Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 02:35 PM

91 posts, read 140,392 times

Advertisements

A bit on the defensive I see.

You appeared to immediately put more effort into finding reasons the waiter acted the way he did, rather than to accept the poster's perception is a valid one, then go with that. Don't feel obligated to explain yourself to me. After all you know more about race relation and racism than I do, remember?

So you're liberal-minded. How do you view affirmative action?

Yeah, that statement was "way out there" I have to agree, and certainly unfair. I apologize for that because I didn't know that. Again, no need to get defensive or give me your life story.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-21-2007 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Tried to fix my mistake... will make it "perfect" when another moderator helps!

Old 07-21-2007, 02:59 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Oh my goodness... first day as a moderator, and I just made a BIG boo-boo!!! I accidentally hit "edit" instead of "quote", and messed up your entire post with my response!!! I truly apologize, and will fix that asap... hopefully it's a reversible mistake.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:00 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
And this is what my response was, before I invaded your post with it...

Quote:
A bit on the defensive I see.
Yes, I am on the defensive... hard not to be when the entire thread is basically "let's attack gizmo for asking an honest question!" But I'm over it, so I won't bother defending myself anymore - it wouldn't matter anyway.

Quote:
You appeared to immediately put more effort into finding reasons the waiter acted the way he did, rather than to accept the poster's perception is a valid one, then go with that. Don't feel obligated to explain yourself to me. After all you know more about race relation and racism than I do, remember?
Nah, I don't actually believe that I know MORE than you... I may have said that in the midst of this debate, but I didn't mean you specifically - or anyone really. The other posters were questioning my experiences & implying I was ignorant to race issues, which is the only reason I threw that in. Poor choice of wording, I admit, so please don't think I actually feel that way.

Quote:
So you're liberal-minded. How do you view affirmative action?
I'm actually on the fence about that issue... I agree with the concept & motivations behind it, but feel it's unfair in some situations. I also don't really agree with "quotas", unless absolutely necessary (like if a school or business is purposefully NOT hiring people of color). It's a tricky topic, so I'm sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer on that.

Quote:
Yeah, that statement was "way out there" I have to agree, and certainly unfair. I apologize for that because I didn't know that. Again, no need to get defensive or give me your life story.
Thanks for apologizing, and I apologize if I made any assumptions about you... but if you think that's giving my "life story" in 3-4 sentences, just wait until I really start babbling! Anyway, this debate has already gone beyond ridiculous, so I'll try not to add anything else (aside from answering direct questions, as I'm doing now).

As you may or may not have noticed, I was just appointed as moderator for this board & religion - so I really shouldn't be getting into volatile arguments like this. Apparently somebody thinks I'm fair-minded and have something positive to contribute, or they wouldn't have asked me to moderate... so at least I know not to take this too seriously, since I've been a well-liked member for nearly a year now. I really do love these forums, and they kept me busy during a rough time earlier this year (hence the 3000+ posts, LOL), so I don't want this to ruin things for me. Have a nice weekend!

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-21-2007 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland