Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,121 times

Advertisements

This better damn well happen. San Francisco is in dire need of a good movie theater.

San Francisco

Quote:
San Francisco’s Historic New Mission Theater Might Become An Alamo Drafthouse
Posted on Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 by Germain Lussier

Los Angeles might be the movie capital of the world, but another city in the same state could be the first in California to open an Alamo Drafthouse. SFist.com is reporting there’s a proposal on the table to turn San Francisco’s historic New Mission Theater into a five-screen Drafthouse. However, because the theater – which has been closed since 1993 – is a historical landmark, a Historic Preservation Committee must first approve a proposal the property’s owner and Alamo executives have devised. That will go down on Wednesday. Read more after the jump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 03:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
It's been a parking lot for as long as I've lived here, IIRC. It has a cool look and is supposed to have a really nice but damaged interior (unless it's been totally stripped out). Could be a cool place to go but it's a pretty dumpy location.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 PM

370 posts, read 863,173 times
i lived in Austin for a few years and liked the Alamo Drafthouse. On the weekends they would should College Football games, which was always alot of fun.

I am not sure how their business model works out here given the price of real estate and rents but hope it works out for them..

Old 02-16-2012, 03:38 AM

i'm surprised not many people have commented. san francisco could do with a cool theater like alamo drafthouse. i know where this theater is and if alamo moved in they'd totally refurnish it and preserve it just like they're doing with ritz theater in austin. this is a very good thing for san francisco especially for the mission. and it's funny because i was talking about this with a friend of mine a few months back about how cool it would be if alamo opened up a theater here in san francisco. we even thought the mission would be the perfect neighborhood for it. now lo and behold. i hope it pulls through. it will easily be everyone's favorite theater next to probably castro or roxy, whichever you'd prefer. plus they serve good food, good beer, good wine selection. their guiness shake is awesome. san francisco could very well do with a place like this! it would also very easily take away a good number of customers from the amc theaters.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 AM

It's happening everybody. Get ready to get stoked. This is going to be everyone's favorite theater once it gets built. Count on it!!!

Alamo Drafthouse Details Plans to Restore San Francisco’s New Mission Theater; Founder Tim League Explains the Company’s Origins | /Film

Old 02-17-2012, 01:58 AM

Here is the facebook fanpage...
https://www.facebook.com/AlamoMission (broken link)

and the blog on the theater website...
http://drafthouse.com/blog/entry/an_..._san_francisco

Last edited by migol84; 02-17-2012 at 02:27 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 10:49 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
This better damn well happen. San Francisco is in dire need of a good movie theater.

San Francisco
San Francisco actually used to have tons of great movie theaters. Many have closed down because people decided they wanted to spend their $ on 14plexes, drink holders and comfy chairs.

Unfortunately the chains seem to becoming the norm and although the place looks pretty cool and I like the fact that the theater will retain it's original charm, it's still sad that it had to be purchased by a chain from Texas. I worry that these kinds of places attract a lot of folks that don't know, care or understand the difference between independently owned and a chain designed to look independent.

So my feelings are mixed--the same way they were mixed about Starbucks when there were so many other great locally owned cafes for a cup of coffee. I suppose I'd rather it become something rather than just sitting there vacant, though.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
San Francisco actually used to have tons of great movie theaters. Many have closed down because people decided they wanted to spend their $ on 14plexes, drink holders and comfy chairs.

Unfortunately the chains seem to becoming the norm and although the place looks pretty cool and I like the fact that the theater will retain it's original charm, it's still sad that it had to be purchased by a chain from Texas. I worry that these kinds of places attract a lot of folks that don't know, care or understand the difference between independently owned and a chain designed to look independent.

So my feelings are mixed--the same way they were mixed about Starbucks when there were so many other great locally owned cafes for a cup of coffee. I suppose I'd rather it become something rather than just sitting there vacant, though.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. One thing to take notice though is that Tim League, the owner, is from the Bay Area. This is basically his home and opening up a theater here in San Francisco has been a big dream of his. This location is going to be the only theater outside of Austin that is specifically owned and operated by he and his wife. That being said, this is going to most likely be a special place and he's very likely going to see to it personally as he does with the local theaters in Austin that it maintains a local feel. I actually have a strong feeling that this theater is probably going to be way better than the one's in Austin.... and that says a whole lot that should make San Francisco excited and Austin a bit jealous.

Yes, it is a chain... but keep in mind that the reason why this theater is so popular is because it functions more as a neighborhood theater and not like those 14megaplexes that you talk about and everyone hates. That means that this theater will be run by local San Francisco programmers and it will maintain a unique San Francisco blend. It will most likely work with the local community and certainly will cooperate with film festivals and events that take place here in San Francisco. It's also going to cater specifically to film buffs and creative types and will contribute back to the community in so many ways.

Essentially, there is nothing cookie-cutter about this place that is going to borrow from Austin except that it's going to take the same elements and blend them here. You're going to love it being here and I can assure you that based on all the theaters I've been to this is going to be one of the best in the City.

Heck, even Los Angeles is jealous of us now. There is nothing "corporate-like" about this company's function. The only corporate thing there is about it is that the movie-goer should have a great movie experience. This is a big deal to them. That means, no talking, no texting and certainly ZERO ADS! I've been to the one's in Austin so many times and they are by far the best theaters I've ever been to. And it's THE #1 REASON why I miss Austin. They are quite a fun place to go to. Their food is good and they have a great selection of beers and wines on par to just about any bar. So while I understand you're mixed-feelings, I will not be surprised that you're going to welcome it as a benign theater that will only want nothing but to compliment this great neighborhood. Count on it!

edit:
especially when you have many computer nerds, film nerds and artists and such already volunteering and interning to work for the place, you know it's a huge deal. i'm just surprised that no one is talking about it on the forums.

Last edited by migol84; 02-17-2012 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 03:26 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
I'm getting the sense that this is a cleverly designed advertisement more than anything else which may be why nobody else is talking about it.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I'm getting the sense that this is a cleverly designed advertisement more than anything else which may be why nobody else is talking about it.
No actually people are talking about it...just not on here on the forums. But if you click on the links everyone there seems to be excited and all my friends on facebook who know about it are excited too. Why wouldn't anybody be excited about it... I don't think you realize the goodness this theater is going to bring. San Francisco needs a real theater. This is it! Plus... judging from what all Tim League has done he has never disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland