Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:44 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,223 times

Advertisements

I am living in the East Village of downtown SD now and I went to Albertson's just blocks from my place and I spent 100 bucks on what would've been under 85 bucks at any other non downtown/city Albertson's. Is there any other grocery stores within 5 minutes driving that are more affordable? I know downtown the options seem to be Albertson's or Ralphs... I'm not looking to do Costco or anything like that since it's just me living here, and I usually go once a week to a regular grocery store, spend about 60 bucks a week is my goal. 100 for this outing was way too much for how little I was able to fill my fridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 01:02 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
Those are your only choices within walking distance, unless you go to SuperJr on Broadway. There's a Food4Less is at 47th & Market, and there's also one in Mission Valley. If you're going to drive, try some of the ethnic markets in City Heights, you'll be amazed at how low their prices are. Example: I go to LaEspecial Produce at 46th & University. Their Roma tomatoes were $.49 per lb, onions are 2lbs for $1.00, and cucumbers were 6 for $1.00. This was as of last week, and I go there once a week. I've been getting tomatoes from my patio tomato plant, but not many, so I supplement.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:27 PM

4,538 posts, read 12,399,512 times
Yes, I think you will have to save the downtown, within walking distance, Ralphs and Albertson's for emergency "must have, NOW!" single item purchases, and do your big shopping trips at the Mission Valley Food 4 Less. That's what I do.

One warning about Food 4 Less though, those expiration dates on the milk, are absolute. If it says "sell by" August 4th, that means the milk is turning bad on August 4th. There's no wiggle room.

Regarding the City Heights ethnic supermarkets, I'm not as adventurous as Moved. I've poked my head into some of them, but I just can't take the next step to actually buy something. These ethnic markets are often a combination of ethnic boutique, with pricey, hard to find gourmet import items, coupled with a limited, 'ghetto market' range of other items. Also, I've seen real live butchers behind the meat counter ready to prepare special cuts of meat and give you the exact amount you want rather than what's been pre-packaged, but I've never actually been brave enough to purchase meat at a non-chain supermarket. Still, if sometime you want to impress a date on your gourmet cooking skills, starting out with some unique item purchased in City Heights that she's never eaten before, may be the way to go.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 PM

The only ethnic market that I've bought meat from is Pancho Villa at 32nd & El Cajon. I also buy produce there on occasion. I buy my meat from the grocery stores, but I watch the sale ads to get good buys. I also check the last sale date stickers on meat when I'm in the grocery store, and if I buy some, I freeze it right away. Pancho Villa has boneless breast of chicken on sale for $1.59/lb. That's less than when Albertson's has it on sale for $1.79/lb. If you watch the sale ads, you can save, but if you just go in cold - you'll spend! Using coupons helps, too! If you want to stock up on canned goods, try the 99 cent only store.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:05 PM

What chain supermarkets are close to downtown but not in downtown and where are they? I.E. Albertson's, Ralph's, Von's, Whole Food's, Henry's, Trader Joe's? Best prices?

Old 08-03-2009, 04:30 PM

Ralph's and Food4Less - Mission Valley.
Ralph's, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's - Hillcrest.
Henry's -University Heights.
Vons - North Park
Albertsons & Vons - Mission Hills

If you want the best prices, look in the sale ads every week. That's what I do, and I also use coupons.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Ralph's and Food4Less - Mission Valley.
Ralph's, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's - Hillcrest.
Henry's -University Heights.
Vons - North Park
Albertsons & Vons - Mission Hills
That's it! There is also a Smart & Final downtown, close to the 5 freeway & G St, I believe.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 PM

The prices at Smart & Final are kind of high. The downtown location is at 15th & G.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 AM

Which ones out of all of these are generally the lower prices? I always thought Albertsons and Ralphs to have the lowest prices. I don't have any experience with Henry's, what is that like? Mostly produce?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:37 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,861 times
Henry's is sorta like a poormans Whole Foods. Produce and healthy food options

Henry's Farmers Market Home (http://www.henrysmarkets.com/h/home/ - broken link)

Another place worth checking out is Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market. It's a British chain and the closest one to downtown is in Point Loma (they are currently building one in North Park, which is even closer). It's very similar to Trader Joe's, although I still like TJ's more. Prices are about the same as Trader Joe's, too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego