Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,686 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate advice!

I'm looking for a studio for ~$2000 or perhaps a 2br with a roommate for ~$4000. I'm working near Montgomery BART and would like to commute by bike. I'm looking for an area with Asian food nearby and with supermarkets etc. Not a clubbing person.

What neighborhoods are good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 PM

388 posts, read 1,016,911 times
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

This will help a lot. Change the map to asian population or largest ethnic group. There are plenty of asian neighborhoods biking distance to Montgomery street.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,857 times
Maybe the Richmond? Quiet. Lots of Asian people, restaurants and marketplaces.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:21 PM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
That's a long hilly bike ride from Richmond to Montgomery BART. It'd be fine for leisure but not to commute daily. Richmond does have A LOT of Asians and Asian stores though. Almost all of San Francisco has lots of Asian people, restaurants etc besides Marina District. I have a lot of Asian friends that live in SOMA (near At&T Park) and love it. It's very close to Montgomery BART too.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:25 PM

388 posts, read 1,016,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Maybe the Richmond? Quiet. Lots of Asian people, restaurants and marketplaces.
too far.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fionatay View Post
I really appreciate advice!

I'm looking for a studio for ~$2000 or perhaps a 2br with a roommate for ~$4000. I'm working near Montgomery BART and would like to commute by bike. I'm looking for an area with Asian food nearby and with supermarkets etc. Not a clubbing person.

What neighborhoods are good?
If you are looking for authentic Asian food,a good majority of it is found in the western parts of the city which are a difficult commute by bike.

For areas commutable by bike,Lower Pacific Heights is close to Japantown, Nob Hill is close to Chinatown. Japantown also has a Safeway supermarket, three Japanese groceries and one Korean grocery. Biking down Post and Sutter might be the least bad bike commute. It definitely better than trying to bike through Chinatown from North Beach. For Asian food + bikeable + supermarkets,Lower Pacific Heights is a great choice.

Soma is a sometimes a good choice for young professionals working downtown but the Asian food found around there is the Americanized variety.
I personally can't stand this area due to the sterile feel and the intense traffic heading for the freeways.

For Chinese food,besides Chinatown, there is a lot of it in the previously mentioned Richmond district and also in the Sunset district. Clement street between 3rd and 12th has tons of Asian restaurants of all varieties. This area is sometimes called the New Chinatown. Some of the best authentic Chinese restaurants are also found on Geary and on the outer section of Balboa Ave. These areas would be a long bike ride. It would be a super crowded bus commute on either the 1 or the 38 buses. Not recommended if you have the option to live closer.

The Sunset district also has plenty of authentic Chinese food with Chinese business districts on Irving,Noriega and Taraval. Inner Sunset is an ideal location close to Golden Gate Park. From there the commute would be by the N train with backup bus lines if the train is delayed. This location is also close to Richmond (via the shortcut through Golden Gate Park).

Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 AM

2 posts, read 6,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
If you are looking for authentic Asian food,a good majority of it is found in the western parts of the city which are a difficult commute by bike.

For areas commutable by bike,Lower Pacific Heights is close to Japantown, Nob Hill is close to Chinatown. Japantown also has a Safeway supermarket, three Japanese groceries and one Korean grocery. Biking down Post and Sutter might be the least bad bike commute. It definitely better than trying to bike through Chinatown from North Beach. For Asian food + bikeable + supermarkets,Lower Pacific Heights is a great choice.
Thank you! I just realized my work is much nearer Powell than Montgomery, so Lower Pac Heights/Japantown seems nearer than Nob Hill/Chinatown.

By the way, does anyone know if $2000 for a studio in the above areas is reasonable?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 AM

218 posts, read 483,541 times
Whatever you do, don't live in SOMA. This area is boring as hell and shuts down early.

If you're hungry after 10pm on a Weekend night, forget about finding food. There are barely any restaurants here and most of them close for the weekend. Plus any restaurant you call for delivery has like a $25-$30 minimum.

Forget Asians, I barely see any people around here, its depressing.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:55 PM

77 posts, read 316,892 times
Civic Center? I live on Van Ness and have a great place. 2600 for a one bedroom.
There's a place nearby called the Argenta. I don't know if they have studios or what it costs, but check it out.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:07 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Ugh, $2000 for a studio? People be gettin' paid too much. Sad thing is studios at that price exist in SF. You could go as low as $1500 for something basic but decent probably. It wasn't all that long ago a 1 bedroom was $1200 a month....RIP San Fran, you had a good run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland