Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:40 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,213 times

Advertisements

Talk Talk Talk

Can't even identify a site - it all gets lumped into a general "Waterfront" mush.

The Oakland plan is a non-existent site, a non-existent environment plan, non-existent local government financial support, non-existent financing whatsoever with a non-existent ownership led by an attention-grubbing bored CEO who has no resources except for talk (if he had a full financing plan or a site or a treehugger study, you'd be sure as heck he would have said so now).

Howard Terminal- Matson has a lease until 2029 - how do you get rid of them?
Brooklyn Basin - I don't see any ballparks in the lovely renderings published recently. When I did see ballparks in visual plans, many of those ballparks didn't happen (OAK 66th St., Fremont, New Fenway, West Side Manhattan)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 10:40 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well in the interview Knauss said the site wouldn't require that much cleanup, I can't remember what he was basing that off of though.
That's the thing. He based this off some experts telling him. The bottom line is unless there's an EIR done (money) then he knows next to nothing about the actual cost of cleanup. And if an EIR was done, we'd know about it by now. C'mon you can't hide that from the public, eyes are everywhere.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 AM

343 posts, read 444,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Excellent.

Yeah, BART is a bit of a huff. A streetcar down B'way would be awesome.
Yes it would, but also very expensive.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
Talk Talk Talk

Can't even identify a site - it all gets lumped into a general "Waterfront" mush.

The Oakland plan is a non-existent site, a non-existent environment plan, non-existent local government financial support, non-existent financing whatsoever with a non-existent ownership led by an attention-grubbing bored CEO who has no resources except for talk (if he had a full financing plan or a site or a treehugger study, you'd be sure as heck he would have said so now).

Howard Terminal- Matson has a lease until 2029 - how do you get rid of them?
Brooklyn Basin - I don't see any ballparks in the lovely renderings published recently. When I did see ballparks in visual plans, many of those ballparks didn't happen (OAK 66th St., Fremont, New Fenway, West Side Manhattan)
Hey man...just a tip: can we not get another Oakland vs NYC branch off, please? Pretty please

I'd like to keep the conversation going a little more without having to get the Mods involved, like last time. Otherwise, do carry on

Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Hahhahaha

It's not the location with the best view, it's the location that could draw the most money from customers

And I do agree that Howard Terminal has pretty good weather for baseball. Bay front location, with a great view...of San Francisco

Back to sleep, wake me up when money's on the table and Oakland's future ballpark has a better view than one that looks towards its patronizing sister city. Its wealthier, safer, more beautiful sister city
The view from AT&T is of the Bay Bridge and East Bay primarily, that and a giant parking lot to the south. I guess they like to view towards the more successful baseball franchise as inspiration maybe. A new ballpark along the waterfront in Oakland wouldn't face west anyways so the view would be of Oakland/East Bay Hills.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Negotiation over litigation.

Well, stadium construction gets private financing through sponsorships. You have 45 companies (including Clorox, Safeway, Kaiser, Pandora, World Market, Matson Navigation) wanting to sit down and negotiate sponsorships (marketing programs, seat licenses, luxury suite commitments); during this negotiation is when you come out with huge deals. Wilff doesn't want to negotiate, so Knauss actively negotiates with the commissioner and the committee, as well as respecting their protocols. Boom

Clorox Field, Clorox Park, Clorox Stadium. Which one sounds better?
Don't sit down. Just show the money. $1 million from 45 companies is chump change. Just look at Cisco. And that's just ONE company. Cisco doesn't sit down, it just shows the money.

Clorox Field or Cisco Field? Detergent company or the top networking company on Earth? You tell me

Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The view from AT&T is of the Bay Bridge and East Bay primarily, that and a giant parking lot to the south. I guess they like to view towards the more successful baseball franchise as inspiration maybe. A new ballpark along the waterfront in Oakland wouldn't face west anyways so the view would be of Oakland/East Bay Hills.
And the Bay Bridge is a beautiful and imposing view. You can certainly see the East Bay coastline, but you can barely see Oakland in the distance.

But from HT, you can REALLY see SF's skyline like a sore thumb. If HT faces the East Bay Hills, then that would be the better view for me as opposed to looking at SF

Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,213 times
Wolff started proposing stadiums in 2005, meaning he had been doing work since at least 2004 going back. Why can't Oakland even do an environment study on any site since then? An environmental study isn't even real work- just assurance of downside costs. If they can't even find a site in 8+ years, how long will it take to get the remaining 95% of the work done?

Oakland got its teams based on now-antiquated set of criteria. A business with a supply-limited set of franchises should be in the revenue-maximizing area - not even the Oakland-homers here are arguing that Oakland would attract more revenue than a San Jose one.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
And the Bay Bridge is a beautiful and imposing view. You can certainly see the East Bay coastline, but you can barely see Oakland in the distance.

But from HT, you can REALLY see SF's skyline like a sore thumb. If HT faces the East Bay Hills, then that would be the better view for me as opposed to looking at SF
Ballparks don't face west for obvious reasons. I don't really think the view of the SF skyline would be that great either as you have a bunch of those cargo loader machines and a bridge blocking your view.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:06 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Don't sit down. Just show the money. $1 million from 45 companies is chump change. Just look at Cisco. And that's just ONE company. Cisco doesn't sit down, it just shows the money.

Clorox Field or Cisco Field? Detergent company or the top networking company on Earth? You tell me
Um Clorox is one of the most well known brands on Earth. The average person has no idea what Cisco does. That's your Silicon Valley bias talking.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland