Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 06:59 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,854,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeke View Post
I loved Casa de Bandini when it was part of Old Town. I still miss Tres Hermanas in Sacramento. Mole sauce to die for.
Make the drive up to Carlsbad (south Carlsbad at that!). It's worth it. Bandini is top notch, even if it is a bit industrialized and mass produced compared to smaller joints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 08:45 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Make the drive up to Carlsbad (south Carlsbad at that!). It's worth it. Bandini is top notch, even if it is a bit industrialized and mass produced compared to smaller joints.
The OP's question was specifically about Old Town not Carlsbad or Las Olas.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:31 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,854,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
The OP's question was specifically about Old Town not Carlsbad or Las Olas.
I'm sure you noticed, but I wasn't replying to the OP. I was replying to Skeke who said how much he (she?)liked Casa de Bandini. I thought I'd be, you know, helpful and constructive instead of a prickly know-it-all jerk. Nice try, though.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:44 AM

94 posts, read 346,186 times
I can't believe no one mentioned Casa de Reyes, sure it screams "I'm a tourist!," but it has a great atmosphere. Mostly outdoor seating, pretty darn good food and not too espensive. If you are lucky, you'll catch some dancers on the stage or a Mariachi band playing to the crowd. Margaritas are delish and it's just a good time all around.

Try it!

Old 05-09-2010, 01:18 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
I'm sure you noticed, but I wasn't replying to the OP. I was replying to Skeke who said how much he (she?)liked Casa de Bandini. I thought I'd be, you know, helpful and constructive instead of a prickly know-it-all jerk. Nice try, though.
You win this time except for your resorting to name calling.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times
Old Town Mexican Cafe is pretty good: Old Town Mexican Cafe | Home

I used to work in old town and we ate there alot. Good service and much better than average food.

Casa De Bandini was ok, but very commercial. The environment and huge Margaritas were what rocked at this place when it was around.

There is of course better Mexican food in SD, but Old Town Mexican is a respectable place.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:15 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
I realize there are better Mexican places, as I mentioned in my OP. I specifically asked for Old Town, because that's where we wanted to go on Cinco de Mayo and it's not an area we usually go to unless we have visitors. It has come and gone and we took cruitr and Gentoo's advice and went to Rockin Baja, which was pretty good actually. No need to argue over which Mexican place is best in SD, I'm sure we all have our opinions! I just wanted a rec for Old Town.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 PM

181 posts, read 466,166 times
SKIP Old Town Mex Cafe... we have given it a couple chances and always end up on the toilet right after. I had horrible service the first time we were there, second time was better but it's just not worth the hype. Like everyone else pretty much said, Old Town is a tourist spot (Like seaport village) and the food just isn't great... good for a drink tho! Rancho's in North park is pretty decent, and El Zarape in university Heights is usually always busy!!!... I'm still looking for a GREAT mexican place that is a little more sit down... we really like the cheap eats though like Taco Surf and even Marisco's Taco Truck off of El Cajon. try Taco surf for there Tues/Thurs 1.50 tacos

Old 05-12-2010, 09:48 AM

284 posts, read 1,016,841 times
In Old Town my husband and I really enjoy Casa Guadalajara. We liked the atmosphere and the food was tasty too! We also like Lucha Libre's, a hip little taco shop with some very interesting decor, but that's technically in Mission Hills.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 AM

80 posts, read 296,156 times
I've always enjoyed El Agave. The mole sauce is pretty good there. Also, nothing wrong with eating where the walls are practically made of tequila (over 2,000 different varieties there I believe).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego