Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 03:48 PM

146 posts, read 565,548 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been living in the Bay Area for a long time now. I might be moving within a year and am thinking of San Rafael/Larkspur-- cities near the Richmond-San Rafael bridge. I've been through the area a lot but just on the weekends. Some inside scoop on the following will be greately appreciated:

1. How's the commute between the Oakland area (where I work) and San Rafael on the bridge? Is it doable in 1 hour or less during rush hour?

2. Can I find a decent 1-bedroom apartment for less than $1,200?

3. I noticed that there's a large illegal Mexican presence around downtown San Rafael. Is that known to have caused crime problems?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 02:05 AM

124 posts, read 732,440 times
1. How's the commute between the Oakland area (where I work) and San Rafael on the bridge? Is it doable in 1 hour or less during rush hour?

Probably
2. Can I find a decent 1-bedroom apartment for less than $1,200?

Yes
3. I noticed that there's a large illegal Mexican presence around downtown San Rafael. Is that known to have caused crime problems?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Old 09-28-2007, 10:26 AM

36,641 posts, read 67,257,397 times
I dont think its worth it to live there and then commute to the Oakland area when there are plenty of options closer to your job-Keep in mind the freeway you take in the East Bay once you cross the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge is the busiest freeway in Northern California-why put yourself through that? If you can afford San Rafael then you can afford something nice in one of the East Bay's better areas. my 2 cents.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:46 PM

12 posts, read 31,999 times
I live in San Rafael and I think it's pretty nice. Rent is a lot more expensive than in the East Bay, and 1200 is probably the absolute cheapest you're going to find for a 1br. Housing is competitive out here too. As far as crime goes, it's pretty much nonexistent in Marin. I work in a Mexican neighborhood and I never feel unsafe. It's mostly people here working to take care of their families. There isn't a homeless problem here like other parts of the bay area, and it's really clean. I recommend San Rafael if you can afford it.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:43 AM

341 posts, read 900,785 times
Why are we being racist for? If they were illegal Russian immigrants, would we be asking the same damn question? I think you should stay in whatever hick little town you came from. Idaho? Wisconsin? Don't come to San Francisco if the sight of "illegal Chinese, Mexican, Korean, Japanese, Salvadorean, Columbian, and/or Vietnamese immigrants" disgust you.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmagus View Post
I live in San Rafael and I think it's pretty nice. Rent is a lot more expensive than in the East Bay, and 1200 is probably the absolute cheapest you're going to find for a 1br. Housing is competitive out here too. As far as crime goes, it's pretty much nonexistent in Marin. I work in a Mexican neighborhood and I never feel unsafe. It's mostly people here working to take care of their families. There isn't a homeless problem here like other parts of the bay area, and it's really clean. I recommend San Rafael if you can afford it.
How about the "Canal" area? Is it safe? My sister (in her 50's) wants to buy a condo there ( it's a little more affortable). But my friend said: some gang activity over there from time to time.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:29 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,075,929 times
The canal area is one place you can live if you can't afford anything else. Gangs? yes. High crime? It isn't dangerous just to be there, and lots of people work on making it a community, but crime is higher than most other places in Marin.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:32 PM

253 posts, read 1,329,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locus View Post
How about the "Canal" area? Is it safe? My sister (in her 50's) wants to buy a condo there ( it's a little more affortable). But my friend said: some gang activity over there from time to time.
The Canal area was Marin County's "Crime Central" even 35 years ago, long before the illegals started arriving en masse. It's affordable for a reason - and thus best avoided. Most of the rest of San Rafael is pretty good, though the housing stock tends to be quite a bit older than the Bay Area average (true for much of Southern Marin).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland