Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:48 AM

569 posts, read 780,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Take the N-Judah train from downtown out to Ocean Beach in the morning and catch the surfers
Take an Uber or Cab from there up to the Cliff House restaurant and get a super nice brunch
Take Muni bus back into Golden Gate Park...
Hold it right there!
I'm going to have to call a "tourist advice" foul on you. Telling someone to visit the Cliff House, without advising them to continue on to the ruins of the Sutro Baths and the trail around Land's End to the Legion of Honor is most definitely a violation. The spectacular views of the rugged coastline and Golden Gate are arguably the best in the city, with the bonus of being able to visit a wonderful art museum at the end. (And the 1 Bus comes very close to it when they're done) http://www.nps.gov/goga/planyourvisit/landsend.htm

5 yard penalty, repeat first down.

Last edited by MauiPartTimer; 08-08-2015 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: include link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 10:59 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
Mt. Davidson. No brainer

Old 08-08-2015, 11:19 AM

538 posts, read 1,191,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Any particular Napa tips? A tour, a specific winery to visit, where to stay there etc?
A couple of thought on Napa.

Check out bike tours. These can be a lot of fun and you get a much better feel for the place. Just yelp or google Napa bike tours.

Use Silverado Trail. Whether you are biking or driving, get off the highway 29 and use Silverado Trail, which runs more or less parallel to it.

Stop over in Yountville and Calistoga. I really enjoyed walking around Yountville, checking out random spots around Washington street, such as the garden across the street from French Laundry, where they grow their vegetables.

I have not been on it, but I've heard from multiple people that the wine train is overrated.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:15 PM

337 posts, read 405,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Hey, I'm sorry as I know there must have been a thread like this in the past, but I couldn't find one.

I'll be in San Francisco for a few days and although there's a lot of info on tourism sites and what not, I would love to get a local's perspective. If you only had a few days in San Francisco, what is an absolutely must see? I'm up for whatever so feel free to suggest anything, whether it be a well known tourist trap like alcatraz or some totally unknown destination. I'm just looking for your personal favorites.
Rent a car and drive along Pacific Coast Highway to the Big Sur, stopping at beach cities like Santa Cruz and Monterey along the way.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:22 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
Hold it right there!
I'm going to have to call a "tourist advice" foul on you. Telling someone to visit the Cliff House, without advising them to continue on to the ruins of the Sutro Baths and the trail around Land's End to the Legion of Honor is most definitely a violation. The spectacular views of the rugged coastline and Golden Gate are arguably the best in the city, with the bonus of being able to visit a wonderful art museum at the end. (And the 1 Bus comes very close to it when they're done) Lands End - Golden Gate National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

5 yard penalty, repeat first down.
I agree with you, the Cliff House is only good for the view, the food and price screams tourist trap. Instead you can go on a nice walk next door through Lands End and it's free. You can also save your appetite for a much better restaurant at a fraction of the price.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:36 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
San Francisco is very compact, so it's easy to see a good chunk of it in a few days. I would recommend (not in order)...

Lombard Street - Famous curvy street, great views
Golden Gate Park - Huge, google to see what interests you, or you can just walk or rent some bikes
Ferry Building Farmers Market - Saturday is the best day to go 8am to 2pm
Crissy Field - Great views of Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz in a very nice neighborhood
Cable Cars - Ride the cable cars, they cost $5, but think of it as a short city tour
Fisherman's Wharf - Very touristy, but it's still a fun area to visit, you can't come here and not go
Twin Peaks - Highest point in SF, great 360 degree views
Bike from SF to Sausalito and take ferry back - Lots of bike rentals around Fisherman's Wharf
Walk some districts - You can walk from Union Square to Chinatown to North Beach (Little Italy) to Fisherman's Wharf very easily and going by foot you get a much better feeling for the different areas.
Coit Tower - Another good viewing point, I think it's $5 or $6 to go inside
Muir Woods - Beautiful Redwood forest

Yelp.com is a good resource for either finding restaurants or checking restaurants. San Francisco has more restaurants per capita than even NYC, however that doesn't mean they are all good. If you see a restaurant, type it in on your phone, "XYZ San Francisco Yelp"
To that I will add:

1. Sutro Heights/Lands End
2. Hike the coastal trail from Baker beach to Golden Gate Bridge

I think Crissy Field is overrated compared to these two

Old 08-10-2015, 09:16 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,401 times
This is the wine country tour I've used the last 3 times I've been to San Francisco (2011,2013 & 2015). It's awesome. We did the tour that included Castella Di Amorosa, which is a great winery (built to look like an old European Castle), and also lunch at V. Sattui, which is my favorite winery, one of the few wineries that sells food. They have a great picnic area where you have lunch (a lunch voucher of $12 is included in the purchase of the tour). I highly recommend a tour instead of driving, this way you can really enjoy all the wine tasting without worrying about DUIs.

Wine Country Tour Shuttle with Robert Mondavi Winery, Napa Valley Tours

Old 08-12-2015, 11:49 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,663,523 times
I would recommend taking advantage of the free walking tours offered through San Francisco City Guides San Francisco Walking Tours | City Guides

Also, check out the stairways around Telegraph Hill and Coit Tower.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,437 times
I was there last year. During the World Series. IT as a bit crazy.

Didnt get to do much.

Does Chinatown have any top places to eat-- off the beaten track ?

Old 08-13-2015, 02:26 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
lol when I asked this people recommended the castro st and never mentioned why. I ended up arriving starved because the trolley is slow as hell. Difficult to choose a place that wasn't crammed with dudes, ended up getting treated like sh*t by the female cashier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland