U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 PM
 
Location: AK, CA, FL, WA, AUS
6,138 posts, read 4,301,842 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So let's see, based on the stats behind the injunction, the Northside "Gang" accounted for around 50 incidents --- just incidents. Last I checked, there were easily 80 murders in DEO last year. Don't those families need solutions?

Not according the Oakland PR team.......

I'd rather see resources focused on solving the real problems. Not a handful of problems because they are close to trendier areas. And I live near the area in question.
Once again, you fail to see my point. Why not focus on all trouble areas? I know Oakland is a terribly mismanaged city, but they surely should be able to attack crime at two ends or are you saying the local officials are so stupid they can only do one thing at a time?

 
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
2,689 posts, read 2,021,278 times
Reputation: 2129
Uh, when you have limited resources, it's usually best to tackle THE BIGGEST problem first, which would be DEO and the bad parts of West Oakland.

But those areas are residential and not places foodies/tourists/hipsters come over in droves on BART to visit.

Why is this hard to understand?
 
Old 02-11-2013, 03:20 PM
 
Location: AK, CA, FL, WA, AUS
6,138 posts, read 4,301,842 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Uh, when you have limited resources, it's usually best to tackle THE BIGGEST problem first, which would be DEO and the bad parts of West Oakland.

But those areas are residential and not places foodies/tourists/hipsters come over in droves on BART to visit.

Why is this hard to understand?
If you have limited resources, then you'll want more revenue or at the very least you don't want to lose revenue. It's important to keep parts of town where foodies, tourists, hipsters frequent in "droves" safe because you don't want them to feel in danger. If they don't feel safe say good bye tax revenue, which means even less resources.

Why is this hard to understand?

Last edited by bmw335xi; 02-11-2013 at 04:18 PM..
 
Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM
 
941 posts, read 1,128,199 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you have limited resources, then you'll want more revenue or at the very least you don't want to lose revenue. It's important to keep parts of town where foodies, tourists, hipsters frequent in "droves" safe because you want them to feel in danger. If they don't feel safe say good bye tax revenue, which means even less resources.

Why is this hard to understand?
I have to agree with this.
the wealthier neighborhoods/hipsters consumers pay more in taxes and buy more taxable goods.
they generally use less city/county recources. you need them to make up for the unemployed or the folks on government assistance in places like Deep east oakland.
the tourist spend money and don't use city recources
new orleans ,new york,las vegas the mantra is the same don't $%@* with the tourist and keep the wealthier areas safe.

it's a sad fact of life
 
Old 02-11-2013, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
2,689 posts, read 2,021,278 times
Reputation: 2129
So you admit that you'd rather put a band-aid on the problem than to actually tackle and fix the CORE of Oakland's socioeconomic problems?
 
Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 PM
 
65 posts, read 62,652 times
Reputation: 66
I believe Fruitvale and North Oakland were targeted for gang injunctions because community groups there supported the idea, while in West Oakland and farther out in East Oakland, most of the community groups were actively opposed.
 
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,816 posts, read 6,133,772 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbehs View Post
I believe Fruitvale and North Oakland were targeted for gang injunctions because community groups there supported the idea, while in West Oakland and farther out in East Oakland, most of the community groups were actively opposed.

If true that's interesting given that the brunt of the opposition to the North Oakland gang injunction comes from people that are from North Oakland. I'm guessing said community groups that helped get these injunctions through in the first place are mainly comprised of recent arrivals.
 
Old 02-12-2013, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, CA
2,518 posts, read 1,533,127 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you have limited resources, then you'll want more revenue or at the very least you don't want to lose revenue. It's important to keep parts of town where foodies, tourists, hipsters frequent in "droves" safe because you don't want them to feel in danger. If they don't feel safe say good bye tax revenue, which means even less resources.

Why is this hard to understand?
Agree with this.

This is how you preserve economic vitality in a city. Make sure the places where people do actual spend money are protected. S.F has done a good job of this in Union Square for the most part. I've seen drug dealers escorted out of the mall food court by staff as soon as they try to setup shop.
 
Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
15,670 posts, read 9,691,821 times
Reputation: 10739
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Agree with this.

This is how you preserve economic vitality in a city. Make sure the places where people do actual spend money are protected. S.F has done a good job of this in Union Square for the most part. I've seen drug dealers escorted out of the mall food court by staff as soon as they try to setup shop.
This makes sense in theroy, the reality is, for the area where the gang injunctions are, aren't really impacted by the "gangs" in the commercial areas where people are spending money. Except perhaps in the Golden Gate commercial district along San Pablo, which is clearly an area in transition. And not one of the media touted hotspots.

In fact, if they were really concerned, they'd put in a little more effort around reducing property crime in Temescal, and the blocks west of Telegraph. That would be more impactful than this injunction. This is a very half hearted resolution.
 
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, CA
2,518 posts, read 1,533,127 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This makes sense in theroy, the reality is, for the area where the gang injunctions are, aren't really impacted by the "gangs" in the commercial areas where people are spending money. Except perhaps in the Golden Gate commercial district along San Pablo, which is clearly an area in transition. And not one of the media touted hotspots.

In fact, if they were really concerned, they'd put in a little more effort around reducing property crime in Temescal, and the blocks west of Telegraph. That would be more impactful than this injunction. This is a very half hearted resolution.
Yeah I'm not saying the injunction solution works at all, but the concept bmw335 is describing is how S.F has managed to keep their money generating areas, well, continuing to generate massive amounts of city tax revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top