Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you run your heater in SUMMER?
Yes 13 32.50%
No 27 67.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,442 times

Advertisements

Based on what I've heard of, living in the coastal areas of the bay (SF, Berkeley, Oakland, San Mateo, etc.) means that you won't experience any extreme weather. Meaning, summers are mild and winters won't get extremely cold. Therefore, you won't need the A/C or the heater on as often.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 12:12 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,520,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.fang236 View Post
Based on what I've heard of, living in the coastal areas of the bay (SF, Berkeley, Oakland, San Mateo, etc.) means that you won't experience any extreme weather. Meaning, summers are mild and winters won't get extremely cold. Therefore, you won't need the A/C or the heater on as often.

Berkeley, Oakland and San Mateo isn't exactly along the ocean... Anything along the ocean is VERY cold and foggy all year long.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:23 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Berkeley, Oakland and San Mateo isn't exactly along the ocean... Anything along the ocean is VERY cold and foggy all year long.
Not true, the coast is fog-free consistently (meaning the norm) from late fall to early spring. The coast can have intermittent fog in the fall and spring. The only consistent time of year for fog is the summer. And even then, it's not unusual to have a fog-free day.

And I'm not sure if I would call 55/65 "cold"... But then again, I grew up in places with actual cold weather (often below 0 F).

Old 06-26-2015, 07:02 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,139,312 times
San Francisco is a city of micro-climates. Fog is the main influencer.

There are some places in the western part of the City, very near the beach that are prone to fog in the summertime and can struggle to get above 58-60 for many days in a row. At the same time, just 10-12 blocks away, it is typically sunny and pleasant most days, with cool evenings.

In general the City enjoys Spring-like weather eight months of the year, with highs 65-70 and lows in the upper 50s. It has Fall-like weather for three months per year, with highs in the lower 60s and lows in the lower 50s, with some light rain. Then, there are about four weeks of legitimate summer temps, with highs reaching 80 and lows around 68 scattered through April and October.

In other words, the climate is pretty much ideal...

Where to Live: Cities With Lowest Heating/Cooling Demand - Developments - WSJ

Old 06-26-2015, 07:39 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
I doubt SF has ever had a low of 68, Oakland's all time warmest low is 69.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:03 PM

732 posts, read 969,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarg View Post
Whoever says they don't turn the heat on is either lying or freezing their butts off in a 65 degree house.
A lot of people have different perceptions of temperatures & weather. For me, a 65F day isn't cold at all. I'm accustomed to the weather here in SF because I have lived here all of my life and I have spent the majority of my days in this city.

It's not unusual to see some people here in SF wearing parka coats, hoodies, or other cold-weather clothing while others are in t-shirts, shorts or other warm-weather clothing.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:08 PM

238 posts, read 302,750 times
I've found that I don't take anybody's weather advise. People say that sf has terrible weather. I think it is fantastic. People also have drastically different homes that are either well or poorly insulated. I think I've had the heat on on fewer than 10 occasions in the past year. I'm certain people on my street have a different experience.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:39 PM

732 posts, read 969,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
San Francisco is a city of micro-climates. Fog is the main influencer.

There are some places in the western part of the City, very near the beach that are prone to fog in the summertime and can struggle to get above 58-60 for many days in a row. At the same time, just 10-12 blocks away, it is typically sunny and pleasant most days, with cool evenings.

In general the City enjoys Spring-like weather eight months of the year, with highs 65-70 and lows in the upper 50s. It has Fall-like weather for three months per year, with highs in the lower 60s and lows in the lower 50s, with some light rain. Then, there are about four weeks of legitimate summer temps, with highs reaching 80 and lows around 68 scattered through April and October.

In other words, the climate is pretty much ideal...

Where to Live: Cities With Lowest Heating/Cooling Demand - Developments - WSJ
Very true. I live on Bernal Heights which is one of the sunny zone districts on the west side, and it's been sunny & warm (what I consider warm anyway) here lately while the fog or overcast & winds have been on the east side of Twin Peaks and at the North of this city.

This time of year, I often see fog lingering behind Twin Peaks and to the North in the day, then it comes pouring over Twin Peaks in the evening and brings cool temperatures to this side of SF.

It can be drizzling & windy out at Ocean Beach, Golden Gate Park, the Richmond & Sunset, etc districts when it's not that way here to the west side of Twin Peaks.

These micro climates are great as they give people with different tastes for weather some degree of options while not having to live far apart. I prefer cool weather, and the trips are short to Golden Gate Park, Ocean Beach, Fisherman's wharf, the Marina, etc when I want to enjoy cooler sections of this city.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,139,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I doubt SF has ever had a low of 68, Oakland's all time warmest low is 69.
I think you may be right about this. I do stand by upper 60s being the late evening temp, though. The low might be recorded at 4am or something like that and in that case, Mid 60s for a low is pretty common for many days scattered through April-May and Sept-Oct.

Absent fog, Oakland is usually 3-5 degrees warmer or cooler, depending on the season, as it is less regulated by the Pacific. I remember waking up in the East Bay to frost a few mornings in early 2012, and it being noticeably warmer by the time I stepped out of the Embarcadero BART station. I also remember evenings of legitimate discomfort indoors in the East Bay, where the temp was in the upper 70s. SF had similar air temperature, but the cool Pacific breeze made it much more comfortable.

That's another important note regarding perceived weather. So much more factors into it than mere air temperature. The guy here who thinks SF is a "very cold desert" may actually be experiencing air temperatures only 4-5 degrees lower than I am. But, because his experience is in fog, with high humidity, wind and little sunlight, is feels much colder. Acclimation is also a factor. Visitors tend to come here in summertime, when their temps back home are 90s-100 degrees. They step out into 60s and it feels like winter by comparison.

The eastern half of SF gets intense sun, despite the relatively cool year-round air temps. Shorts and a T-shirt weather, especially for active people is common. Because SF averages nearly half the year completely free of clouds (that's totally clear-- making it one of the sunniest cities in the country) the sun plays a big role here. I often cross the street to walk on the sunny side in summertime, in short sleeves in the Financial district and am thankful for the breeze to that keeps the sun in check and vice versa. It feels like a pleasant Spring day. At night, a light sweater may be needed or a light jacket for a cable car ride, standing outside on the running board. SF's daily temperature range is very predictable and mild.

Again, fog is the determiner. If the fog (marine layer) rolls in, everything changes. The landscape in SF does a great job of regulating where the fog goes, though, as illustrated here:

VIDEO: A Rare Look at San Francisco from the Top of Sutro Tower – UpOut Blog

Old 06-27-2015, 04:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
I run cold. So ocassionally I do. Usually a few minutes maybe up to 30 if I have a chill. I live in Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland