Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 01:47 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
[url]https://vault.sierraclub.org/sierra/200411/immigrants.asp[/url]

"While fighting a massive development project in Orinda, a bedroom community to which her family moved in 1990, Yeh began to focus on the environmental consequences of unchecked growth. "I love open space. I love nature," says Yeh, who uses her original name in her work with the Diversity Alliance. "But one day it dawned on me: If we keep adding immigrants, they've got to live somewhere."She continues, "Even the poor ones are using more resources here than in their native lands. Go to Costco. Look at those immigrants. What are they buying? Boom boxes, hi-fis, televisions. They drive SUVs. Did they have those goods in their home countries? I doubt it."

She lost all credibility there. Now poor immigrants will also be blamed for the US's uber consumer culture?

Selfish is the proper word for this person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 01:54 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
It boggles my mind how people from somewhere other than California:

Move to the bay, decide it's too crowded, and that no one new should be able to move there or build.

It's that whole transplant "I got mine, keep out" mentality that really has ruined the bay in the last 20 years.

I mean I could see if she lived in Brentwood and thought it would stay a farm town. But they don't build too much in Orinda. It's 2016 not 1966.
This is exactly what it is.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:52 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,465,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
[/b]

She lost all credibility there. Now poor immigrants will also be blamed for the US's uber consumer culture?

Selfish is the proper word for this person.
Immigrants didn't invent the US's consumer culture, no one is saying that, but they vastly increase the numbers of consumers. Why do you think Corporations are the biggest proponents of immigration?

Selfish? Perhaps. Humans are selfish creatures. Everyone is looking out for their own personally interest for the most part, but as a society we can pass laws such as environmental protection, wilderness conservation, zoning laws, workers rights, protectionism, and immigration control that create livable communities.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:58 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Immigration has ruined America, but no place more so than CA.

Nearly all population growth is due to immigration.

It is why we have sprawl, congestion, unaffordability of various things, and of course, the massive burden it places on social infrastructure shows up in areas like education and communal trust - both of which have deteriorated to the point of collapse.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:05 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Yeh Ling-ling's longstanding position as a shill for nativist groups has little to do with Orinda's state of development. She's been like that for a long time. Of course, it's kind of ironic for an immigrant like her to be so strident about immigration.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:36 AM

732 posts, read 968,830 times
This country still has a lot of land space for more immigrants. The problem is that too many people want to squeeze into only certain areas rather than spread out.

It's ridiculous to densely populate areas just because a crowd of egotistical people want status of living within imaginary border lines and a lot of corporations want the same. Maybe cities and counties should extend border lines to appease the idiots, but we'd also need to extend public transportation systems and the freeways for the people who think they're too classy to deal with "common peasants" on public transportation.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:35 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,465,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yeh Ling-ling's longstanding position as a shill for nativist groups has little to do with Orinda's state of development. She's been like that for a long time. Of course, it's kind of ironic for an immigrant like her to be so strident about immigration.
One of reasons Orinda wasn't totally over developed was because Yeh blocked a housing development that would of paved the way for the entire area to look like Orange County.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:53 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
One of reasons Orinda wasn't totally over developed was because Yeh blocked a housing development that would of paved the way for the entire area to look like Orange County.
The Sierra Club article you linked also presents a different view of environmentalism that doesn't marry it with the nativism promoted by the likes of Yeh. It's also highly unlikely, then as of now, that the "hordes of immigrants" coming to this area would settle in a community such as Orinda.

Last edited by silverkris; 01-06-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 01-06-2017, 12:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
I don't see too many illegals in Orinda. But there are an increasing number of Asian immigrants. Irony.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:56 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
^

This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland