Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it underated
Yes 14 34.15%
No 27 65.85%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2015, 03:04 PM

4,032 posts, read 4,468,001 times

Advertisements

As a place for the ultra wealthy to live and as a tourist destination?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 03:11 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,288,171 times
In my view yes. I do think parts of Marin are wonderful - Sausalito/Tiburon/Belvedere for their views of SF and the water, along with the coastal Marin areas (Pt. Reyes) for their beauty and outdoor recreation.

Let's face it though, the former is prohibitively expensive and the latter is more of a weekend getaway type of place. Most people in Marin live in areas like San Rafael, San Anselmo and Novato. Those areas are nice and the setting is pretty, but I don't think its any better than parts of the outer East Bay - LaMorinda, Walnut Creek, Danville, etc. In fact, I think the outer East Bay has somewhat better weather (I prefer warmer temps), easier commuting via BART and you tend to get more for your money. Also, I think Walnut Creek has a lot more going on than any city in Marin.

Marin is nice, but if you aren't a mega wealthy person who can afford a mansion overlooking the Bay/City in Tiburon, I don't see the relative draw to Marin vs the outer East Bay.

In terms of the peninsula, I think there are a lot of more areas that are not as nice, bordering the more exclusive areas. It is more convenient to the city and to jobs, but it is a little too chilly for my liking and overcrowded. Also, it is even more expensive than most of Marin.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:14 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
I think it's rated just right.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:22 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
I don't think it's really a place worth visiting really, at least not in comparison to some of the Marin County towns on the water with views of SF.

As a place to live I think it is underrated somewhat but overall it has a fairly good reputation either way. Not sure about "Ultra Wealthy" but upper middle class and wealthy sure. If I could afford a $10 million house I'd probably choose Tiburon over Alamo.

Peninsula is pretty overrated and priced imo.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:23 PM

The Outer East Bay does seem to have more of a Southern California feel than Marin and the Peninsula. In Marin you can't really have that lifestyle with an outdoor pool and the weather can be gloomy and depressing. As far as downtown's goes Walnut Creek is a little bland but has more going on than San Rafael. As far as nature goes there both scenic but I prefer the scenery in the outer east bay. It's much more rugged, you can smell the pines in the summer, and the grasses turn a more intense gold. Parts of Marin almost feel more like the Pacific Northwest than a real Mediteranean Climate.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't think it's really a place worth visiting really, at least not in comparison to some of the Marin County towns on the water with views of SF.

As a place to live I think it is underrated somewhat but overall it has a fairly good reputation either way. Not sure about "Ultra Wealthy" but upper middle class and wealthy sure. If I could afford a $10 million house I'd probably choose Tiburon over Alamo.

Peninsula is pretty overrated and priced imo.
Alamo is as expensive as Palo Alto or Sausalito. Less high profile individuals though in the Tech Industry or Celebrities.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...-bay-home.html

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...enity-now.html

Old 05-22-2015, 05:00 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Alamo is as expensive as Palo Alto or Sausalito. Less high profile individuals though in the Tech Industry or Celebrities.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...-bay-home.html

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...enity-now.html
You also get A LOT more land and house for the money. Not necessarily a bad thing but some of the homes/properties can be a bit excessive imo, to each their own.

I'd rather have an amazing water and city view than of dry, brown hills if I'm spending $10 million on a home.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You also get A LOT more land and house for the money. Not necessarily a bad thing but some of the homes/properties can be a bit excessive imo, to each their own.

I'd rather have an amazing water and city view than of dry, brown hills if I'm spending $10 million on a home.
This view is just as spectacular.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/78262326.jpg

http://thumbs.trulia-cdn.com/picture...o-CA-94528.jpg

Old 05-23-2015, 03:58 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,014,088 times
The outer east bay is awful. I am just not a fan of yucky inland places personally. It is over rated for the most part. Lamorinda, Walnut Creek and the like are just boring burbs. Danville and Pleasanton are some of the most god awful cookie cutter burbs I have ever seen. The delta cities are straight up dusty.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:51 AM

58 posts, read 78,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
As a place for the ultra wealthy to live and as a tourist destination?
Underrated as a tourist destination? What would people be going to see there?

I have nothing against the outer east bay. I'm sure it's a nice place to live. But it's pretty inconvenient for many people. I don't think better PR for the outer east bay will change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland