Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Many people think that if it's August and they're not really, uncomfortably hot, they're uncomfortable. Yes, you read that right. The lack of uncomfortably hot weather in summer is...uncomfortable for many people.
It's funny (and a bit strange) how true that can be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
The lack of uncomfortably hot weather in summer is...uncomfortable for many people.
Kind of like a Stockholm Syndrome, weather version. Or just masochistic.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:38 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REGGieSD View Post
Here in Dallas...summer temps reach up to 104. Last year we had 3 digit temps straight for around 33 days I think. when it gets below that, it's still around 90's...then you hit those days with thunderstorms and temps drop to around high 60's mid 70's for half the day, then jump back up to 80's/90's for the rest of the day. On winters temps drop to 30's/40's...so talk about getting sick literally because your boday can't keep up with the constant temp changes.
The temps in 70s-90s range is the perfect temp and Dallas gets that about 9 months/year. Consider yourself lucky!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:58 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,879 times
The south bay gets plenty hot. I went to school in San Jose and couldn't wait to get back to the breeze of SF.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:46 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
All depends on what you think you want. If you think you want hot, humid weather, then SF Bay area ain't for you. Many people think that if it's August and they're not really, uncomfortably hot, they're uncomfortable. Yes, you read that right. The lack of uncomfortably hot weather in summer is...uncomfortable for many people.
This is strangely true haha. Some people don't just like heat, they want to complain about how hot it is almost as if they should be. Give me the mild summers here any day

Old 06-05-2012, 12:55 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,249,049 times
I'll take a cool breeze over the baking heat in Sacramento some summer days.
While its still a "dry heat" so is my oven and I wont stick my head in there!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:01 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
The temps in 70s-90s range is the perfect temp and Dallas gets that about 9 months/year. Consider yourself lucky!
Dallas is extremely uncomfortable 7-8 months out of the year and miserable 2-3 months of the year. the 70s-90s months are 1.5-month long bookends to 4 months of 90s-100+ (in the heat of summer, the nighttime temp is often over 90) and 3 months of 30-40 degree drizzle and regular hard freezes that dip into the 20s. The remaining months are total wild cards that can be any of the above scenarios on any given day.

During a one-year stint in Dallas, I witnessed three tornadoes, multiple damaging hail storms, 112 degree air temperature, drought severe enough to contribute to multiple grass fires, a hard freeze with 1/4 inch of ice on roadways, mud raining from the sky, a plague of crickets, a 3am temperature of 98 degrees and countless other weather and environmental atrocities that made me believe I was witnessing the seven signs of the coming apocalypse.

Dallas is not lucky in the weather department.

Remember too, that Dallas heat is usually very humid. They will be quick to remind you that they are not as humid as Houston, but it will curl your hair and suck all the life out of you in about three steps to your car.

I really do believe Dallas is hell on earth.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:30 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,200 times
Weather is all relative to personal preferences. I may be relocating to Mountain View from here in Virginia, and the weather is one of my concerns.. but also something I'm excited about.

I'm excited, because the heat and humidity here in VA is pretty awful in the summer. Nothing like Houston where I grew up, but we still get way too much 90+ here for my liking.

Concerned, because I am a weather enthusiast, and more particularly, a snow and winter enthusiast. I enjoy snow - the more the better - and I like cold weather as well. Christmas and Thanksgiving in the low 60s (bay area weather) is just WRONG in my opinion.

So basically, I'm losing a semi-real winter (I say semi-real, because it isn't like Boston here, there's plenty of years we get less than 10" of snow) but gaining a comfortable summer with warm days and cool nights. Plus, I have the ability to drive to "guaranteed" snow up in the Sierra in the winter. And I do find marine influenced microclimates interesting to watch and study...

Tradeoffs, tradeoffs.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
This past Christmas was into the upper 40s/low 50s in the Bay Area.A few mornings dipped briefly below 40. So, you should enjoy that. Thanksgiving is another story. You'll see 60s if you're lucky. If Indian summer decides to linger, you could see 70s.

As a fellow former Houstonian, allow me to welcome you to the best weather on the continent.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
Weather is all relative to personal preferences. I may be relocating to Mountain View from here in Virginia, and the weather is one of my concerns.. but also something I'm excited about.

I'm excited, because the heat and humidity here in VA is pretty awful in the summer. Nothing like Houston where I grew up, but we still get way too much 90+ here for my liking.

Concerned, because I am a weather enthusiast, and more particularly, a snow and winter enthusiast. I enjoy snow - the more the better - and I like cold weather as well. Christmas and Thanksgiving in the low 60s (bay area weather) is just WRONG in my opinion.

So basically, I'm losing a semi-real winter (I say semi-real, because it isn't like Boston here, there's plenty of years we get less than 10" of snow) but gaining a comfortable summer with warm days and cool nights. Plus, I have the ability to drive to "guaranteed" snow up in the Sierra in the winter. And I do find marine influenced microclimates interesting to watch and study...

Tradeoffs, tradeoffs.
You get over the feeling that you're 'missing out' on seasons pretty quickly To quote Daniel Tosh.... "I love seasons. That's why I live somewhere that skips the sh**** ones!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland