Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times

Advertisements

None of us have any "facts" as we're not a part of Selig's committee, so we can only speculate. And I think we can rightfully speculate the MLB would favor a ballpark plan in a team's current city, if it is viable, rather than moving the team....especially if they can avoid a lawsuit in the process. MLB certainly can be sued by the Giants, and likely would given their ownership; even if they don't have a case, it could get messy, so why go down that road if a viable option in the current city presents itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 04:44 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
None of us have any "facts" as we're not a part of Selig's committee, so we can only speculate. And I think we can rightfully speculate the MLB would favor a ballpark plan in a team's current city, if it is viable, rather than moving the team....especially if they can avoid a lawsuit in the process. MLB certainly can be sued by the Giants, and likely would given their ownership; even if they don't have a case, it could get messy, so why go down that road if a viable option in the current city presents itself?
Indeed, it could become a tricky situation. More commentary on it in today's news: A's move from Oakland to San Jose can't get traction because the Giants prove slippery - Yahoo! Sports

Old 08-10-2012, 05:16 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
I really liked this quote from Weeks regarding all the empty seats:
Quote:
"I see the diehard fans," he said. "When we get something going, they make the place sound and feel like a full house."
You gotta love the A's to go see them in the Coliseum today. The place is a depressing dump and the area around it sucks.

Quote:
And furthermore, the current Giants ownership focused on creating a fan base in the San Jose area when the team was purchased in the early 1990s and considered moving 40 miles south from old Candlestick Park. The A's, thinking they might have the Bay Area to themselves, told them to go ahead. The Giants succeeded in spreading their brand and found a way to get a new ballpark built in San Francisco. Now they are going to allow the A's to pitch their tent in San Jose? They think not.
Before I simply didn't care for the Giants but I can't stand that fkn team anymore. So damn greedy and so much of their fanbase is obnoxious as hell now (the newer fans generally). The A's helped their sorry as*es out and now they can't return the favor. Probably scared of being relegated back to the pathetic, medicore team they historically have been for most of their time in the Bay Area. Too bad they never moved to Florida.

Last edited by sav858; 08-10-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
The thing I'll never understand about Bay Area baseball teams is how many fans claim to pull for both teams. Actually, it's mostly Giants fans that say they also like the A's. Most A's fans I know pretty much hate the Giants.

I've never met a single Yankees/Mets fan, nor a Cubs/White Sox fan, so I'm curious how this works.

Any long term fans of both teams care to explain this? While you're at it, explain your NFL allegiances, because I really don't get it...

Old 08-10-2012, 06:27 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
The thing I'll never understand about Bay Area baseball teams is how many fans claim to pull for both teams. Actually, it's mostly Giants fans that say they also like the A's. Most A's fans I know pretty much hate the Giants.

I've never met a single Yankees/Mets fan, nor a Cubs/White Sox fan, so I'm curious how this works.

Any long term fans of both teams care to explain this? While you're at it, explain your NFL allegiances, because I really don't get it...
It's a Bay Area thing, people just have a lot of regional pride or something, they just want to "support the Bay" when it comes to basbeall. I don't get it really. Most of my friends are one or the other but I do know people that support both teams.

I don't think CA baseball fans have quite as much passion and loyalty as ones in the Midwest and East Coast do but you don't see this in LA with the Dodgers/Angels nearly as much as here, or really much at all. And one thing you will NEVER see in any 2-team market is this:

The funny thing is that whole supporting both Bay Area teams rarely extends to football. Very few people support both the Niners and Raiders. Whenever I ask someone how can you support both baseball teams and they say something like "I'm a Bay Area baseball/sports fan", I then point out how they don't do that with football.

I like the Niners, have never liked the Raiders at all. Plus they weren't here for much of my youth. As I said few people support both. You'll find plenty of A's/Niners fans but much fewer Giants/Raiders fans.

I don't believe in rooting for rivals of any of your teams and the A's and Giants are regional rivals, they play each other twice each year. I like the Chargers and Padres too but they rarely play the Niners or A's as they are in different leagues/Conferences and play only once every few years and aren't rivals in any way. But I love the A's by far above any other team.

I think a higher % of A's fans have more animosity towards the Giants than the other way around and it's increased over the past 10+ or so years because of what has happened. The Giants got a new stadium and the A's have had to deal with crappy ownership and the Coliseum. Then the Giants got their one fluke championship and many fans started acting like they are the Yankees; being super obnoxious, talking about attendance/stadium issues with the A's, players being traded away, etc...

And many of these newer Giants "fans" don't know jack sh*t about that team before AT&T, I bet the majority have never even seen a baseball game at Candlestick. Yet for those 25-28+ years old and older, we can rememeber when we packed that Coliseum before Mt Davis ruined it and the A's were the best baseball team in the Bay Area and outdrew the Giants. So it gets on my nerves when some of these Giants fans act like we've always had these attendance/stadium issues and have no memory or idea what the Giants were like before At&t.

It's funny how this year the Giants are spending $120 million dollars and aren't any better than the A's, the team with the 2nd lowest payroll in baseball, and that's on top of playing in the weakest division in baseball.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:20 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
+1

anyone else?

Old 08-11-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
+1

anyone else?
That hat is a travesty and anyone caught wearing one should be *****-slapped on sight.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:39 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
Meanwhile they are putting up iron in Santa Clara. The question still remains, will it ever become a stadium, or, a half completed eyesore like the 280/101/680 interchange was for years.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 3,807 times
Oakland will keep the team, according sources.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban boy View Post
Oakland will keep the team, according sources.
Please share those sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland