Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 12:15 PM

124 posts, read 377,083 times

Advertisements

Living in San Diego is great. I live in Rancho Penasquito and I have been keeping track of the housing market here. Everybody says housing price in SD will drop, but I don't see that. In fact, Data Quick news in April mentioned that sale activity drops but median price actually goes up here in SD. I have also observed that phenomenon. Why is that? Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 01:02 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalduckmoore View Post
Living in San Diego is great. I live in Rancho Penasquito and I have been keeping track of the housing market here. Everybody says housing price in SD will drop, but I don't see that. In fact, Data Quick news in April mentioned that sale activity drops but median price actually goes up here in SD. I have also observed that phenomenon. Why is that? Any opinions?
There are numerous reasons, but most explanations seem to point to the glut of low-end condos and condo conversions, and other high-priced entry-level property that is sitting on the market. The higher-priced homes are selling so the median moves up despite declining sales.

Medians are not the best metric but it's about all they've got. Personally I gauge the market on a much more micro-level - I watch the sales in my neighborhood and the ones immediately around us. I can say that while sales are softer than they've been in a long time, prices have not fallen precipitously.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:32 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
I don't see that happening, actually. 2 years ago, my husband and I were looking at condos. They were between $425-500 for a 2 bedroom condo. This year we looked at some of the exact same places (not the same unit but in the same complex, floor plan, etc.), and the prices were now from $325-400. It was easily a complete $100,000 drop in price. We're so glad we didn't buy 2 years ago.

V. =)

Old 05-10-2007, 05:37 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
I think Sassberto's explanation makes sense. In particular there has been a tremendous glut of low end condo conversions that have slumped badly in price. However, the supply of future conversions is easily turned off, and reconversion back to rentals is pretty easy, so that supply should diminish this coming year. My local planning advisory board hasn't seen a condo conversion project come before them for nearly a year. Previously, there would be 1 to 3 projects every month.

As for my particular micro market, my neighborhood peaked in the 4th quarter of 2004. In the 2 1/2 years since then prices for single family homes dropped about 15%. However, it seems that in the past 6 months prices have hit a floor. I don't believe they will fall much more and will stay at these adjusted levels for the next few years. Since my neighborhood peaked about 6 to 9 months before most other areas, I believe the rest of San Diego will hit this plateau this summer.

As for price gains, those won't be coming for years.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:42 PM

102 posts, read 325,774 times
which neighborhood you're living ?

I think Sassberto's explanation makes sense. In particular there has been a tremendous glut of low end condo conversions that have slumped badly in price. However, the supply of future conversions is easily turned off, and reconversion back to rentals is pretty easy, so that supply should diminish this coming year. My local planning advisory board hasn't seen a condo conversion project come before them for nearly a year. Previously, there would be 1 to 3 projects every month.

As for my particular micro market, my neighborhood peaked in the 4th quarter of 2004. In the 2 1/2 years since then prices for single family homes dropped about 15%. However, it seems that in the past 6 months prices have hit a floor. I don't believe they will fall much more and will stay at these adjusted levels for the next few years. Since my neighborhood peaked about 6 to 9 months before most other areas, I believe the rest of San Diego will hit this plateau this summer.

As for price gains, those won't be coming for years.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:17 PM

124 posts, read 377,083 times
What area do you live?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,484,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post

Medians are not the best metric but it's about all they've got. Personally I gauge the market on a much more micro-level - I watch the sales in my neighborhood and the ones immediately around us. I can say that while sales are softer than they've been in a long time, prices have not fallen precipitously.

It doesn't look to me like this is the case 4 years later. I'm interested in possibly buying in Rolando and am seeing sales much lower than peak pricing. I suppose most of the drop happened after your 2007 post?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
I suppose most of the drop happened after your 2007 post?
Stock market and general economy crashed in Oct 08. 08-09 was the foreclosure boom when the housing market essentially collapsed, and while at this point that seems over, anyone selling a house now is probably in some kind of distress. If you are looking at houses in Rolando DM me on specific addresses and I'll let you know what's good. Only area I would stay away from is around Clay Park, Stanley, Seminole, and anything too close to ECB or University. Would also avoid Rolando Park (neighborhood south of University) for the most part, but there are OK blocks in there too and it is cheaper. The blocks around Rolando Blvd is best and any of the Italian-named streets (Maracco, Lorca, Tarragonna, Revillo, Aragon) are good. East towards La Mesa is also OK, but a bit less well-kept and a bit of a hodgepodge due to the homes being built when the area was unincorporated. As far as I can tell 375k seems like the sweet spot if you want something reasonably renovated and move-in ready, below that you get into the small / unrenovated / trashed homes. The last foreclosure house in my immediate area just sold for that mark and is a turnkey home, on a canyon, quiet street. Also would strongly look at the areas right around La Mesa Village to the southwest and east, a bit pricier and very little for sale at any time, but some nice homes there... just watch out for structural issue because of the terrain.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:22 AM

745 posts, read 1,568,503 times
I live in Rolando Park and love it. Neighbors are friendly. We have an activity Community Association. It is quiet and feels safe. My ONLY complaint are the people who don't keep their houses and yards up. Too many of those and it's annoying. Otherwise we are happy as clams in Rolando Park. I would recommend it. I have zero complaints on my street but know someone on Vivien who has complained about houses, or a house, full of SDSU students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego