

Hillcrest/Bankers Hill have eclectic choices - gay, straight, mixed, anything goes

More than a few places along Adams Ave. from University Heights to Kensington - Ken Club, Lancers, Rosie O'Grady's, Ould Sod

Ocean Beach up and down Newport Ave.

For a painfully hip scene, East SD is the place to be (Beauty Bar, Radio Room, The Tower, Riviera)

Mission Beach along Mission Blvd (The Pennant and Beachcomber on Sunday afternoon are legendary)

Middletown along India Street near El Indio has a few good places (Bar Dynamite, Aero Club, Shakesphere, Starlite). There's also Spin on Hancock Street which stays open till 4am

Del Mar and La Jolla are cougar central...lol (Jack's, Roppongi, George's, Del Mar Plaza, Epazote, Pacifica)

There you have it, places in my Little Black Book
thanks sdurbanite! these look good. North Park is next on my list...

Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtosandiego24 View Post
-Surfing
the best for last. And this is a direct result of living in PB. I was interested in doing this, but it was waaay down the list. But living here, seeing people walk through my parking lot every day with their boards, made an impression. I started taking lessons, and who knew? I'm actually good at it! (but a massive qualifier, I am a good beginner!). The first time you ride a wave in is indescribable, you think you will fall but you don't. You feel you power of the wave pushing you, and you see the shore coming at you. And there you are. I see why people do this everyday. I'm hooked.

When you move somewhere, you never know what you will get into and how it will change you...
How did the locals treat you in the water? were they possessive? i have heard things about certain blocks. kind of intimidating.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
How did the locals treat you in the water? were they possessive? i have heard things about certain blocks. kind of intimidating.
I haven't encountered anything and I haven't noticed anyone else having issues. It will be more interesting during the summer I think, but I think if you follow the etiquette you will be fine. Stop watching Point Break!

Old 03-08-2009, 03:45 AM

190 posts, read 704,761 times
OP, You def need to check out Balboa Park. After that, walk along Hillcrest's main drag(University Avenue between 4th and Park Blvd) for some window shopping if you don't like the malls!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:30 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtosandiego24 View Post
I haven't encountered anything and I haven't noticed anyone else having issues. It will be more interesting during the summer I think, but I think if you follow the etiquette you will be fine. Stop watching Point Break!
Not so much point break, as the craigslist "rants n raves" section. people on craigslist loooooove to talk trash.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
There is localism in certain places, windansea is notorious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego