Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:52 AM

664 posts, read 1,946,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
The Wild Animal Park isn't an amusement park in the traditional sense - it's a really big zoo, where you can see the animals in an environment that more closely resembles their natural habitat than most zoos. And it's not like a normal zoo where the animals are in small cages, and you see them close-up - if you want that try the San Diego Zoo.

Suggesting someone go to Sea World or Disneyland instead only works if they really wanted an amusement park, and weren't really interested in the educational part of the experience.
I wasn't saying Wild Animal Park was an amusement park, I was saying Legoland is one and not a very good one. As far as the Wild Animal Park, gotto disagree with you. The whole park is made up just like a zoo with the exception of the tram ride which is supposed to look like their natural habitat but I think it's real hard to see them. And Sea World has a ton of learning. Again, this is my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 11:03 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
SD zoo is better than both these. Seaworld is a rip an has no shade.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:48 PM

181 posts, read 466,013 times
Hi Person who wrote this Thread. Glad your coming to visit San Diego! I would definatley do Legoland and Wild Animal Park on two different days... Even if you could space a relaxing day in between you won't feel so burnt out I haven't been to either personally.. I have an annual pass for the SD zoo and WAP, I've been so busy I haven't had time to go to WAP yet... Something to think about if you feel it is too much driving... maybe you should do Legoland, and then do the San Diego Zoo. The zoo is very close to downtown (right in Balboa park) PLUS, the baby panda is finally out for people to see, which I think is cool. It's fun to pack a little picnic and go down into Balboa Park find a nice spot to have your picnic and then go back into the zoo... Your WAP passes should be able to be used at SD zoo Something to think about

Old 12-17-2009, 03:48 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Hi there,

I have some questions and would love some insider tips.

1.How far is Legoland from Wild Animal Park? If we're staying in San Diego downtown, does it make sense to go to both of these in one day, since they are both outside the city (and both north?)

2. can you do both in one day?

3.If we're going to Legoland one day, is there anything on the way up or back we should do? would it make sense to stop in La Jolla? or save for a seperate outing?
If you're staying downtown, I'd suggest the Zoo over the Wild Animal Park. Less travel time, and you have the rest of Balboa Park to wander around in, if you like. I feel like the zoo is more bang for your buck these days, especially since you have to pay extra at the WAP to see the stuff that used to be free on the tram.

(They're both pretty cool, especially for someone who hasn't been to either place, but IMHO the zoo might be a better value for you)

You won't want to do both in one day- it's a bit much.

You could probably spend a couple of hours wandering around La Jolla, the Cove, the children's pool (be sure to take a hike up the cliffs on the path above the shell shop!) but it could be done as a side trip to Legoland pretty easily if you get going early in the a.m.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:50 PM

181 posts, read 466,013 times
I didn't care for Seaworld, not that you were even wondering about that. It was cool, but the Shamu show is like 10 minutes, and everything else is kinda repetitive... Pet the sting rays, Pet the Dolphins etc... I thought there would be more there than that. And the food is terrible (ALL theme park food is terrible I know...) Just a suggestion

If you have boys, my husband really liked the Midway Navy Ship you can tour down by the harbor... takes about 4 hours (CLOSE to downtown) and there are all sorts of Planes and Guns and all that kinda stuff on it, which boys and MEN get a kick out of You literally can run the whole ship and see EVERYTHING.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:07 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubHaze View Post
I didn't care for Seaworld, not that you were even wondering about that. It was cool, but the Shamu show is like 10 minutes, and everything else is kinda repetitive... Pet the sting rays, Pet the Dolphins etc... I thought there would be more there than that. And the food is terrible (ALL theme park food is terrible I know...) Just a suggestion

If you have boys, my husband really liked the Midway Navy Ship you can tour down by the harbor... takes about 4 hours (CLOSE to downtown) and there are all sorts of Planes and Guns and all that kinda stuff on it, which boys and MEN get a kick out of You literally can run the whole ship and see EVERYTHING.
I second the Midway museum.. It's pretty interesting and fun no matter who you are! Also the other maritime museums just to the North of there, the star of India etc.. It's pretty cool to wander around an old Russian submarine

And if it's your first time in San Diego, a harbor tour is totally worth your time- Hornblower cruises offers two, one of the North part of the bay and one of the South. The Southern one is mostly checking out the shipyards and such, and the Northern end is more about the nature and ecology of the bay. They run about $15, and can totally be done in an afternoon with either the Midway or the Maritime Museum boats.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:50 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Lakes View Post
The whole park is made up just like a zoo with the exception of the tram ride which is supposed to look like their natural habitat but I think it's real hard to see them.
For me, the tram ride IS the Wild Animal Park! It's the reason to go! As for the animals being harder to see, sure they're farther away, but I would much rather see them in a habitat that allows them to behave somewhat normally. Just wait until you get to see any of the animals running... It's magnificent! And something you don't normally get to see, unless you're on safari in Africa.

It really is a TOTALLY different experience than a traditional zoo, and if you're at all interested in wild animals and you're coming to San Diego, then in my opinion it's the one thing you really must do!

The San Diego Zoo downtown is beautiful - and the gardens are magnificent - it's definitely a world-class zoo. We're very lucky here!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:05 AM

745 posts, read 1,567,917 times
The Wild Animal Park is wonderful. They breed animals there to return them to the wild. It is all about conservation. You not only have a great day, you are contributing to a good cause. I agree that Legoland and the Wild Animal Park are better to do on separate days. I've never been to LegoLand but my son's family (with a four year old) love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego