Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 PM

25 posts, read 53,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamision69 View Post
Honestly, It's not that bad. I lived in the flats, outside deep east oakland which people consider the worst neightborhood (98th ave) for about 5 years. Not one thing ever happened, but then again I tend not to be out by myslef super late at night, and keep aware of my surroundings. The neighbors were all great, and had a good family feel. I felt fine letting my kids out during the day to run around the block with some of the other kids. Aside from the occasional gunshots, it really wasnt as bad as people build it up to be. Just dont be stupid and set yourself up for things to happen.
This is the most accurate portrayal I've read so far. The violence is most certainly not as random as people here like to suggest and some of the "gunshots" you heard were actually firecrackers or fireworks I'm pretty sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 PM

25 posts, read 53,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
"It's not that bad." "I felt fine letting my kids out during the day to run around the block with some of the other kids" "Aside from the occasional gunshots, it really wasnt as bad as people build it up to be"

simply put the overwelming majority of parents would not say it's not that bad letting their children run around with occasional gunshots flying off.

i don't even understand the logic in trying to argue that position.

i'm done here.
No one's saying that Oakland's perfect, just that it's not the ruthless war zone that many people choose to portray it as.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:42 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That is your personal opinion, and is shared by many but not all.
Yes, only 99.9999999% of parents would care and worry about their kids playing in a neighborhood where occasional shoot outs happen. So it's not all of them.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
So let's see, we have someone who actually lived in the neighborhood relating their honest experience getting told by those who've never even been there she/he is wrong in what they think. Do I see a larger trend here? Nah, couldn't be.
Yeah the neighborhood was so awesome that he finally admitted that he couldn't wait to get out of there "ASAP" when he could afford it. Why try to sugarcoat that? If a neighborhood stinks, just say it, but don't endanger people by lying or hiding the truth about how dangerous an area is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamision69 View Post
Yes, the neighbrohood had its problems, yes it was dangerous sometimes, and yes, I wanted to move asap, and did.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Yeah the neighborhood was so awesome that he finally admitted that he couldn't wait to get out of there "ASAP" when he could afford it. Why try to sugarcoat that? If a neighborhood stinks, just say it, but don't endanger people by lying or hiding the truth about how dangerous an area is.
Because it obviously didn't stink in all aspects. S/he stated there were good and bad aspects to the neighborhood, which is something you didn't want to hear, so you accused the poster of being dishonest, which they clearly were not. They even stated they are the type of person to not roam at night, and keeps their wits about them.
Parents don't want their children playing in a neighborhood where gunshots happen, but other people may not be as worried, such as the OP, who has a dog not a child. SOMA and the Mission, two neighborhoods which "occasional gunshots" happen on a regular basis, aren't parents' first choice, but they are highly desired by young people and young professionals.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Because it obviously didn't stink in all aspects. S/he stated there were good and bad aspects to the neighborhood, which is something you didn't want to hear,
Unlike you I don't have any "dog" in this debate. All I want to "hear" is the truth so people reading this thread can get honest feedback about a neighborhood.

You're insane if you think occasional gunshots, and children running around in one of Oakland's most notorious neighborhoods can be acceptable to anyone except for psychopaths, murderers, or iraqi war veterans. There have been 19 murders within a mile of that neighborhood since January. Yeah, it sounds like a place where everything is cool.

Like ssmaster said, this is ridiculous this is even being debated, and shows that you really aren't interested in truthful information, just "protecting" Oakland's image at all cost. Perhaps you should be talking to the families of the murder victims that have died in the streets there. I think their perceptions have been tainted about how cool their neighborhood is, because I know for sure you're not convincing anyone on this board that 98th in East Oakland is a decent hood.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:59 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I also don't see the point in arguing with someone who accuses others of dishonesty when relating their personal life experiences in a place they themselves have not lived. You're the one leveling accusations at everyone who does not agree with your POV, then claiming you have "no dog in this debate". And you have the nerve to state you "want people to hear the truth" but go on to shout down anyone's truth which doesn't fit your version of "the truth".
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, other than people vary in their expectations of what makes a good place to live, a concept you seem unable or unwilling to wrap your head around.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
Let's clear up the facts and opinions here.

Fact: he/she stated that the neighborhood has occasional gunshots.

Opinions: Occasional gunshots make an area unsafe. Occasional gunshots are acceptable. Aside from the occasion gunshots the area isn't that bad or what folks make it out to be.

My opinion: Occasional gunshots is unsafe for me, my family, dogs, kids, turtle, and whatever else! But if someone tells me that's acceptable then I have no way to argue that because that's crazy to me. Statements like, aside from occasional gunshots the area ain't that bad is a contradiction. The gunshots make the area bad. It's like saying, well aside from the occasional raping, mugging, pimping, killing, the area really ain't that bad.

Some folks keep defending Oakland's crime problem by pointing out bad areas of SF. The TL, Bay View, Hunter's Point, Sunnydale projects and etc. are dangerous and ghetto. Nobody is going to sit here and say nope those places aren't really that bad aside from the occasional gunshots, drugs, and murders. We recognize those are bad areas and won't sugar coat it to be decent places.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I also don't see the point in arguing with someone who accuses others of dishonesty when relating their personal life experiences in a place they themselves have not lived.
It's disingenous when someone only says "the truth" after being called out on it.

Simple example for you based on this thread:

Person 1: The neighborhood is cool.

Person 2: What? It's the most dangerous neighborhood in Oakland.

Person 1: Well, I couldn't afford anywhere else, so when I could, I got out of that place ASAP!

Person 1 is being dishonest because they only told "the truth" AFTER being called out on it.

If you don't get what other people have been saying after that simple example, I don't know what else to say except "public education strikes again."

Quote:
other than people vary in their expectations of what makes a good place to live
Yeah, and for 99.99999% of the population, occasional shoot outs isn't part of that expectation unless you were born in Kabul, Afghanistan. Why are you purposefully being a muppet? Do you think it's funny, or entertaining? You know damn well that shoot outs and gun shots are not cool for people except for an infinitely small minority in this country.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Any references to Kabul reak of Mr Fantastic---you need new material. Yawns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland