Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 12:06 AM

7 posts, read 6,912 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving from Canada on a TN visa for work. What are the areas of the city I should avoid, both for living and in general? I mean from a crime perspective. Any recommendations on a nice, upscale neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 12:10 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
What's your rental budget per month, and what area of San Diego is your job in?

Old 09-11-2012, 07:54 AM

My rental budget is $1700 per month, my job is located in 'Carmel Mountain' west of Poway.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:33 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,599,151 times
From a safety perspective, there are very few unsafe areas in San Diego. And none around Carmel Mountain Ranch or Poway. Stuff happens everywhere, of course, but generally San Diego is safe.

Your rental budget is pretty good, so the next question is what you prefer in a neighborhood. Single? Night-life? Family-oriented? How important are good schools? Are you hoping to avoid long commutes?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,046 times
That entire general area is safe so you won't have to worry about crime. You might find that area boring unless you have a family. LOTS of families in that Carmel Mountain, Poway, Rancho Penasquitos, Rancho Bernardo area.

Carmel Valley has a lot of families too but there are also many young professionals there so you might want to check out that area and it's close to the beaches of Del Mar. $1,700 is a good budget if you only need a 1 bedroom apartment in that area. Closer to work you can get 2 bedroom places for that budget.

If you're in Carmel Valley you can easily get to work via I-56 or if that gets congested, depending on where you live, you can take Del Mar Heights to Carmel Valley and there isn't usually much traffic on Carmel Valley heading all the way over to Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:04 PM

Hello again,

Thanks for all the helpful thoughtful replies thus far, I hope it is representative of people in general in San Diego!

I'm 25, single, and (happily) unattached. I wouldn't mind living close to some night life or beaches, but my main concern is living in a nice neighbourhood. You have to excuse my bias coming from Canada where our urban centres are generally smaller and have less incidences of violent crime. But you are absolutely right that stuff happens everywhere so I should keep things in context. Mainly I was looking for if there are any neighbourhoods that I should avoid without question.

I don't mind longer commutes, but my main preference would be to either rely on public transportation or a bike to get to work. I don't even own a car atm, but it looks like a car is a necessity in socal.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:37 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,599,151 times
Public transportation isn't wonderful in Carmel Mountain Ranch. So it sort of depends exactly where you're working. If you're not working near a public transit stop, then you'll probably want to live in CMR itself and bike to work. CMR is not a very lively place for a 25-year-old, I would think.

If you're working near a public transit stop, then you can be more flexible about where to live.

Here's the public transportation for San Diego County: Transit.511sd.com

And yes, even if you use public transportation to commute, you'll eventually want a car to play. Or maybe you'll only need it occasionally, and might just rent a car when you need one.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:51 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,644 times
I moved down from Toronto 18 years ago and am still alive! I know from firsthand experience the Canadian apprehension with American cities and gun violence - its a bit overblown, certainly in SD. Sure, there are shady areas, mostly in the southeastern part of the City of San Diego itself, but nothing like a Compton or South-Central LA. I'd say the shady areas are on par with some of the rougher parts of Toronto eg Jane-Finch.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:55 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,644 times
Another thing - and you may be exploring this already - a TN visa is really convenient but by its nature it's meant to be temporary - I renewed mine a LOT but if you think you might be staying more than a couple of years, may want to look into an H1B or something like that.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:03 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
I moved down from Toronto 18 years ago and am still alive! I know from firsthand experience the Canadian apprehension with American cities and gun violence - its a bit overblown, certainly in SD. Sure, there are shady areas, mostly in the southeastern part of the City of San Diego itself, but nothing like a Compton or South-Central LA. I'd say the shady areas are on par with some of the rougher parts of Toronto eg Jane-Finch.
^^ This.

As a general rule of thumb, I would guesstimate that most crime in SD is isolated to a few specific areas of concentration. While there are some crimes outside of those 'hot' areas, you will hear about residential type crime like the occassional burglary, stolen car or drunk in public etc.
Even many of those crimes tend to be targeted from what I have read in reports from the Sheriffs Dept.

The grey area between these types of crimes vs gang warzone is pretty wide. Yes that is an extreme analogy, but I think most of the regular posters here on city-data would say that San Diego is genreally pretty safe. The big difference between the underserved communities and the nicer areas are quite obvious and can be black and white in terms of aesthtics, functionality and overall neighborhood pride (eg dumpy houses mixed in with well kept older homes)
Its also likely that some of these unsafe areas where you would live are more bedroom communities or car centric where you would need to drive outside the area to get stuff anway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego