Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM

128 posts, read 141,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
I personally hate LA.
Wow. Really? What a surprise. Who'd have guessed.

I never used to hate the SF/East Bay Area, in fact I also really enjoyed visiting before I lived there. But visiting there and living there are two entirely different things. Having lived there, I now hate it and hate the attitudes of the locals there even more so.

Most Southern Californians harbor no ill-will to the cities in the Northern/Central half of the state, but for some reason the SFers and East Bayers can't seem to stop themselves from spewing the constant hatred of the southern portion at every conceivable opportunity.

So now I will not stop spewing the hatred or the truth either. Deal with it. Just like you deal with all the other constantly annoying aspects of your life in the Yay Area.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM

675 posts, read 1,191,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayDefector View Post
Wow. Really? What a surprise. Who'd have guessed.

I never used to hate the SF/East Bay Area, in fact I also really enjoyed visiting before I lived there. But visiting there and living there are two entirely different things. Having lived there, I now hate it and hate the attitudes of the locals there even more so.

Most Southern Californians harbor no ill-will to the cities in the Northern/Central half of the state, but for some reason the SFers and East Bayers can't seem to stop themselves from spewing the constant hatred of the southern portion at every conceivable opportunity.

So now I will not stop spewing the hatred or the truth either. Deal with it. Just like you deal with all the other constantly annoying aspects of your life in the Yay Area.
I don't live in the Bay Area anymore (lived there from 1999-2006), but I will move back one day. I never had any annoying aspects living there, in fact, I visit as much as possible. Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much. That's life. These things happen.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,326,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyy View Post
Do you really think most 30something who live in NYC have roomates?

IMHO, NY'ers are living the life. How could you not possibly be living the life living in theoretically what is the center of the world. If it doesn't happen in NY, it doesn't happen anywhere. San Franciscans seems so reclusive and boring compared to New Yorkers. While New Yorkers are enjoying the non stop glamour (nightlife, social life, etc.. Meatpacking District is amazing btw) the comparable San Franciscan is sitting at a Starbucks by him/herself and clicking away at their iPhones or laptops. Ugh.

You and your sweeping assumptions (endless brick buildings? I don't even remember seeing any at all) buildings and negativity ("pretentious New Yorkers") makes you come off as jealous.

And speaking of bums...... lol. I see more bums on a single block in SF than I ever seen in NYC during whole week long visits.
yea what do i know.. i dont know grown ass people working at merryl lynch having to live in a 3 bedroom set up with 2 other people/couples in crown heights, that share a living room kitchen and bathroom... that never happened.. i've never been there when they're so excited to be in prospect park, their idea of "nature" and wide open space lol
and yes the "glamor" of being out at 5am, because everybody on earth is dying to be out that late and have to be at work by 7.. working like a slave to afford a dump of an apartment, no privacy, and relying on public transit like it's 1850
the subway in the summer is such a "glamorous' scene, the stench of week old human waste, the nasal exhaust of thousands of people and the decrepit setting of the stations themselves. wow glamor. so much more "glamorous" and high class than me getting in my air conditioned car and driving where ever i want without having to hold filthy guard rails or sit next to some crack head beggar and rely on someone else to get to places.
ur right im super jealous. the natural scenery is what im most jealous of. and the crisp, clean air, that makes my nose bleed every time i visit, because its so pure. this weekend when I was enjoying the sun at the beach, i could have done some glamorous shopping then gone out til 5am to "get wasted" and twittered back n forth with my glamor pals about how cool we are to be out so late, that would make me feel better about paying 2k a month to live with room mates like im a freshman in college lol

Old 11-02-2010, 07:46 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times
The first time I visited NY I hated every second of it. The second time, a few years later, I loved it. The difference was the first time I went on my dime, the second time was a all expenses paid week filled with every upscale event imaginable planned for, courtesy of a reward program at work.

The difference is money, everywhere. NY is pretty much like every other big expensive city for the working folks. By the time you finish work and pay living expenses there isn't much time or money left to "live the life".

Old 11-02-2010, 08:00 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,169,955 times
new york makes sf look like a provincial small town.

Quote:
The difference is money, everywhere. NY is pretty much like every other big expensive city for the working folks. By the time you finish work and pay living expenses there isn't much time or money left to "live the life".
At least in ny you can live in the burbs or brooklyn, bronx, queens, or staten, and middle and working class folk can survive. And not live in a ghetto city or exurb to boot. Try to do that in the bay area.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
At least in ny you can live in the burbs or brooklyn, bronx, queens, or staten, and middle and working class folk can survive. And not live in a ghetto city or exurb to boot. Try to do that in the bay area.
NY has a much wider range of home prices than the bay area. It is actually possibly for a family to find something in the 200s within an hour commute of the city. In the Bay Area, not so much. NY has 3 states of suburbs: NJ, CT and PA. We don't have that luxury here.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:46 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,169,955 times
Its the price of liberal distopia. New York is much more level headed and not a loof to society. Every where that is militant liberal, seems to have insane home prices. Driving minorities and working class and even middle class folks out.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:22 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,908,502 times
Warning:

http://bestsmileys.com/storms/8.gif (broken link)

It's not the Romper Room folks. Stop the bickering, poking and prodding. Stay on topic, only the topic, add to the topic,and move on. This is NOT a chat room.

If you actually need to remember what the topic is, go back and read the first post in this thread - amazing, 'aint it? Thank you.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 11-02-2010 at 09:43 PM..

Old 11-04-2010, 06:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,562,463 times
I'm originally from the suburbs of NYC and visited San Francisco twice in the early 2000s.

Mostly, I liked much better than NYC. It was dense and walkable like NYC but nowhere as dense and gave a generally friendlier feel. I think it was because most of the buildings were low-rises so it didn't give an overwhelming urban-ness. I like the setting and walking up and down the hills. It almost felt like the city was an island with water on three sides and parkland to much of the south.

The museums didn't seem like they were as good as NYC and there wasn't as much going on but I thought the architecture was great and liked that there was open space right nearby the city. The downtown felt small and had lots of homeless people. Anyhow, for size, I thought San Francisco compared well with New York.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:18 PM

291 posts, read 958,799 times
I've spent a lot of time in both cities and prefer SF. Manhattan is great but the I hated the surrounding areas. They are dirty, unkempt, full of homeless people and graffiti. Here I get to enjoy SF and all of the surrounding cities. I would NEVER set foot in Upstate NY ever again, if I can help it.

I guess the only logical comparison would be between Manhattan and the city of SF IMO. And I still prefer SF...the cost of living in Manhattan is super high and I remember a friend going into a bidding war for a 550 sq ft apartment for $900k. Another friend owns a nice two bedroom apartment with views of the Hudson River in the Upper West side and the apartment is worth $3M. That place can't be larger than 950 sq ft. But the price of real estate in NY is not the only problem. The property taxes in NYS are much higher too. So it is a double whammy.

The weather is another big one. You can't say you prefer Manhattan unless you have WALKED the streets during the winter time...the snow, the wind, the crowds, the lack of sun, the smell of dirty winter coats in the subway...UGH! It is just awful.

Also, I much prefer the BART over NYC subway system too. Just a matter of personal preference.

And the liquor laws in NY state drive me nuts. You have to go to the wine store to get wine and the beer & liquor store to get beer. The only thing available at the grocery store is beer but very expensive so you are better off going to be beer and liquor store. It is a giant PITA!

And the Northern California coast is just gorgeous so, yes, SF is my preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland