Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 06:15 PM

137 posts, read 429,109 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am researching the area and trying to find a city in the San Diego area similar to where we live now in the Denver area. A friend recommended Temecula but that may be a little far from San Diego.

Basically what we're looking for is an independant city that has pretty much everything we need without having to drive much. We can head into the city if we need to for entertainment, etc but really don't have to. A place where my wife can walk or bike to a walkable downtown for coffee, lunch, people watching, etc. Anything but a sprawling suburb with nothing but chains and strip malls.

A beach town would be cool but it's more important to be close to trails for mountain biking and trail running. If I have to drive 40 minutes to get to the beach but can be on the trails in 20 that'd be preferable.

We'd be looking to rent for now, approximately $1300/mo.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 07:24 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
Southern California, as a rule, doesn't rate very high for bicycle friendliness. It's too bad because the climate is so conducive to it, but the traffic is truly monstrous and on-road cycling can be rather dangerous even in fairly "rural" areas of the county. The only SDC city to have a bicycle-friendly rating at all is Oceanside which has a "bronze" level rating from the League of American Bicyclists. There are supposed to be some nice rides off the CA-76 corridor from Fallbrook to Vista. When it comes to mountain biking amenities, SoCal seems to trail way behind NorCal. SoCal is very much a motorhead culture. Automobilism is the official state religion there.

Thousand Oaks has a lot of incorporated open space and might fit your needs better, but it's in Ventura County.

In terms of San Diego neighborhoods themselves, Hillcrest, University Heights and North Park might be worth taking a look at, but it would be better to get a well-informed opinion from a cyclist/pedestrian who actually lives there...and that's not me.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:33 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
Ramona could be your town. It's a little 'out there' but not as far as Temecula.

Here's a map to the nearest beach (40 minutes):
from: 12600 North Torrey Pines Road,LaJolla,(between Carmel Valley Road & Genesee Avenue), 92037 (Torrey Pines State Beach) to: ramona ca - Google Maps

All about Ramona: Ramona, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Ramona sample rental: Home for rent (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/apa/1375440385.html - broken link)

Old 09-20-2009, 02:53 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,864 times
You should come out and visit before you even think about the area. Given the landscape most people who live here drive quite a bit and live in suburban boredom.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:33 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times
Ramona is nothing like Temec.

OP, honestly, you're not going to find what you're looking for out here. In my opinion the absolute closest I would suggest would be:

- Eastern Escondido, nowhere near the 15
- Northern Oceanside
- Northeastern Poway

Problem is, none of those areas have a "downtown" feel to them. But in terms of proximity to everything you need (while still being reasonably safe areas) they're three of the best. Sassberto might have some better suggestions.

In my opinion, if you're not into surburbia, that really disqualifies most everything except Downtown San Diego and La Jolla. La Jolla is decent for what you want as far as atmosphere, but in my opinion it's lacking in terms of general shopping. Sounds to me though that Downtown and/or Balboa area are your best bets, maybe Pacific Beach.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 6,931 times
If you like Temecula, you would love Encinitas and Olivenhain...they are semi-rual areas and they are only 25-30 mins from downtown. Rancho Santa Fe has that atmosphere as well, but unless you make 2 million/year, don't look there!

Last edited by NYSD1995; 09-22-2009 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Moderator cut: no realtor advertising please

Old 09-22-2009, 11:58 PM

5 posts, read 21,298 times
I wouldn't pass up Alpine. It may not hit at your list of wanted's but it is quite beautiful out there. Little town feel while still being close to the city. Most everyday shops can be found in Alpine. 25mins to the beach (without traffic), nearby Cleveland Nation Forest for trails and whatnot.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 PM

26 posts, read 104,935 times
stay in Temecula if you only want to spend $1300

Old 09-25-2009, 08:26 AM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle06 View Post
Hello,

I am researching the area and trying to find a city in the San Diego area similar to where we live now in the Denver area. A friend recommended Temecula but that may be a little far from San Diego.

Basically what we're looking for is an independant city that has pretty much everything we need without having to drive much. We can head into the city if we need to for entertainment, etc but really don't have to. A place where my wife can walk or bike to a walkable downtown for coffee, lunch, people watching, etc. Anything but a sprawling suburb with nothing but chains and strip malls.

A beach town would be cool but it's more important to be close to trails for mountain biking and trail running. If I have to drive 40 minutes to get to the beach but can be on the trails in 20 that'd be preferable.

We'd be looking to rent for now, approximately $1300/mo.

Thanks!
Alpine is the only place that can do that for you here. The one thing you'll have to get used to though is the heat. If you don't like heat then Delmar or Encinitas would suite you well. You have to travel a ways to get into mts like what you are used to looking at.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:11 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
. If you don't like heat then Delmar or Encinitas would suite you well..
I think the OP will have trouble finding a nice rental for $1300 per month in these places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego