Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 14,050 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 45-year old female, single, no kids. I got a job in San Mateo, close to Foster City border and will be moving to the Bay area in 2 months.

My first plan was to rent a 1-bed apartment very close to my company, so I could walk to my workplace instead of using a car, but after seeing the prices of apartment complexes around that area... I'm very disappointed. I was expecting $$$, but it's really crazy. I will have around $6K net/month, which in my mind was an awesome salary for a single person, but it looks like I will be paying close to 50% of my pay cheque just for rent. Is that right?

My number 1 priority is a VERY safe neighbourhood/complex, I have no concerns living alone here in Canada but I am not sure how things are in US (no disrespect, I just don't know). Then, I need to find a place with no carpets (severe allergy) which restricts my options to "renovated" apartments only (at least the complexes I saw online). Finally, I really would like to have an in-house washer/dryer. It would be great to be close to some shopping/groceries, night-life is not important at all, maybe a few restaurants/cafe if possible, but not a big issue, I can drive for that.

So, tell me the truth, am I asking too much? Can I find this anywhere, within a reasonable commute (30 min?), for maybe $2,000, $2,500 tops? The places I saw were around $3K/month.
:-(

If not possible in Foster City or San Mateo, which other cities would be OK? Burlingame seems nice, but it's expensive too. All places I looked were expensive when I chose a 1-bed apartment, "renovated" (no carpet), with W/D... is there no hope for me? I found a place in Hayward that looked OK, but I read old posts here saying that area is not safe, and I don't want that.

Where else should I look? San Carlos, Belmont? What about Redwood Shores, is it unsafe too? San Bruno? HR told me the commute is better coming north to south than the other way, is that true? They even said I could live in SF and it would be OK to drive to work everyday... I am not sure about that.

I am still reading old posts about these areas and checking some Craigslist adds , but if you can give me some suggestions already, that would be awesome!

PS: that may sound a stupid question but... will I be the "odd one" being a single woman but older? It seems there is a lot of single young people or married about my age in the Bay area and I am neither.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 11:45 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Yes, the rents in the Peninsula neighborhoods are expensive. There is high demand for them and the neighborhoods are generally nice and safe. Try places a little further north/south, such as San Bruno, or Mountain View (MV may not be a whole lot less for rent), or across the Bay (Castro Valley, etc) which definitely will be less expensive.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:45 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
There are a few out there. I just did a quick search on Craigslist and found two apartments w/hardwood floor, washer/dryer, and in a good area.

In Burlingame, hardwood floors throughout, washer/dryer (but not specified if in unit), $2000 - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/4411388921.html

In Foster City, hardwood floors throughout, washer/dryer in unit, $2390 - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/4427349769.html

Old 04-19-2014, 04:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
There are quite a few apartments around downtown San Mateo for under $2500. Check craigslist, I saw plenty. Most renovated for about $2100.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:53 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,296 times
An acceptable salary for a single in the Bay Area is $120K. It is very tough to make it on less. You may want to look into roommate situations.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
An acceptable salary for a single in the Bay Area is $120K. It is very tough to make it on less. You may want to look into roommate situations.
That's my salary, $6k/month is my net after taxes... or do you mean $120k net?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
There are a few out there. I just did a quick search on Craigslist and found two apartments w/hardwood floor, washer/dryer, and in a good area.

In Burlingame, hardwood floors throughout, washer/dryer (but not specified if in unit), $2000 - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/4411388921.html

In Foster City, hardwood floors throughout, washer/dryer in unit, $2390 - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/4427349769.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There are quite a few apartments around downtown San Mateo for under $2500. Check craigslist, I saw plenty. Most renovated for about $2100.
Yes, I have found a few ones that I'll be checking, thanks!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Sticker shock strikes again.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
You'll not be alone as a middle-aged, single woman. For meeting people, look on meetup.com. Tons of groups and activities to choose from, not all young single people or married people. I'm a single woman now 58, and I recently moved from living in Santa Clara for 10 years. I knew lots of single, middle-aged women. You'll be fine.

And as you've been told by others, you will find some places closer in your price range.

I'd suggest looking for a studio, and consider giving up the washer/dryer in-unit. It will open up a lot more options, and living close to work would really be nice. I knew a woman when I lived in Santa Clara, who would pick up and drop off my laundry. I found her on Craigslist. She only works in the San Jose area, but I'm sure you could find a service on the peninsula, too. She only charged me around $1.00/pound, and she'd hang things up for me, too.

The other option is to drop off your laundry at a laundromat or cleaners that has a wash and fold service. They will also hang up your clothes if you'd prefer them hung to folded.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You'll not be alone as a middle-aged, single woman. For meeting people, look on meetup.com. Tons of groups and activities to choose from, not all young single people or married people. I'm a single woman now 58, and I recently moved from living in Santa Clara for 10 years. I knew lots of single, middle-aged women. You'll be fine.

And as you've been told by others, you will find some places closer in your price range.

I'd suggest looking for a studio, and consider giving up the washer/dryer in-unit. It will open up a lot more options, and living close to work would really be nice. I knew a woman when I lived in Santa Clara, who would pick up and drop off my laundry. I found her on Craigslist. She only works in the San Jose area, but I'm sure you could find a service on the peninsula, too. She only charged me around $1.00/pound, and she'd hang things up for me, too.

The other option is to drop off your laundry at a laundromat or cleaners that has a wash and fold service. They will also hang up your clothes if you'd prefer them hung to folded.
That's great information, thanks a lot!

You are right, I could drop the W/D in-unit, I would need it maybe once a week anyway, so not really a big deal. I found some places in San Mateo around $2,000-$2,500 so I am not THAT stressed anymore (although it's still expensive!).

I will be flying there mid May to discuss details of the relocation and visit some communities, hope I can find some place very close to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland