Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
We both know who is making excuses for Oakland's absurdly high crime rate and trends. I can only speak for myself and I don't think I'm absurdly anti-Oakland. I even said that Oakland has the potential to be a great city if it would get serious about its issues, namely crime. However, when you have a bunch of members that think Oakland is Disney World, then it tends to push me and I think others to focus mostly on the negatives to balance it out.
Actually, I have no idea who you're talking about. What 'bunch of members' think Oakland is Disney World?

Again, for the millionth time, OAKANDERS GET THAT WE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH VIOLENT CRIME.

Do you want me to bring up the fact that you live near BV/HP again? Shall I point out the murder rate there? I don't think people know how bad things are there, so maybe I should remind everyone. Do you see how pointless and annoying it would be for me to do so?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
No it didn't. Why are you purposefully being misleading and lying?

Murders (New Orleans 1999 - 2010)
264 - Katrina

I also find it funny that you have to compare Oakland to a city 2,000 miles away just to say "Hey, at least we're not as bad as New Orleans in the deep south!"

Oakland is located in one of the wealthiest areas in the entire country! Imagine if New Orleans had the raw economic capital that Oakland should have access to, but no it doesn't because it's in the deep south. Oakland has so many more advantages geographically, and economically, yet is unable to take advantage of them. 30% of all VC capital flows through the SF Bay Area, and yet none of it gets to Oakland. Why?

This is a ridiculous comparison.
There were actually 199 murders in 2011. But hey, who's counting?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
Well, unless I failed arithmetic, 199 isn't equal to 400.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YongAe View Post
Are you having difficulties with comprehension? Again, you said people in oakland should not be going out to eat because of the crime. New Orleans is an example of a tourist destination with a crime problem yet sane people don't let that deter them. However when it comes to oakland it's crazy to you? Again you compared Oakland to a city in another country but comparing oakland to another american city is off limits now? LOL but mogadishu, yeah that's logical. Last you must have just recently heard of NO from the late 80s to the early and mid 90s the consistant murder rate was over 300 and into the 400 range. LOL at you calling anybody a liar. Look it up.
You said:

Quote:
before Katrina
You never said in the 80s and 90s. Why would you reference stats from 20+ years ago that have no bearing on the current city at all? mod cut

mod cut
Even if New Orleans had 400 murders a year in the 80s, it shows the city has markedly improved in the 90s, and 2000s by cutting its murder rate in HALF, that's a downward trend. Oakland unfortunately has not improved much statistically, and in fact the trend is upwards these days.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-05-2012 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: don't call other posters liars. Warning.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
youngae understood the point of my post.
let me rephrase

how are residents of oakland in denial and the new orleans residents and the tourist who go to the entertainment and dining venues and are enjoying a city with such a higher homicide rate are not in denial ?

making issue of new orleans being in the south while ignoring the question is an obvious red herring fallacy. you can do better
please answer the question

Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 PM

If we're going to discuss New Orleans and Oakland, let's use CURRENT statistics. Some of the people posting on this thread weren't even out of diapers in 1994.

Here are the CURRENT statistics (not from 1994), let's discuss, shall we?

New Orleans annual crimes per 1,000 residents
Violent - 7.57
Property - 37.57
Total - 45.13

Oakland annual crimes per 1,000 residents
Violent - 16.12
Property - 45.60
Total - 61.72

Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 PM

why do you keep leaving the murder rate out?

wasn't that the one that was brought up in the first place? the fact that Oakland already has 115+ murders this year?

why is that not worth comparing anymore?

maybe the overall violent crime rate in NO is lower because less people survive being murdered LOL

Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
why do you keep leaving the murder rate out?

wasn't that the one that was brought up in the first place? the fact that Oakland already has 115+ murders this year?

why is that not worth comparing anymore?

maybe the overall violent crime rate in NO is lower because less people survive being murdered LOL
Because I never said New Orleans as a whole was a safe city or didn't have crime problems. The only reason New Orleans has come up in this thread at all is to detract and create a strawman away from the point of the article.

Notice many of you refuse to actually address the article? BMW and myself are the only ones who actually read it.

Now we're on some tangent about New Orleans that has NO relation to the article. Talk about a derailed thread.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Because I never said New Orleans as a whole was a safe city or didn't have crime problems. The only reason New Orleans has come up in this thread at all is to detract and create a strawman away from the point of the article.

Notice many of you refuse to actually address the article? BMW and myself are the only ones who actually read it.

Now we're on some tangent about New Orleans that has NO relation to the article. Talk about a derailed thread.
If it were such a ridiculous tangent, why were you the first to include specific crime stats to compare them in the first place? Why omit the murder rate when that's one of the things that's constantly mentioned as a negative aspect of living in Oakland?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 PM

I'm out of here. This thread had potential. Such a well written article by someone with a heart for the City of Oakland. Instead, we got this thread.

You guys can go ahead and talk about clubs in Uptown, and $10 beer happy hours, while the murder rate rises, and the cities politicians and police department put the city into more and more debt.

I'm going to watch some news, and get some juice and cookies. Later everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland