Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 11:20 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,872,840 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to think of an area of Oakland where I never saw a black person.

It's not working.

Also, in regards to SF itself: go to the Safeway on Webster and Geary, in Japantown. Guaranteed, you will most likely see more black people than Asian people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'm trying to think of an area of Oakland where I never saw a black person.

It's not working.

Also, in regards to SF itself: go to the Safeway on Webster and Geary, in Japantown. Guaranteed, you will most likely see more black people than Asian people...
Literally one side of Geary (western addition projects) have tons of black folks while the other side (Japan Town) almost has none.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:48 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
If I could, I would give them my city's black population. Racist snottiness aside, what would be the purpose of reversing said trend? The way to do it though would be jobs, jobs, jobs - grow the entire population and a tiny fraction of that would be black people. Maybe jobs, which are probably due to political policies opposite of how the majority of blacks vote, are the reason blacks are moving back to the South.

In a reversal, more blacks moving back to South - Washington Times
The irony of this article is that I'm Black, I live in the South, and I can't wait to get out of the South.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:05 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Literally one side of Geary (western addition projects) have tons of black folks while the other side (Japan Town) almost has none.
This is starting to raise some questions. It makes me wonder. If a Black person has the money to live in San Francisco, and ends up living in Russian Hill or Japantown, what might the perception be?

Old 06-10-2012, 12:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is starting to raise some questions. It makes me wonder. If a Black person has the money to live in San Francisco, and ends up living in Russian Hill or Japantown, what might the perception be?
There is a very small population of well off African Americans. Most end up moving to other parts of the Bay Area. It isn't super uncommon if you are single. But once people get married etc, they start looking elsewhere.

It is a fairly small group. Probably about 3 degrees of separation. Maybe 2 degrees. Especially if you are an engineer. 3 degrees if you don't work in tech.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:49 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Well, San Francisco really is a city of transients. That's not all that different than the experience of most well-off not African Americans in San Francisco. Once people get married and start thinking of starting a family and settling down, they generally do leave San Francisco and end up in some other part of the Bay Area. And imagine how expensive San Francisco would be if they didn't... yikes.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:53 PM

774 posts, read 1,858,215 times
Default still at it, eh?

Amazing that this thread is still going on... to me that means there's a lot behind it... unspoken feelings and emotions as well as belief systems.

I'm currently in Little Rock, Arkansas.
(Suddenly I'm thinking of "Mr. Peabody's Way Back Machine" ...)

The history is so deep in the south...
Centuries of brutality, spiritual bankruptcy, and human terrorism.
Psycho-linguistics have discovered that listening to Hate Radio not only changes a person's opinion, it changes his or her BRAIN.

All these centuries of brutal Apartheid ... there people here struggling with their opinions who ... in the marrow of their bones... simply don't have the ability to see a human side to this issue.

WHY is even remotely important to live with such people?
I'm almost 60.
I've lived through the preaching, the marching, the riots.. et al... and if it's this easy to for the propagandist to make people feel that blacks leaving a burning building is some kind of victory, then ... I'm either talking to Nazi's or Zombies. (Or both.)

I'm a native born Californian.
I was born in Berkeley.
My cousins and uncles lived in San Francisco.

I feel sad about the type of people who have (sometimes with good intention), corrupted and bled the Bay Area. It's a burnt out ***** compared to who she used to be. Filled with Character Disordered people on the verge of rage who slice and dice anyone they feel they can get away with scape-goating ... while never seeing their own house is filled with flames.

This is no ... "one-up manship" ... this is watching a sad, slow sinking of a once beautiful vessel sink further into moral decay, confusion, addiction, violence, and mental instability.

There is a hidden supposition that San Francisco is a better place because the blacks are pushed out. Was Nazi Germany better for burning the Jews?

It's a waste of time talking to ignorant people who never lived during the hey-day that made San Francisco such a wonderful place during the 60s and early 70s. Trolls who spit on people who made helped make it great.

I've left California.
I see the type of people who move there by visiting the places they left ... like here in Arkansas .. and I see the pain of their very being... and the "history" they've painted themselves in the corner with.

Many are too angry to talk to... too cowardly to dialog with... too confused to understand who they really want to hurt.

Adios amigos y amigas!
May your collective karmas ripen ... quickly!

Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 AM

388 posts, read 1,017,599 times
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

ANSWER TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS

According to this, uptown is majority black. All of west Oakland is majority black no exceptions. East Oakland is majority latino with black pockets, its kind of like 60/40.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:04 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,767,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

ANSWER TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS

According to this, uptown is majority black. All of west Oakland is majority black no exceptions. East Oakland is majority latino with black pockets, its kind of like 60/40.

^The link pretty much confirms everything I said... Fruitvale Avenue & International and 85th Avenue & International are the two epicenters of the latino community in East Oakland and the closer you get to MacArthur the more black it gets. The area between 23rd and High Street above Foothill and below highway 13 is quite possibly the most simultaneously socioeconomically and racially diverse region in America.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:19 AM

774 posts, read 1,858,215 times
Default This is what's happening...

This really speaks to the issue.
The icons behind Archbishop King were painted by my friend Mark Dukes who uses the authentic Russian Icon technique. He also did the work for San Francisco's St. Gregory's of Nyssa Episcopal Church.

Mark Dukes currently lives in Florida (... "where dreams go to die....") and is thinking of moving overseas.

The loss of the UNIQUE John Coltrane Church with it's DEEP thinking and the awesome music that comes out of it leaves San Francisco the poorer.

YouTube Video of the foreclosure: Video

Link to the entire story below:
Wells Fargo threatens foreclosure leader Archbishop King

Last edited by veganwriter; 06-14-2012 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: had to do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland