Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:56 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chup76 View Post
I don't know what Chinese, Japanese and Indian folk you hang around with but obviously they don't know their history in this country or what percentage they individually make up in CA.

It's pretty delusional for them not to think they are not minorities.
In my personal experience, these 3 groups in particular, are used to having a critical mass in their communities. You don't really feel like a minority when you make up 20%, 30% or more in your school or community. Especially if you are the "model minority."

The ones that start identifying either their "minority" status travel to another part of the US, where they feel the discrimination and the stereotyping (and are suddenly the only one in the room, or isolated socially without the comfort of being around people in their same group).

A good friend of mine is Japanese-American, born and raised on the Peninsula. 2 years ago she went to grad school on the east coast, and we were chatting a bit about the difference in racial dynamics. I commented, you are going to feel a lot more like a minority there, and of course at your school it won't be so Asian, you should definitely check out all of the "general minority" groups while you are there. And when she went to meetings, she'd only see a couple of other Asians. They'd all be from the Midwest, or the South. Never California. The California's didn't think they "belonged" to that "person of color" category.

I'd say if you are a middle class+ Asian (Chinese, Japanese or Indian) in CA, being a "minority" isn't on your radar.

I'd expand this to also include Persians, even though they check the "white" box on the Census form. It is the same story, although things have shifted a bit after 9/11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:14 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
There actually are examples of upper middle class areas in SF where whites do not make up the majority. The ones I can think of are just north of Ingleside/Lakeview.

Ingleside Terrace:

median income: $126,369

Westwood Park:

median income: $110,014

Sunnyside:

median income: $93,569

Not as many black people as the examples in Oakland though, and Oakland still has some upper middle class/wealthy areas that are far less white than those examples from SF. But we do have some upper middle class areas with whites below 50% of the total, or not too far above it.
Those are classic examples of said gentrification. Dollars to donuts, most of the blacks in those pie charts either bought a long time ago (or are locked into rents from way back when) or inherited their properties. Once they turn over they are unlikely to be replaced by other blacks. Only the uppermost echelon of blacks will ultimately remain.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 AM

95 posts, read 172,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
In my personal experience, these 3 groups in particular, are used to having a critical mass in their communities. You don't really feel like a minority when you make up 20%, 30% or more in your school or community. Especially if you are the "model minority."

The ones that start identifying either their "minority" status travel to another part of the US, where they feel the discrimination and the stereotyping (and are suddenly the only one in the room, or isolated socially without the comfort of being around people in their same group).

A good friend of mine is Japanese-American, born and raised on the Peninsula. 2 years ago she went to grad school on the east coast, and we were chatting a bit about the difference in racial dynamics. I commented, you are going to feel a lot more like a minority there, and of course at your school it won't be so Asian, you should definitely check out all of the "general minority" groups while you are there. And when she went to meetings, she'd only see a couple of other Asians. They'd all be from the Midwest, or the South. Never California. The California's didn't think they "belonged" to that "person of color" category.

I'd say if you are a middle class+ Asian (Chinese, Japanese or Indian) in CA, being a "minority" isn't on your radar.

I'd expand this to also include Persians, even though they check the "white" box on the Census form. It is the same story, although things have shifted a bit after 9/11.
Feel and are is different. If you look by percentages (California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau),
there are more Latino's/Hispanic than Asians in CA. Does this mean they aren't a minority? Or since Oakland is 28% African American, does this mean in Oakland they shouldn't consider themselves a minority ?

Yes, I do agree one can feel not a "minority" in certain areas of the city or california but asian's only make up 13% of CA and that's with many different
ethnic groups.

They may feel they aren't in those areas but in the racial context minority is normally used, they still are.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:40 PM

46 posts, read 78,720 times
Default I've been saying this for years.

You would also think that SF has a vibrant young Asian district. Inner Richmond and Sunset do not count. I'm writing this in a cafe in NYC that has some many ethnicities and accents my mind is blown. Let's face it. San Francisco is like that little small town that tries to hard.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chup76 View Post
Feel and are is different. If you look by percentages (California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau),
there are more Latino's/Hispanic than Asians in CA. Does this mean they aren't a minority? Or since Oakland is 28% African American, does this mean in Oakland they shouldn't consider themselves a minority ?

Yes, I do agree one can feel not a "minority" in certain areas of the city or california but asian's only make up 13% of CA and that's with many different
ethnic groups.

They may feel they aren't in those areas but in the racial context minority is normally used, they still are.
The operative word is feel. Asians are absolutely part of the umbrella term "people of color" but if you talk to a typical Chinese, Japanese or Indian person who grew up in CA, they do not identify at all as a "person of color" to be lumped in with "blacks and latinos." They identify as their particular sub-group and not as a minority, even though clearly they are. It isn't until you leave and have a better perspective on your minority status that you do.

This is 100% related to their position as the "model minority." Because generally speaking the stereotypes about Asians are really positive, and Asians, particularly in the groups above are doing pretty well, they feel like they are pretty high up in the hierarchy. But when you hit middle America and people start asking "where are you really from" you start to appreciate the shared struggle of all people of color in the US.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM

159 posts, read 491,374 times
Why do you guys care so much about black population? I'm half Asian and I like to have some Asian community around me but it's not the most of my concern. Where I live, most blacks don't like being around blacks and live up here for a reason.

And not to mention, I was in SF last Friday and I saw a TON of black people there. Maybe they don't live there, but like 30% of downtown was black. So I don't know what you guys are talking about saying there aren't many blacks in SF.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:37 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times

Mac Dre - There Is A Song For You - YouTube

Old 05-18-2012, 11:58 PM

39 posts, read 58,570 times
Thats why I believe the census isnt accurate. The housing projects that were demolished in SF only housed 500-1000 people. So theres no direct correlation in population leaving because housing projects were demolished.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:57 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The operative word is feel. Asians are absolutely part of the umbrella term "people of color" but if you talk to a typical Chinese, Japanese or Indian person who grew up in CA, they do not identify at all as a "person of color" to be lumped in with "blacks and latinos." They identify as their particular sub-group and not as a minority, even though clearly they are. It isn't until you leave and have a better perspective on your minority status that you do.

This is 100% related to their position as the "model minority." Because generally speaking the stereotypes about Asians are really positive, and Asians, particularly in the groups above are doing pretty well, they feel like they are pretty high up in the hierarchy. But when you hit middle America and people start asking "where are you really from" you start to appreciate the shared struggle of all people of color in the US.
+1

Old 05-20-2012, 09:28 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Those are classic examples of said gentrification. Dollars to donuts, most of the blacks in those pie charts either bought a long time ago (or are locked into rents from way back when) or inherited their properties. Once they turn over they are unlikely to be replaced by other blacks. Only the uppermost echelon of blacks will ultimately remain.
No those aren't really classic examples of gentrification. Those areas I listed have been middle class/upper middle class for a long time. And I wasn't specifically talking about black people anyways, i was talking about middle/upper middle class neighborhoods that aren't majority white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac6270
You would also think that SF has a vibrant young Asian district. Inner Richmond and Sunset do not count. I'm writing this in a cafe in NYC that has some many ethnicities and accents my mind is blown. Let's face it. San Francisco is like that little small town that tries to hard.
What the hell are you talking about? Are you trying to imply there are no young Asian people in the city? Over 30% of SF is Asian, and you must be blind if you're not seeing young Asians in the sunset or Richmond districts. Walk down Taraval, Irving, Clement, or Geary, and tell me that there is absolutely nothing "young", "Asian", or "vibrant" to your surroundings. Good luck with that. And what about Chinatown? The Excelsior? Ingleside? Portola? There are lots of Asians all over the city, of all ages. Or maybe you meant something else with that post...though I'm not really sure what.

And a small town? Yeah, a city proper of 800,000+ with a metro area of 7 million+ is so small. Right.

And in case anyone forgot, SF is still one of the most racially diverse big cities in the US, and the Bay Area as a whole is THE most diverse big metro in the US:

Largest CSAs/MSAs (MSA listed when a city has no CSA) by racial diversity index (higher=more diverse), as of 2010:

1. Bay Area CSA: 69.9
2. Houston CSA: 68.4
3. Miami MSA: 66.6
4. Los Angeles CSA: 66.4
5. New York CSA: 65.3
6. DFW CSA: 63.6
7. Washington DC CSA: 63.3
8. Atlanta CSA: 62.5
9. Chicago CSA: 61.8
10. Philadelphia CSA: 52.5
11. Boston CSA: 38.2

methodology is that used by the US census here: http://www.census.gov/population/cen...ensr01-104.pdf

Last edited by rah; 05-20-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland