Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,783 times

Advertisements

Just stumbled across this thread while searching for something else and joined specifically to be able to post a reply and hopefully help out any other black women looking to move here...based on my personal experience as a mid-20s black woman, I'd say RUN!!!

I'm from the Midwest and have been out here for a few years now. Based on the lives of the precious few other attractive/in-shape, friendly, and well-educated black women I know here (and I humbly consider myself a member of that category as well), we have all had horrible dating experiences out here.

A lot of this is due to the fact that if you're no longer in school and fall prey to the work-gym-home routine, you simply may not come across many men, period, so you then have to resort to online dating. Online dating is a very common thing out here, which is cool, but perhaps you've seen all those studies put out about how black women are the least contacted/considered the least desirable on dating sites. We've found that to be true.

In person, guys simply don't tend to approach us. I pretty much am only approached when I go out with a white or Asian girlfriend by my side. Even then, a lot of times once the guy thinks we've broken the ice, he'll often ask if I date non-black guys or make some terrible race-related joke.

All the above applies to interracial dating. I date black and non-black guys alike, but I can't even speak to dating black men out here, because I simply don't see them. I do live on the Peninsula, so I recognize that there are definitely more black guys in Berkeley and Oakland and agree with the poster that said you may have more luck with men of all races out there.

And despite the challenges I've outlined, I still have a had a bit of luck. I don't have a flood of potential dates or get cat-called on the street like I used to in the Midwest, but I've managed to go on several dates with non-black men (again, no black men simply because I haven't seen any) that have been open-minded and didn't mention race at all. I don't think I'll be able to find a life partner out here, though.

In short, I say run because for me and a couple friends, we've had to put in an abnormal amount of time and effort to secure even a few mediocre dates out here. I will definitely be leaving the area when I'm ready to settle down.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 PM

540 posts, read 653,469 times
What an odd post. You don't see Black men? I find that impossible to believe, this ain't Idaho.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 AM

21 posts, read 28,408 times
After all is said and done it's always the same: If you're attractive you'll have no problem going out on dates.

If you're not or just average looking... well you'll have to work that much harder.

It's always been that way and always will be unless you're rich.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:45 AM

15 posts, read 46,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
What an odd post. You don't see Black men? I find that impossible to believe, this ain't Idaho.
Perhaps she is referring to her social circle/income level. I do not know much about the Bay area (outside of visiting) but from my limited experience, I saw a number of homeless and/or low income black men, but not really a lot of the other types that one would be interested in dating.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:48 AM

15 posts, read 46,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken22 View Post
After all is said and done it's always the same: If you're attractive you'll have no problem going out on dates.

If you're not or just average looking... well you'll have to work that much harder.

It's always been that way and always will be unless you're rich.
I don't agree. There are many average looking white women in the U.S. with dating options. White women do not have to be gorgeous or even very attractive to find a suitable mate.

I do agree with midwest2baygirl about the online dating thing, which is why I avoid it at all cost.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring_Forward2213 View Post
I do not know much about the Bay area (outside of visiting)
You're right you don't.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 6,285 times
Yuppie black guy in his mid-20s. Moved to SF after growing up in the suburbs in the East Coast and living in NYC and Chicago.

I can't believe how bad the dating scene is here for everyone. I've never seen so many highly accomplished young men that can't have a normal social life.

It's much worse if you're black though. A city where the 3% of the population that is black all lives in the ghetto (and the other black ppl are segregated across the bridge) is pretty much a nightmare for racial assimilation (liberal reputation notwithstanding). Girls will basically ignore you out of some combination of fear/ unfamiliarity it seems. The online stuff is impossible too.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
Yuppie black guy in his mid-20s. Moved to SF after growing up in the suburbs in the East Coast and living in NYC and Chicago.

I can't believe how bad the dating scene is here for everyone. I've never seen so many highly accomplished young men that can't have a normal social life.

It's much worse if you're black though. A city where the 3% of the population that is black all lives in the ghetto (and the other black ppl are segregated across the bridge) is pretty much a nightmare for racial assimilation (liberal reputation notwithstanding). Girls will basically ignore you out of some combination of fear/ unfamiliarity it seems. The online stuff is impossible too.
mod cut 7 million people live here and you have problems dating? I never had issues and i'm a black man.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-19-2014 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: personal assumption attack

Old 01-18-2014, 07:25 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsabird View Post

3%:has SF's black population dropped that low? what a shame. Blacks used to be one of the main stream groups in San Francisco.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:21 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
That's because black people would rather live in Oakland. SF is way more segregated and far less diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland