Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 11:55 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,818,747 times

Advertisements

Girlinacafe;

further sign somebody like you is needed here.....
Attached Thumbnails
A NJ Teacher considering a move to SF-img_2904.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 02:09 PM

59 posts, read 47,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Girlinacafe;

further sign somebody like you is needed here.....
Thanks!

Im going to search for that article online.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
The rent control criteria are listed here:
Topic No. 017: Overview of Covered and Exempt Units | Rent Board

OP, you can find out if a property falls under rent control by doing a search here (should list the date of certificate of occupancy and number of units):
San Francisco Property Information Map

Other resources here:
https://www.sftu.org/rentcontrol/

New complexes have nice features, but you are almost always better off with renting older units from smaller private landlords (but not property management companies) in SF.

I really like the Outer Sunset and Outer Richmond. Nice relaxing neighborhood, with good food, and easy access to the parks and beaches. I am originally from back east, so grew up with 4 seasons. The "foggy" weather of those neighborhood don't bother me at all (I actually kind of like it).
East bay cities like Oakland are a great option too.

IMHO, you and your husband will be fine on the salary and expectations. But this is just advice from someone who actually live in SF (for the last 6 years, and another 10 before that in SJ). I am well familiar with cost of living here. I also know the challenge newcomer have to finding housing here (I am one of those dreaded "Techies", have lots of colleagues who moved from out of state).

I am also familiar with costs back east, I travel frequently there (brother lives in Manhattan), and I have extended family through out the NYC areas (childhood summer vacations to Queens, Long Island, Montclair). Costs of living here is pretty similar, though it's probably more expensive to dine out (probably due to more options/variety of price points/concentration in Manhattan) in SF, but if you like to cook, its much cheaper for better quality ingredients here. We do have better Mexican and Vietnamese food. One thing that is cheaper here (and I was surprise by), furniture (not talking Ikea)...my brother is a construction PM and Architect, he gets trade discount, and higher end furnishing options are still cheaper here then in NY.
Great links!

Im going to research the new complexes vs. smaller properties and see what people say. There seems to be a nightmare of a place that has some frightening experiences. Park Merced and Lake Merced.

Thank you!

Old 07-12-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
GC;
Here a apt in a convenient area, walkable neighborhood, close to transportation to downtown.
This is a example that looks like it could be worth a look, if you were here now apt hunting....you really have to see the rentals in person in SF, before getting too hopeful on a particular listing
https://hotpads.com/1044-judah-st-sa...d?price=0-3000
Looks perfect. Even lists the schools in the area, which I am taking notes on.

TY

Old 07-12-2016, 02:57 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,287,417 times
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but it's not as easy to transfer to an SF school as you'd think. You need a CA teaching credential (not sure if yours from NJ will suffice) and positions in SF aren't exactly easy to come by. It sounds like you've started doing your research which will help, but I think you're underestimating the difficulty of this move by quite a bit.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:02 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,818,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlinacafe View Post
Thanks!

Im going to search for that article online.

article is not available online at this time, unless you are a subscriber

if you have sharp eyes, you may be able to read a photo of the article
Attached Thumbnails
A NJ Teacher considering a move to SF-img_2905.jpg  

Old 07-12-2016, 03:45 PM

1,156 posts, read 988,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but it's not as easy to transfer to an SF school as you'd think. You need a CA teaching credential (not sure if yours from NJ will suffice) and positions in SF aren't exactly easy to come by. It sounds like you've started doing your research which will help, but I think you're underestimating the difficulty of this move by quite a bit.
She may need to get credentialed in CA before applying, or since SF is in desperate need of teachers at this time, they might allow her to get her CA credential after she starts working for the district. Only through a discussion with the district would you find that out. Or it might be in the specific requirements for the particular position on the edjoin website that someone already pointed out.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:02 PM

I don't teach k-12 (I teach CC and at a university), but I have friends that do in SF. Several them have side jobs bartending or Ubering because they can't make ends meet otherwise. I can't think of a worse city to want to move to right now to be a school teacher than SF. It's not even affordable for the average tech worker. Ironically, I know several people who have left for the Tri-State area because it's simply more affordable than the Bay Area if you're a teacher these days. If I hadn't lucked into the situation I'm in right now, I would have left the Bay Area a while ago. It's a great place to live, providing you have both the time and money to enjoy it, but I just think the ship to move here as an artist or a teacher sailed a while ago.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:07 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
The OP stated early on she's already in the process of getting that.

And for those continually concerned about affordability, the OP also said early on that she and her husband are used to working two jobs each. She said she's fine with that. She knows what she's getting into on that score. She seems pretty savvy. There's no need to run that into the ground, here.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP stated early on she's already in the process of getting that.

And for those continually concerned about affordability, the OP also said early on that she and her husband are used to working two jobs each. She said she's fine with that. She knows what she's getting into on that score. She seems pretty savvy. There's no need to run that into the ground, here.
Good for her. I wish her luck with her move. I personally wouldn't move here to teach k-12 knowing what I know (being a teacher in the Bay Area myself) but if she's willing to bite the bullet, I guess she will figure it out on her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland