Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,357 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the status of SD city hiring police or firefighters????

I am yet another east coaster (FL) wanting to relocate to SD. I currently have a fire department job. With the economical problems today, does anyone have any insight on if the city will be hiring firefighters in 2010?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 07:04 PM

88 posts, read 206,478 times
The state of CA is not doing well at all. I think most cities have budget freezes and are even laying off people (police and firefighters). I know that here, the police force sold off their horses (mounted patrols), in order to raise money.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:39 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,824 times
Keep in mind there are plenty of municipal governments in the county that are plenty close to central San Diego/within reasonable commuting distance-I'm not sure about City of San Diego specifically, but you should check with other cites in the county.. I work for Escondido and although there's a general hiring freeze and we've been laying people off (and most of us are furloughed 2 days a month. Yay.) public safety will still be hiring to replace positions as people retire, etc.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,357 times
I appreciate the tips. I know eventually the departments have to hire, as others retire. I have read and talked to some people about the different departments in the area. I come from an aggressive department. We do mainly interior attacks, work hard and play hard on duty. The dept is around 1100 uniformed personnel. I am interested in going to another dept that somewhat mirrors this mentality. I keep hearing that San Diego city is one of the lower paid fire departments. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which fire depts have the better retirements, rank structure, attitudes.... Who would you want to work for?

Thank you!

Old 03-21-2010, 03:32 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
The fire department is having "brownouts" to save money. Your best bet is to keep checking the City of San Diego's website employment section to see if/when they will start hiring again. But if I recall correctly, the last time the fire department was hiring, they had over 500 applicants, and not that many jobs.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:13 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,072,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-ville FF View Post
I appreciate the tips. I know eventually the departments have to hire, as others retire. I have read and talked to some people about the different departments in the area. I come from an aggressive department. We do mainly interior attacks, work hard and play hard on duty. The dept is around 1100 uniformed personnel. I am interested in going to another dept that somewhat mirrors this mentality. I keep hearing that San Diego city is one of the lower paid fire departments. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which fire depts have the better retirements, rank structure, attitudes.... Who would you want to work for?

Thank you!
Try Encinitas.
And a few of the outlying cities/towns include:
Poway
La Mesa
El Cajon
Chula Vista
Solana Beach
Temecula
Escondido
San Marcos
Carlsbad
Oceanside
Bonita
Lakeside

I don't know anything about the 'type' you asked about...but just to give you a few cities to jumpstart your online search....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego