Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:59 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times

Advertisements

I used to be a big fan of bay area rap music. Too short was one of the first rap artist I heard from the bay and one of the first rap artist I ever got into period back in the 80s. I still listen to too shorts early albums in my car on a regular basis. The bay area had a nice scene back in the 90s. I was into the dangerous crew then when the mid 90s came around it seems like there was an explosion of bay area artist. Lots of Talent back then, and i followed it closely. Had a huge bay area tape collection....I never did get into the whole Hyphy movement though.

Do people in the bay area still listen to alot of 90s rap? Do youngster still ride around bumpin mob music, Or is that a thing of the past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Sounds like you need to catch a sideshow and ghost ride your whip

Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 PM

Corvettes and mustangs seem to be pretty popular over there....

I used to live and L.A and visted frequently through out the 90s. I went cruising plenty of times. Saw alot of nice cars (and a couple of shootings) but i never saw anything like a sideshow. That **** seems crazy!!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:33 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Corvettes and mustangs seem to be pretty popular over there....

I used to live and L.A and visted frequently through out the 90s. I went cruising plenty of times. Saw alot of nice cars (and a couple of shootings) but i never saw anything like a sideshow. That **** seems crazy!!
You should just listen to some Mac dre, e40, keak da sneak, mistah f.a.b or the federation

Old 08-01-2013, 07:55 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times
When I left Oakland it was all about hyphy (the music, the dance, ghost-riding, etc). Occasionally I'd hear old Too $hort bumping due to being the godfather of Oakland rap, but that was about it. Not sure how things are now (I'm of the opinion Bay Area hip-hop was never on the level of what was happening in New York, LA, Philly, etc).

Old 08-01-2013, 09:07 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,764,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I used to be a big fan of bay area rap music. Too short was one of the first rap artist I heard from the bay and one of the first rap artist I ever got into period back in the 80s. I still listen to too shorts early albums in my car on a regular basis. The bay area had a nice scene back in the 90s. I was into the dangerous crew then when the mid 90s came around it seems like there was an explosion of bay area artist. Lots of Talent back then, and i followed it closely. Had a huge bay area tape collection....I never did get into the whole Hyphy movement though.

Do people in the bay area still listen to alot of 90s rap? Do youngster still ride around bumpin mob music, Or is that a thing of the past?

The Bay is still going strong in the rap circuit but the current scene is definitely not the same as the Mobb Music scene. There's still a very strong street overtone in the majority of Bay Area rap but party music is considerably more popular locally (see HBK Gang). The major players from the 90s (San Quinn, Messy Marv, Dru Down, Yukmouth, etc.) have been forgotten for the most part by the new generation of listeners. If you're looking for rappers that have carrying on in their vein in the 2000's/2010's though I'd look into Joe Blow, Mob Figaz, Livewire, etc.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. The 90s doesnt seem like along time ago. I still listen to alot of old bay area stuff and it to me its sounds better than most **** out now.

Its like g-funk in LA. no one really does that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
(I'm of the opinion Bay Area hip-hop was never on the level of what was happening in New York, LA, Philly, etc).
The bay area might not have had the same amount of big names in the rap industry, but as far as the independant game and local scene the bay was better then most places. L.A never developed the same independant scene, not even close. Thats why I liked the bay area, I always felt the bay was more original. In L.A you had a few big names and a bunch of rappers trying to sound like them.

Quote:
You should just listen to some Mac dre, e40
I do, all their old stuff! lol

Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
E-40 could run a clinic on self=promotion, marketing, and career longevity.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:35 PM

11 posts, read 21,281 times
How has no one mentioned Hiero yet?

For me, Hieroglyphics is and always will be the best hip hop group from the bay (and from the west coast) and they are still very relevant. I mean these dudes are world famous wheres the love? HieroDay is Sep 2nd in Oakland. You still see the logo everywhere too, especially with younger kids around Berkeley, Oakland.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:47 PM

yeah I like Hiero too, but I was talking about a specific style of rap known as mobb music.

There was alot of good underground Hip hop form the bay too, Hiero, Saafir and the hobo junction, The B.u.ms, the coup etc etc...I listened to all of that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland