Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:29 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,443,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Same. And rent for "newcommers" (what they'd pay if they moved into my unit today vs. what I paid when I moved in) has almost doubled (~1400 - 2700) in 5 years.

Regarding the OP: yes, one can find it. Pleasant Hill is a good place to start. Some towns close to PH (such as Martinez), might work. The OP will probably have to sacrifice something in their list of requirements, though, to get what they really want.

Living in the Bay Area these days really is about finding the right balance and determining what you're willing to sacrifice most (e.g. money for better location, better schools; less money for possibly decent/good schools, but a much further commute, etc.).

I think the points about the Bay Area not being like the East coast (or really, for that matter, like pretty much every metro in the country) are good to bring up: you don't really get cheaper AND good schools the further you get away from the inner city like you do elsewhere. It's hard to grasp that concept right away as a newcomer. There isn't really a Princeton, NJ in the Bay Area.
I'd argue there isn't even a Morris Plains or a Westfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 12:40 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,843,786 times
If the op ups the budget I would stick with lamordia, right near bart and good schools. Plus it is actually a really nice area. The husband will most likely be standing the entire bart ride both ways though.

Personally, I feel chasing excelent schools is overrated and a waste of money. The success of students is determined by the parents involvement to a much greater degree than the teacher in the class room or the surrounding students (sans terrible schools with drug/crime issues).

Old 04-23-2015, 01:10 PM

520 posts, read 613,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
If the op ups the budget I would stick with lamordia, right near bart and good schools. Plus it is actually a really nice area. The husband will most likely be standing the entire bart ride both ways though.

Personally, I feel chasing excelent schools is overrated and a waste of money. The success of students is determined by the parents involvement to a much greater degree than the teacher in the class room or the surrounding students (sans terrible schools with drug/crime issues).
Agree on both counts. Lamorinda (that's Lafayette/Moraga/Orinda) are good options, as are Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill. As you get farther out along the BART line, the schools have marginally worse test scores. All of these options are a reasonable commute on BART to downtown SF, although the train is crowded. You should also consider Albany, which has excellent schools and is near North Berkeley/El Cerrito Plaza BART.

Having attended schools across the gamut of test scores (basically, 2/10-10/10), I can tell you that a student's academic performance and growth is a lot more about the kid and parents than it is the school. There are some kids that need extra guidance or have special needs that can only be met at certain schools, but those certain schools that are best for some kids aren't always (or often) the top-rated schools. I did well and enjoyed my time at both higher and lower-rated schools, but I was a reasonably self-driven student. I do think there are a few bottom-ranked schools where there simply aren't enough academic opportunities for serious students, but this isn't true of the vast majority of schools. The academic pressure-cooker environment of most 10/10 schools is also not a healthy place for some kids. To summarize, know you kids, try to learn about schools, and don't blindly follow (or worry too much about!) school ratings. But they are an easy proxy for judging schools, which is helpful if you're new to an area, so I certainly understand relying on them.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:18 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,843,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Agree on both counts. Lamorinda (that's Lafayette/Moraga/Orinda) are good options, as are Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill. As you get farther out along the BART line, the schools have marginally worse test scores. All of these options are a reasonable commute on BART to downtown SF, although the train is crowded. You should also consider Albany, which has excellent schools and is near North Berkeley/El Cerrito Plaza BART.

Having attended schools across the gamut of test scores (basically, 2/10-10/10), I can tell you that a student's academic performance and growth is a lot more about the kid and parents than it is the school. There are some kids that need extra guidance or have special needs that can only be met at certain schools, but those certain schools that are best for some kids aren't always (or often) the top-rated schools. I did well and enjoyed my time at both higher and lower-rated schools, but I was a reasonably self-driven student. I do think there are a few bottom-ranked schools where there simply aren't enough academic opportunities for serious students, but this isn't true of the vast majority of schools. The academic pressure-cooker environment of most 10/10 schools is also not a healthy place for some kids. To summarize, know you kids, try to learn about schools, and don't blindly follow (or worry too much about!) school ratings. But they are an easy proxy for judging schools, which is helpful if you're new to an area, so I certainly understand relying on them.
I think where people get into trouble is assuming kids will become brain dead if they don't attend a 9/10 or 10/10 school. Pretty much anything above 4/10 will be fine for the average student (not special needs, etc.). People pay tens of thousands of dollars a year extra in rent/mortgage for no tangible benefit. You can be an involved parent (which leads to success) in an average school just like you can in an excellent school and save yourself a bunch of money and your child will get the same education and be just as successful in life.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:23 PM

3,980 posts, read 9,001,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

FYI...it's nicknamed "Lamorinda" (Lafayette, Moraga, Orinda). Three bedroom houses are going for around 4k now ! But if they can downsize to a large 2bd, there are plenty for 2100 and up. It's a wonderful area to live, but it's very pricey. Moraga may be less pricy. Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek, Martinez, and some of the other towns mentioned are great options also and BART is easily accessible (not as traumatic as some would have everyone believe).

I agree with you on the school issue. I think children can be successful in just about any school. If the parents value education and participate in school community then there's no reason why their kids won't learn. It's not like all well regarded colleges are only filled with kids from API 9/10 schools!

Old 04-23-2015, 03:45 PM

262 posts, read 165,963 times
There are a number of nice 3/2 apartment rentals in Pleasanton, complete with playgrounds, swimming pools, etc. The schools there are great, and the climate is very good, and there's BART. I went to tour a number of the apartment complexes there last year, and was impressed. There are also homes that can be rented for around $3,500, but any time you rent a house or condo, you run the risk of owner move-in or property going on the market by the time you've hung that last curtain you special ordered. The downtown area has some great restaurants, and old world charm too.

Walnut Creek also has some nice rentals as well, in a good school district, and is also on a BART line. I used to have an office out in Walnut Creek, and an office in San Francisco (off from Montgomery BART). Commute time was 45 mintues, but can be used to read books or periodicals.

Those are my two top picks for the east bay for school and housing quality, with public transit to SF.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:58 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,555,239 times
I think you could find a place in Fremont for $3,000

Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 PM

262 posts, read 165,963 times
The apartments I toured last year were: The Kensington & Park Hacienda in Pleasanton. Think the rental rates were just around $3,000. We almost moved there but then found a rental in Pacifica instead that was a little easier commute for my husband. Schools are good here, and we like the deer and wildlife (and an occasional whale).

Old 04-24-2015, 10:19 AM

51 posts, read 115,888 times
This thread is making me glad I moved away from the Bay Area three years ago to Austin, TX. Living in the Bay Area these days (especially with children) requires A LOT of trade-offs. My life is so much easier in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland