Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 PM

39 posts, read 85,338 times

Advertisements

We live in Castro Valley for more then 6 years. One of the reasons we have decided to buy house here is because of good schools. Recently I have heard multiple people complain about local high school. Looks like school is getting worse in the last few years, mostly because of students that commuting from Oakland, after schools were shutdown there. My kids are in elementary school right now, but hearing negative feedback about the high school makes me worry. Will we need to send kids to a private school or move to the area with better school? I will appreciate feedback from anyone who has kids that attend Castro Valley high school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Actually, we moved to WA the year my oldest daughter was going to start CV High from Canyon, and it was one of the main reasons we moved. Back then, I had been active with the School District as president of the GATE parental group, and as a member of the Board appointed budget committee. They were making drastic cuts to the AP classes and were trying to come up with money to re-open closed schools/build new due to the influx of students from Columbia and Palamares Hills. Our choice was move or private, and after visiting here we decided to make the move.

We do know people that went to CV high and came out just fine, but the district seems to have ups and downs. One of the current factors is the deterioration of the Hayward School District. We moved near Vannoy after discovering that the Baywood area is served by Hayward schools, and even back in the 90s they were terrible compared to CV. Still having friends and family in the area, it sounds like the CV elementary schools are still great, but the middle and High are not as good as they used to be. Still better than Oakland, San Leandro and San Lorenzo and a lot better than Hayward.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I did not know Oakland schools were shut down?

My Uncle has been a volunteer High School coach for 15 years in Oakland.

Schools have a lot of leeway when it comes to out of district students. Is it possible these Oakland kids have family in the District?

Anyway, CV High has spent a lot of money on building up the infrastructure.

That said, there will always be a better school somewhere.

My boss's children went to CV and her Oldest just got her Doctorate and teaches at UCLA... the school is only part of the equation... the others being the parents and aptitude of the child.

One of my former tenants graduated from Oakland's Castlemont High School 7 years ago and is now a Doctor... she said graduating at the top of her class was a great help where she might have not been at the top in another district. Quite a young women... worked to pay her rent and went to Merrit in Oakland and then off to med school.

Right now I work with several Docs that live in Piedmont, Orinda, Pleasanton and they find the High Schools lacking and send all their kids... 7 right now, to Head Royce in Oakland...

Kind of strange when you think they live in the "Best" districts and choose a school that is in Oakland... at least to me.

My niece will start CV next year... not sure what the plan is... her Mom is super involved with the Castro Valley School District and has expressed some concerns about High School... not enough for them to move...

She plans to be a volunteer at CV High just like she is at Independent and Canyon...

Having a parent that knows all your teachers and campus life makes a huge difference.

If you are not already... you might want to be a volunteer at whatever school your child attends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland