Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 AM

146 posts, read 266,528 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for the phone number of a group that helps women. We have one here in Sarasota FL. and they help with career assesment, interviewing rehearsal, classes on wills, death, yoga, mentoring, etc.

What is most useful is they can tell you the numbers of what jobs/career are in NEED locally and exactly what the range of earnings are.

So if you can help me with what you may have in San Diego county that is like this, I'd appreciate it.

I am wide open for career/job, looking forward to school /training, but my destination is your area, not my own, so I'd like to look at career/jobs from that perspective.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 05:49 AM

Well....how about any agency I could telephone and ask what are jobs/careers needed in San Diego with the average paid wages?

I already know from these forums that being a teacher is out.
I don't know what to major in at school here to enable me to move to San Diego county!

Any ideas on how to find out?

Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Biotech is a good choice for San Diego. We have a large number of biotech companies in the county.

Here's what Wikipedia says:
"San Diego's economy is largely composed of agriculture, biotechnology/biosciences, computer sciences, electronics manufacturing, defense-related manufacturing, financial and business services, ship-repair, ship-construction, software development, telecommunications, wireless research, and tourism."

San Diego - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-29-2009, 03:50 PM

Thanks cruitr, that's a creative way to go about it, good thinking.

I did call the UC of San Diego today and I was told for hot jobs, computer science, engineering anything biotech, needing lab skills, healthcare, nurse practitioner, physicians assistant, all healthcare, and hospitality.

To me hospitality is the worst career choice, but I think there are so many careers in healthcare that it might be my best bet. Biotech has no appeal to me.

He also said to go on the usajobs dot gov. and look at federal jobs because for the next decade the money going into that will have jobs available. You can search by area (San Diego) so that was useful too.

If anyone has some other ideas to help please add them here.

Thank you

Old 09-29-2009, 04:45 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,705 times
San Diego Workforce Partnership: San Diego Workforce Partnership - specializes in bringing qualified job seekers and employers together

Notably this link: http://www.sandiegoatwork.com/generate/html/LMI/Leading_industries_Guides.html (broken link)

Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 AM

mini cute exactly what I needed, occupations, number employed/expected, incomes--
Thank you so much.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:19 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
San Diego Workforce Partnership, i.e., One Stop Career Centers, don't help find you a job, nor do they tell you what type of careers are needed in San Diego. They have a room full of computers for you to use for your job search, (two hours at a time), offer counseling and employment, and employment assessment. You have to register with CalJobs, go through an orientation, interview and then you are assigned a caseworker. After you complete all of that, you are eligible to use their services.

They have vacancy announcements on the wall that are printed out from different websites, but they're not kept updated, nor is CalJobs.

I lost my full time job in January, and have been on unemployment since March. I have a part-time job that I've had since 11/07 that I work, and I'll be getting my first unemployment extension in November. I use a Career Center on a regular basis for mostly making copies. I do my job hunting from home, and average 2-4 hours per day online submitting resumes.

The caseworkers are there to answer questions and help people on the computers. They will also help you in CalJobs or other job boards, but they don't get you a job or interviews, that's up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: