Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 PM

457 posts, read 756,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
But it is not traditionally progressive. It may actually be REgressive.

Classic Progressivism is not concerned with these sorts of post modern issues which have little to do with the quality of life of working people.

Some of it is border line Luddite (with a dose of Druidism) - hardly the calling card of real Progressivism.
I consider tolerance for alternative lifestyle, multiple culture, belief systems, gender equality as core progressive values. And this does impact quality of life significantly by enabling upward mobility by removing stigma, removing glass ceilings for traditionally underrepresented/marginalized populace (e.g., women). How is this regressive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 07:00 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
I consider tolerance for alternative lifestyle, multiple culture, belief systems, gender equality as core progressive values. And this does impact quality of life significantly by enabling upward mobility by removing stigma, removing glass ceilings for traditionally underrepresented/marginalized populace (e.g., women). How is this regressive?
You raised a fair point, however, those were not the things I alluded to.

Tell me, how does banning plastic bags or Happy Meals help out with gender equality (or any sort of equality)?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:09 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
I consider tolerance for alternative lifestyle, multiple culture, belief systems, gender equality as core progressive values.
All of the above are mandated by the constitution! Nothing special about bay area!

Old 06-09-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
All of the above are mandated by the constitution! Nothing special about bay area!
Again, as usual, bumper sticker posts.

1. Constitution does not mandate this automatically. These rights are hard fought and earned over a period of time through grass roots movements.

2. Anyone who can think beyond bumper sticker-sized posts realizes that something mandated by regulations (usually for businesses) and adopted by society are two different things. How many cities would vote openly gay/atheist members into their supervisor boards or as mayors? There is indeed something special about the bay area.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
You raised a fair point, however, those were not the things I alluded to.

Tell me, how does banning plastic bags or Happy Meals help out with gender equality (or any sort of equality)?
Agreed. Banning plastic bags and Happy Meals is a top down solution for issues that need to be solved bottom up. Same with the circumcision proposal. As a believer in personal liberty, I think there is shaky moral ground in calling for govt. intervention in very personal decisions while at the same time asking govt. out of bedrooms.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:32 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
I'm sure I'll find out just how liberal San Francisco and the Bay Area is the weeks to come.

I've just accepted a job offer and will be moving out there from Kentucky. The more I get to know the area, I'll better understand the political dynamic(s).

What I know is this: Rep. Pelosi, Sen. Boxer, Sen. Feinstein, Gov. Brown, and Lt. Gov. Newsom are all from the Bay Area, and I don't think anybody will ever accuse them of embodying conservative values (although I think Newsom was relatively fiscally conservative as Mayor of SF). Traditionally, in metropolitan areas, the suburban areas tend to be more "balanced" or socially conservative than their urban counterparts, so I imagine that the Bay Area overall is left but is not "teetering on the edge" left.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:30 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I'm sure I'll find out just how liberal San Francisco and the Bay Area is the weeks to come.

I've just accepted a job offer and will be moving out there from Kentucky. The more I get to know the area, I'll better understand the political dynamic(s).

What I know is this: Rep. Pelosi, Sen. Boxer, Sen. Feinstein, Gov. Brown, and Lt. Gov. Newsom are all from the Bay Area, and I don't think anybody will ever accuse them of embodying conservative values (although I think Newsom was relatively fiscally conservative as Mayor of SF). Traditionally, in metropolitan areas, the suburban areas tend to be more "balanced" or socially conservative than their urban counterparts, so I imagine that the Bay Area overall is left but is not "teetering on the edge" left.
Bay Area suburban areas are more liberal than most other suburban areas still however. The most conservative area around the bay is the 680 corridor, an area stretching from the Livermore-Pleasanton areas up through Concord. The most balanced area is probably the Silicon Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland