Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:53 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,455,752 times

Advertisements

[quote=carlos123;9760222 I operate with very high integrity (as a result of my Christian faith), have never been a drunkard or drug addict. And I don't steal from anyone. Not even a penny. I pay for what I use. I don't abuse the system or resort to begging or panhandling (preferring to trust God for my needs).

I operate with very high integrity because that is the type of person I am naturally. I don't abuse the system or resort to begging or panhandling because I create the money I make myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 03:55 PM

105 posts, read 298,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
But aren't you the one with the bright pink bike? If so . . . then I feel instant envy!

And that 11 year old bucket is paid for? Gotta love it.
lol Yes, I have the bright pink cruiser. I love it so, and it just screams San Diego to me. I wouldn't own it anywhere else.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:11 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,173,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldupuy View Post
I operate with very high integrity because that is the type of person I am naturally. I don't abuse the system or resort to begging or panhandling because I create the money I make myself!
Glad to know you listen to your God given conscience and that you make good use of the money God provides you with the ability to make too

Carlos

Old 07-15-2009, 04:23 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Default Sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
Glad to know you listen to your God given conscience and that you make good use of the money God provides you with the ability to make too

Carlos
God does not provide me money I gladly work and earn the money I make on my own. If I decided to just stop going to work, I 100% guarantee that God will not knock on my door and hand me money! I find it difficult to relate to the way you think. You choose to live in poverty in San Diego or anywhere you go. I choose to work and earn my money and I create my own comfort level. I am 100% in control of that…that is where you and I differ. I created what I have in life it was not God given.

Sorry to be off of the topic but the God speak needs to be moved to the religious forum for sure!

Last edited by TVC15; 07-15-2009 at 05:26 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 04:54 PM

36 posts, read 211,855 times
Exclamation See what happens...

Quote:
God does not provide me money I gladly work and earn the money I make on my own. If I decided to just stop going to work, I 100% guarantee that God will not knock on my door and hand me money! I find it absurd that you think like you do and you choose to live in poverty in San Diego or anywhere you go. I choose to work and earn my money and I create my own comfort level. I am 100% in control of that…that is where you and I differ. I created what I have in life it was not God given.

Sorry to be off of the topic but the God speak needs to be moved to the religious forum for sure!
I don't think Carlos was saying that if you choose to stop working, God will somehow magically send you money. That's ridiculous. It's our duty to take advantage of the opportunities that come our way...not just sit around and wait for something to be handed to us. I just think he's saying that what you've used to make yourself successful is a gift from God. Intelligence, opportunities, etc. Everyone is different. Everyone has different gifts but I'm assuming you think you did that all by yourself? If that's the case, dare for it to be taken away because clearly, you're 100% in charge of your life, right? Maybe I'm mistaken but there are waaayyy too many things in this life that I have no control over. Yeah, I know this isn't a "religious" forum but you sound a tad irritated/insulted. If you don't believe in what he said, just dismiss it as "crazy talk"...and don't forget to dare for it to be taken away!

Also, Carlos, are you choosing to live in poverty? I skimmed through the thread but I didn't think you were living in poverty. I just assumed you were trying to tell us that you're making the best of the life you've been given, the opportunities that come your way and just being thankful for what you have and enjoying life to the fullest. Not sitting around thinking you can't change your situation (if there's a situation to change)...

Last edited by SoCalNative25; 07-15-2009 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 07-15-2009, 05:10 PM

Default Not so fast! ;)

[quote=SoCalNative25;9782607]I don't think Carlos was saying that if you choose to stop working, God will somehow magically send you money. That's ridiculous. I just think he's saying that what you've used to make yourself successful is a gift from God. Intelligence, opportunities, etc. Everyone is different. Everyone has different gifts but I'm assuming you think you did that all by yourself? Yeah, I know this isn't a "religious" forum but why do you sound so irritated? If you don't believe in it, just dismiss it as "crazy talk", right?

Sorry but people passing the buck for their success or failure off on everything else but the choices that they've made in life gets pretty old. Did not intend to sound irritated just tired of hearing people not taking responsibility for the choices they have made in life. It is hard to dismiss that mindset since spreading that mindset affects lives. If you don't like my message then why don't you just dismiss it?????

Old 07-15-2009, 05:19 PM

[quote=dldupuy;9782830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalNative25 View Post
I don't think Carlos was saying that if you choose to stop working, God will somehow magically send you money. That's ridiculous. I just think he's saying that what you've used to make yourself successful is a gift from God. Intelligence, opportunities, etc. Everyone is different. Everyone has different gifts but I'm assuming you think you did that all by yourself? Yeah, I know this isn't a "religious" forum but why do you sound so irritated? If you don't believe in it, just dismiss it as "crazy talk", right?

Sorry but people passing the buck for their success or failure off on everything else but the choices that they've made in life gets pretty old. Did not intend to sound irritated just tired of hearing people not taking responsibility for the choices they have made in life. It is hard to dismiss that mindset since spreading that mindset affects lives. If you don't like my message then why don't you just dismiss it?????
*I edited the first part for clarification...

I don't think people should pass the buck, either. Just like I said in my edited part, we are responsible for taking advantage of the opportunities we were given. But, is Carlos living in poverty b/c he thinks God wants him to so he doesn't want to change his situation? If he is, I don't agree with that but I don't think he is. I don't even think he's living in poverty but I guess we'll see...if he responds.

And, I didn't say I didn't like your message...I don't even think I sounded irritated in my response. I was just trying to see where you were coming from. But, it's a free country and we've spoken our peace...I guess we'll move on.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:

I will respect your wishes and not get into it more with you but I do find it odd how people are always wanting Christians to go hide their God in some little corner of the world where He is out of sight.

I mean it's like asking someone to hide the fact that they are married to a wonderful woman or something. A bit tough to do .

Anyway...back to the issue of living happily in San Diego without much money...I guess.

Carlos

Old 07-16-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalNative25 View Post
I don't think Carlos was saying that if you choose to stop working, God will somehow magically send you money. That's ridiculous. It's our duty to take advantage of the opportunities that come our way...not just sit around and wait for something to be handed to us. I just think he's saying that what you've used to make yourself successful is a gift from God. Intelligence, opportunities, etc. Everyone is different. Everyone has different gifts but I'm assuming you think you did that all by yourself? If that's the case, dare for it to be taken away because clearly, you're 100% in charge of your life, right? Maybe I'm mistaken but there are waaayyy too many things in this life that I have no control over. Yeah, I know this isn't a "religious" forum but you sound a tad irritated/insulted. If you don't believe in what he said, just dismiss it as "crazy talk"...and don't forget to dare for it to be taken away!

Also, Carlos, are you choosing to live in poverty? I skimmed through the thread but I didn't think you were living in poverty. I just assumed you were trying to tell us that you're making the best of the life you've been given, the opportunities that come your way and just being thankful for what you have and enjoying life to the fullest. Not sitting around thinking you can't change your situation (if there's a situation to change)...
Absolutely agree with everything you said SoCalNative. Of course it's ridiculous to think that we can sit around, do nothing, and that God will somehow throw money at us. It doesn't work that way.

I never said that and do not now say any such thing.

As for my choosing to live in poverty...well to some degree my circumstances are most definitely a result of choices I have made in life (good or not so good choices). In that sense I suppose one could rightly say that I have chosen to live in poverty. But it is likewise true that some of my circumstances are absolutely beyond my control.

For example in recent weeks I have become almost all but crippled as a result of something being wrong with my knees (first one blew up like a watermelon and now both are hurting to the point where I still can't walk right). So my job options are limited in that sense. I literally can't walk right and get into pain when I kneel or otherwise put extra pressure on my knees. The doctors don't yet know what is wrong.

My only real option for work is to do what I am doing. Work over the Internet and focus on that more and more. The Lord is providing for me for sure (remember I can't deny who He is in my life...if anyone doesn't like that just ignore what I say just as I choose to ignore any number of things others say about their relationship to sin).

Tomorrow I am installing Linux on a netbook for someone so I am getting work. I just need to redouble my efforts to introduce myself to more local companies who might want to make use of my services is all.

And no I am not passing the buck to God for my poverty. My poverty if you want to call it that is all on my own head as a result of choices I have made in life. It is not God's doing at all. If anything I have not made the kinds of choices I should have made in times past. I could have done things differently and ended up with more money. My point was that poor or not that one can live happily in San Diego or anywhere else if they have true riches in their life. For me those true riches involve a right relationship with God and good friends. If I have that, in a very real sense who cares if I have money or not! Not diminishing the need for me to do everything I can. Not saying that at all. Only who cares if I have money or not if I have those things that I consider to be far more important than money in my life.

I am tremendously and I overwhelmingly enriched by having a right relationship with God and absolutely wonderful friends. That to me is worth more than all the money in the world and I mean that literally. To be content and happy in life while having very little in the way of material possessions is a secret that few people ever discover but a secret worth knowing! Though I have made some bad choices in life I also would never have been in a place of having to learn that secret if I had not fallen into having very little such that I had to come to grips with what was truly important in life. I am thankful for having had the chance to experience humble circumstances as it has changed my life for the better. I used to be one of the most arrogant people around. My circumstances have humbled me and made me a much better man though I also need to do better at pursuing opportunities in line with my skills.

Carlos

Last edited by carlos123; 07-16-2009 at 01:15 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
I will respect your wishes and not get into it more with you but I do find it odd how people are always wanting Christians to go hide their God in some little corner of the world where He is out of sight.

I mean it's like asking someone to hide the fact that they are married to a wonderful woman or something. A bit tough to do .

Anyway...back to the issue of living happily in San Diego without much money...I guess.

Carlos
I know, right!? Forget that! Let our light shine!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego