Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,061 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a good place for a single male (30, college degree, pilot) to live near Travis AFB? I've heard only negative info on Vacaville and several other surrounding areas in that they're mainly suburbs for families. I want a minimal commute, especially from what I've heard about traffic in the region but I also want to be somewhere that has a significant amount of business industry that would attract professional women for their own careers. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 12:51 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
Davis!

Old 01-20-2014, 03:53 PM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
Personally, I would live closer to the SF Bay Area (Walnut Creek, Martinez or Benicia) and commute it. Walnut Creek has a nice downtown and business in the area. Davis has the UC Campus.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:38 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
I dunno about Davis. I used to live there. The professional single women there are more granola types, working for UC Davis. There's not much else going on in Davis other than the University. And it's very family oriented. No nightlife to speak of except for student hangouts.

I think you should look at moving to the Benicia/Martinez area and commute. During your off time, you can check out that area, as well as other SF Bay towns. Some good friends of mine live in Fairfield and they commute to Martinez, where they both work. So, the commute is doable. In fact, your commute would probably be a reverse commute, and not too bad.

Bars Martinez, CA

Bars Martinez, CA

(one of the above is Benicia, but it lists as Martinez for some reason)

I did a search on meetups for Martinez within 2 miles and got nothing. So, I'm thinking Benicia might be a better bet. I don't know a lot about either town.

Meetup: find your people - Meetup

You could also go to Walnut Creek, easily, from Benicia, and it's very white collar, professional with a pretty vibrant downtown.

Bars Martinez, CA

Meetup: find your people - Meetup

Depending on when you would be commuting, the additional miles between Walnut Creek and Benicia/Martinez can be a bear in traffic. That's why I'm thinking that just moving to Walnut Creek would make for a horrible commute. Would depend on when you'd be driving, and your stamina for traffic :-)

Old 01-21-2014, 12:00 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
How long are you willing to commute?

Walnut Creek is really the only good option in the area imo. Benicia and Martinez are way too small, quiet, and family oriented for what you are looking for imo. You won't have to deal with traffic unless you are on the very south end of Walnut Creek and even then we're talking about 5-10 min in freeway traffic in the PM at worst. It would take you about 30-45 minutes to get to Travis AFB from Walnut Creek. It takes me a little less than 30 minutes door to door to get from Pleasant Hill to Fairfield during commute hours but TAFB is farther off the freeway than where I work.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:20 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,274 times
Echoing the Walnut Creek idea. Nice area, nice downtown, and it has a BART for getting to Oakland and SF. That said - it is a bit of a commute. I'd evaluate carefully your priorities. While I certainly get wanting to live somewhere "happening," there is a lot to be said for a short (sub 30min) commute. You can always drive to go out, when there's not so much traffic.

Another possibility is Napa - it certainly has a great downtown and such, but I'm not sure what actually living there is like. It's about the same distance as Walnut Creek though.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 AM

Location: From Oakland, CA. Was in SLZ, CA. Now Lynnwood, WA.
81 posts, read 137,773 times
Default Pcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHalex234 View Post
I'm looking for a good place for a single male (30, college degree, pilot) to live near Travis AFB? I've heard only negative info on Vacaville and several other surrounding areas in that they're mainly suburbs for families. I want a minimal commute, especially from what I've heard about traffic in the region but I also want to be somewhere that has a significant amount of business industry that would attract professional women for their own careers. Thanks!

I used to go to Travis AFB at least once a month before I ETS'd this past summer. Most Military post on the West Coast (that are still open) are out in the middle of no where ei. Edwards AFB, Travis AFB and Fort Hunter Leggett; except for Camp Pendleton and Coronado NAB (Naval Amphibious Base Coronado). San Diego is awesome.

Either deal with a commute or live in the burbs. Google MAP the area... not much around.
Going through the Trravis AFB gates is a pain... 100% ID check even with decals.
If living on post is an option do that. The exchange there is pretty big but not as big as the one at Fort Shafter Hawaii.

My professional wife didn't want to PCS or me to deploy again with a bun in the oven (6mths old now) so I ETS'd after only 12yrs of service.

Last edited by fred9; 01-21-2014 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: more

Old 01-21-2014, 07:40 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,126 times
I'm not sure why you've heard bad things about Vacaville. It's a somewhat boring community, but it's safe. The downtown is cute and quaint, too. I know it's silly to say, but Vacaville was way better to me when they still had Borders. As of now, they don't have a bookstore. I couldn't manage.

I'd also recommend Fairfield, but if you heard Vacaville was bad, I'm sure someone might have told you that Fairfield was where the apocalypse will occur. But in all seriousness, they're both perfectly fine and I'd MUCH rather be close to work, myself.

I really don't know why you would want to pay significantly more to live 40 minutes away from your work and pay a $5 bridge toll everyday, so for me, a place like Walnut Creek makes zero sense.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:53 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
I guess a consideration would be drinking and driving after work. If you wanted to to go have a few beers after work, it would be fantastic if you could just walk home. So, downtown WC would be perfect. I didn't realize the commute wouldn't be that much worse. Seems like that stretch between Walnut Creek and Martinez was always really backed up whenever I went that way.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:18 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I really don't know why you would want to pay significantly more to live 40 minutes away from your work and pay a $5 bridge toll everyday, so for me, a place like Walnut Creek makes zero sense.
This is excellent advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland