Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:30 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times

Advertisements

Santa Cruz is a laid back beachy college town in the Bay Area. Other than that, try any of the Southern CA towns with the name "Beach" in it. Long Beach comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Eh. I would skip Long Beach if you can swing it. No beach culture really compared to Santa Monica, or even Laguna Beach. It's so ghetto now days. I went on a Wednesday afternoon a few months ago, all the bathrooms on the beach were locked, and every bench there was a migrant worker sleeping. Sometimes they put their sheets directly on the sand to lay down and soak up rays. I even saw some drug paraphernalia in the sand.

Long Beach had its best days in the 70s and 80s. I remember when the Yardhouse and all of those shopping areas used to be a huge park. Kids used to fly kites, ride bikes, it was something beautiful. Now it's some concrete hangout for young teens, thuggy wannabes, with only a few decent restaurants in the area that aren't chains.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 PM

10 posts, read 18,654 times
Wow! Thanks for ALL the great answers. I really appreciate it. FYI- I lived in San Diego before..I loved the weather and vibe but after spending a few years there I was itching to get out. I found it pretty bland, no real diversity anywhere I went. I ended up driving up to LA a lot of my weekends since I had friends there and because there were much more options when it came to the music and bar scenes. But honestly, I'd go back in a heartbeat over the east coast!

Thanks again! I am really hoping I get back to CA soon...my heart and soul really misses it.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Long Beach is alrightmod cut. There are a lot of ghetto people here but Belmont Shores is really nice, with a ton of local restaurants and shops, and really nice housing in the nearby area. Downtown has a lot going on and has a lot of new and older condo buildings nearby. The beaches are alright for sunbathing but definitely feel too industrial, they're not really maintained well compared with the beaches further up the coast or beaches in OC. Compared with the rest of the LA area Long Beach in general is pretty clean (definitely way cleaner than comparable areas in LA) and is actually pretty dense and walkable, and is definitely surprisingly bikeable. Generally it's a little out of the way but it's fairly convenient to jobs in western OC and nearby towns like Lakewood or downtown LA.

Again it's an ok town and pretty underrated and has kind of cheap rent, but its suitability mainly depends on whether it's convenient for getting to work. It's definitely more hip and urban than anywhere in OC, and it's cleaner and safer than a lot of parts of South Central or LA.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-06-2012 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: please don't attack other posters while defending your own position

Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
One word: Capitola. A beautiful little town just south of Santa Cruz. It's a slice of So Cal in NorCal.

I find it odd that people recommend Alameda, Emerville, and other locations on the SF Bay ... they are not really beach towns as they are not on the ocean.
True, but the OP was enthusing about Oakland.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Santa Monica has the urban vibe she's looking for. Long Beach does too, but it also has the crime problem Oakland has (though not as acute). Also Long Beach has filthy beaches IMO.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Pacifica, HMB ... even the City itself in the Outer Sunset / Outer Richmond.

Further afield - Stinson, Santa Cruz ...

Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
If you want legit beaches skip all of NorCal.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
If you want legit beaches skip all of NorCal.
Bandmate of mine poured a bunch of sand on his third-story balcony in Belmont. Instant beach.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:05 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Pacifica, HMB ... even the City itself in the Outer Sunset / Outer Richmond.

Further afield - Stinson, Santa Cruz ...
The OP said she didn't want freezing and foggy. And Stinson is too far a drive to get to work in any nearby city or town. It's a bit isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland