Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 07:26 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,503 times

Advertisements

Some of the locals on the Baltimore Forum, myself included, get annoyed that many of our treads are dominated by negative posts from the Washington, DC area residents. The forum's busiest (and possibly most negative) poster is from the Washington Area. The invective is most pronounced when someone says that they are moving to Baltimore. While Baltimore City (where I live) has very well known problems, the rest of the Baltimore area is pretty prosperous and has relatively low crime.

While it might seem helpful to warn people that haven't watched the news in the last few months or The Wire that Baltimore is not problem free, warning people not to move into the metro area seems like overkill. Anyway, I have taken a look at the San Francisco - Oakland Forum and I haven't seen any of the same over the top negativity directed at Oakland by folks from San Francisco, etc. Why don't you guys pick on Oakland more? At least crime wise, Oakland seems to have big problems too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 07:36 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Some of the locals on the Baltimore Forum, myself included, get annoyed that many of our treads are dominated by negative posts from the Washington, DC area residents. The forum's busiest (and possibly most negative) poster is from the Washington Area. The invective is most pronounced when someone says that they are moving to Baltimore. While Baltimore City (where I live) has very well known problems, the rest of the Baltimore area is pretty prosperous and has relatively low crime.

While it might seem helpful to warn people that haven't watched the news in the last few months or The Wire that Baltimore is not problem free, warning people not to move into the metro area seems like overkill. Anyway, I have taken a look at the San Francisco - Oakland Forum and I haven't seen any of the same over the top negativity directed at Oakland by folks from San Francisco, etc. Why don't you guys pick on Oakland more? At least crime wise, Oakland seems to have big problems too.
Oakland gets picked on all the time for the same reasons Baltimore does. On this forum it seems like it doesn't happen as much as it did a few years ago though...people are more quick to defend the place these days. Probably because Oakland is starting to become more well known for its good side, in large part because housing prices have pushed many SF residents to Oakland, along with yuppie and hipster transplants who would have gone to SF previously. So word is getting out that it's actually a pretty cool place that isn't 110% a high crime ghetto. The murder rate has been dropping too, which always helps with reputation. But despite all that, Oakland still gets sh*t on all the time, mostly by people who have never been there, who are scared of the crime stats (and maybe scared of black and latino people too).

Old 07-25-2015, 09:15 AM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times
Most "place bashing" comes from one side of the political spectrum, which must always have its scapegoats - e.g. every social problem is caused by ____, and ____ only. Nuanced discussion or real debate with give and take over facts never happens.

You can see this dynamic in even worse form on comment threads in newspapers. Usually it's one side talking to itself, nobody really sane bothers to engage for long because one side won't acknowledge the other side's facts.

Places like this work best, I think, as places where information can be shared, not arenas where political points scored. (And nobody pays much attention to internet threads anyway.)

Old 07-25-2015, 09:23 AM

169 posts, read 168,871 times
I agree. Most Oakland hate is by non-residents, mostly from the other side of the Bay, who are scared to go to Oakland. Oakland residents tend to have alot of pride for their city. If it weren't for work constraints, I'd live there instead of San Francisco.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:34 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
It's because most people are spending their time bashing California as a whole. They all fall into one of these categories:

1) Displaced Republicans angry because politically, the state is continuing into the 21st century without them.

2) Embittered teenagers waiting to graduate high school so they can move out of mom's and dad's basement and escape the oppression of house rules.

3) Entitled 30-somethings, upset to discover that owning a house in the suburbs requires actually have to work for a living, and possibly even saving for a down payment.

4) Rejected losers, constantly boxing out of their weight class, who vent their frustration with posts like, "Where are all the hot chicks," and "California girls ain't all that."

Old 07-25-2015, 11:11 AM

372 posts, read 514,037 times
This board has many Oakland defenders so any Oakland critics get dog piled. Also, moderators prohibit talking about crime in Oakland (your post will be deleted or your account will be locked) and that is one of the main downsides of living in Oakland.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:45 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
A few years ago, the anti-Oakland trolls would constantly start flame wars and try to cast the city in a bad light. After a while, most of the bogus claims about Oakland either being a war zone or "ghost town" after dark were debunked as droves of SF people moved into Oakland to take advantage of cheaper housing. There are a few annoying posters who have this weird obsession with Oakland and want to see it fail instead of improve and flourish like it has over the past few years. Most of them live on the Peninsula, and for whatever weird reason they try and stir the pot.

Oakland is far from perfect, but to deny that it's gotten better in the last few years just goes to show you how negative and sad people can be sometimes. A city is improving and people enjoy living there? How can that possibly be??

Old 07-25-2015, 01:52 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Oakland does get picked on by people in San Francisco both online and in-person. However, this forum is dominated by Oaklandites, so many threads end up getting derailed then closed if anything negative is said about the city. Honestly, San Francisco seems to be getting a lot of problems recently, so the focus is also not as strong on just Oakland.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:53 PM

339 posts, read 516,023 times
Yeah, most people in SF now see Oakland as quirky and interesting, rather than the scary black hole of crime across the Bay Bridge.

The suburbanite haters are starting to see the writing on the wall as Oakland's crime moves into their cities while Oakland's neighborhoods are increasingly revitalized and upscale, so they've transitioned into a nervous silence.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:43 PM

176 posts, read 218,746 times
Oakland also has some legitimately upscale areas that have been that way for a long time. I almost think that a lot of the "haters" forget that Rockridge, Montclair, and parts of Clairmont are indeed part of Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland