Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 14,989 times

Advertisements

Hello,

These areas are tops on my list to move to for the nice weather, however, I don't know anything else about them.

I want a place with low a crime rate (naturally); genuine, friendly people; culture; and great public transportation.

Since I receive a limited income, I need to know how much a 1 bedroom apartment would be in these areas.

Any info I get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

Ilsa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 02:58 PM

61 posts, read 579,258 times
Bonita is absolutely the best choice; there is little question about that. The other areas you mentioned are generally not desirable.

I went to a well-known real estate website and found apartments in Bonita in the $1,000-$1,500/mo. price range.

Bonita Vista High School (which appears to be the school that serves Bonita, check with your apt. management though) has an Academic Performance Index of 796. The state goal is 800, so that's pretty good. (source: http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/achievement/ca/6278)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure about the crime rate there. I'm pretty sure it's safe as it is a nice. But to research this more closely you should research the area to make sure it is safe.

Southern California public transportation is generally bad; but I'm sure you'll manage.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:20 PM

59 posts, read 649,310 times
Spring Valley, La Presa, Bonita, Lemon Grove are not very disiriable areas of San Diego. Sure you'll find lower priced homes in these areas because the crime is high and most of the properties have not been kept up. Spring Valley, La Presa are more inner city type while Lemon Grove is kind of suburban but not very nice. Like smu7070 said, Bonita has some really nice parts but it's an island surrounded by very rough neighborhoods like Paradise Hills and Spring Valley which you have to go through to get to Bonita. I would recommend you look else where like Chula Vista in the Eastlake section or some parts of La Mesa. Schools in this area you were asking about are not really up to State standards.

The Public Transportation is pretty bad. There are a lot of buses but if you can get yourself to a trolly that would be a better choice.

Good Luck...

Old 07-28-2006, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 14,989 times
Thanks smu7070 and Roman11 for your quick posts and important info.

Roman 11, what specific parts of La Mesa do you recommend? Also, for either one of you, which newspaper's classifieds would I need for La Mesa and Chula Vista?

Ilsa

Old 07-28-2006, 11:23 PM

59 posts, read 649,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsa lund
Thanks smu7070 and Roman11 for your quick posts and important info.

Roman 11, what specific parts of La Mesa do you recommend? Also, for either one of you, which newspaper's classifieds would I need for La Mesa and Chula Vista?

Ilsa
I would suggest in La Mesa the Mt. Helix area and the base surrounding Mt. Helix or the Fletcher Hills - Grossmont. I would stay away from El Cajon and Lemon Grove. The trolly also stops in La Mesa.

You can look into the San Diego Union classifieds or one of those "free" Apartment Guides books you find at most grocery stores.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:15 PM

64 posts, read 489,204 times
Most of the law abiding citizens are trying to get a decent concealed weapons permit laws like in most states to bring down the crime rate. With open borders, there is a lot of car jacking and even day light personal robberies. Most of the cities are understaffed by police as the pay is to low for that type of work in high crime areas. The climate is well worth the extra caution and the landscaping is awesome.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:55 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Bonita is not bad at all. Check out Casa De Oro which is south of Mt Helix and North of Spring Valley. There are decent 'hoods in Lemon Grove too, south of B'way and east of College.

La presa is a Dump as is most of Spring Valley proper.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:16 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Bonita is the only one on the list I'd consider.

Alot pricier than the others though.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:50 PM
MAB

103 posts, read 589,373 times
I lived in spring valley for 16 years,and recently moved to arizona.
Mainly because crime has gone way up,housing is very expensive and overall the whole area is full of section 8 apartments,gang members and drugs.
Sure I gave up great sumer weather(our winter weather in AZ is better) but now I live in a low crime,affordable place.
Of those places you mentioned,Bonita is the nicest,but you also mentioned limited income,So I say forget about it.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 17,861 times
SPRING VALLEY LOKOSx3, run SPRING VALLEY and La Presa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego