Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 02:54 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblue View Post
I would rather live in SD when I am young instead of when I am retired.

Old people can't enjoy the outdoors as much as young people.
Not necessarily true. If you don't smoke, don't eat crap, and you get a reasonable amount of exercise, you should be able to enjoy the outdoors when you're older. The problem is, most Americans aren't doing that. So by the time they're in their 50s, they've been overweight or obese for many years and they have the chornic conditions that go alone with it (diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc.). But this is not the way it was meant to be. If we could just get away from the processed foods loaded with sugar, salt, and saturated fat, we would be a lot healthier and happier (and we'd have lower health care costs, too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 02:58 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblue View Post
Before this thread gets out of hand.

I meant that if I had the choice between living in San Diego when I was young or old, I would choose young.
And i think what other posters were saying is that your statement fits the "gotta have it now" mindset that has gotten us into so much trouble.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,651 times
Default How Can People Afford san Diego

I lived there for three years (Oceanside). I made about $70,000 a year doing Biomedical Repair for a local Medical Center. (I Moved to Antelope Valley to save money, 50%). San Diego is a place where 'old money' and foreign money roost.
If you stay in the San Diego area and do a survey of what's available as resources (food, entertainment, insurance, thrifty sores, and gas) you can pretty much get by. The cost of the rent of an appt. is the catch. Many of the apartments are socially segregated by nationalities (Latino and Whites mainly) The further from the beach you go the cheaper the rates. Poway and Romona, and some of Oceanside are affordable, and relatively nice to stay, but the drive is sooo long if you commute. The trafic is blah! I-5 and the connecting interstates between Oceanside and PCH are tough. Other than that, parking is also a big problem, especialy on the weekends. Pier's and beaches are swomped by 10 am. So go early to get a spot. Oceandise and San Diego love to give parking tickets, so watch the meters, and to save money,park on down the road where there are no meters. The walk is worth it. also get a car alarm if you want to live inSan Diego. some of the loco's like to smash car windows to get a fist full of peco's.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:44 PM

Default Good Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by talulah22 View Post
Have you looked at San Luis Obispo County? It's quite a bit farther north than SD and quite a bit smaller, but there are some towns that might fit your desire to live someplace warm and mid-sized (sort of). San Luis Obispo itself has the college right there which brings some economic activity into the city (though it is, by no means, a thriving metropolis) Atascadero isn't too far east from there and the home prices are cheaper than SLO, not as close to the ocean (although SLO isn't on the water either) but perhaps more affordable. Inland there's also Paso Robles, getting into some wine country there, but still relatively affordable. I believe (although I've found varying figures) that average homes proves in Paso Robles and Atascadero run around $300,000 and San Luis Obispo itself around $450,000. So, I mean less than most of SD county (save maybe Ramona or Oceanside) but still kind of up there. The county on the whole is much more rural than SD but it's CA, not Montana, so coastal ruralness is a relative term.

When will you be finished with school? And what, may I ask, is your degree in? Will it be something that will feed into a job relatively 'easily'? I mean the economy isn't great but some degrees are 'easier' to find jobs with than others. Will your wife be on maternity leave after she has the baby? Have you got any savings for the move? CA is a very expensive state and the places with nice weather are even more expensive, but if you plan appropriately and get your ducks in a row the best you can, it is possible. Difficult but possible.
The area you mentioned is a good place. PCH will get you some great views and simple travel.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:47 PM

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I am not old but how do you know they don't enjoy the outdoors? I don't know what you call "young", but I want to tell you, youth is when you build a resume and keep you arse out of debt. For 90% of the under 30 people this is not happening SD. Then, when you have a good education and resume and hopefully some retirement and savings you can become more mobile. I would think this would typically be in the mid 30's to 50 ish. If you are younger than that and have a SD marketable education ie hard sciences, biomedical, then go for it. The rest of people with dime a dozen degrees or professions-BA in business, marketing, communications, education, waitress (or 50 other degrees or professions)...pull it together and then move. You are saying you want to live here when you are young...but how sad the day will be when the paycheck to paycheck existence does not work anymore and you sadly drag yourself elsewhere. Its hard to think about these things when you are under 35 but as you age you incur more obligations (children, aging parents, ...I have a sibling that recently had a brain injury that I am currently supporting, you never know...so you want to be prepared).

We came out on vacation before we lived here and of course I thought it was nice, but it was out of the question to consider living here without it making financial sense.

Ps. Early R- I would be out there with the wall street protesters if I were not too busy trying to keep my precious and rare SD job! While I totally agree with you that many people have not been wise with their finances, the greater fools have been on wallstreet.
It isn't as easy today as it was 20 or more years ago to squeeze that dime! I really think getting a good roommate if you really know the person, can save you some money.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:15 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
Haha, damn this thread is from 2010 and 2011...back when you could get a detached home in Encinitas for 500k.

Anyways, my wife and I have had a good couple of years financially and have been able to save a substantial amount the past 2 years. Bought 3 years ago when prices were a bit lower than they are now and the payment feels much more manageable now....Also, no kids helps tremendously

Old 02-06-2017, 09:43 PM

787 posts, read 643,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwEshelman View Post
Hey all,
Looking for a little bit of advice. First, I have never been to California but after living my whole life in Ohio I am considering moving my family to San Diego. I have a wife who is finishing up her nursing degree in a year, so that would be a good time to move. Looking over the facts of city-data, I can't help but notice the mean income compared to the mean average house price. Doing a little research, it seems like as a nurse my wife won't make that much more there than she does in Ohio. So, how do you all manage? I am currently in school myself after serving in the Army and still have two more years until I graduate. My schooling is not an issue, because my degree is offered online. We have a two year old daughter and one on the way. Do more families rent? How do residents get by with the difference in income and cost of living? I don't want anything fancy, but would love to own my own house in about 5years. Will we be able to live comfortably with only one salary of $60,000? Any info is appreciated
Great question, I make six figures in the bay area and wonder how the heck i'm getting by.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:39 AM

23 posts, read 25,993 times
Just go spend a week in Manhattan and California will seen really inexpensive to call home.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:34 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrnthomas View Post
Just go spend a week in Manhattan and California will seen really inexpensive to call home.

Or try Hawaii. . . . .

Old 02-22-2017, 07:56 PM

23 posts, read 30,861 times
It's about the quality of life and learning the city. On that salary with that many kids, there's affordable housing. Wait lists are long. However, if you budget and learn about cheap activities since your wages would go towards living expenses and bills. For entertainment, you have to research. For example, San Diego residents can get deals at Sea World where you pay once for your ticket, and it's an annual pass for the year. Balboa Park is free; the museums offer a free Tuesday, hiking is free, the beaches are free. The San Diego zoo's annual pass is very affordable. Will you struggle of course with that salary but as the post mentioned above its hard to live here BUDGE BUDGET BUDGET and select according activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego