Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:15 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times

Advertisements

I find this not only hilarious, but ridiculous that a simple post about negatives/positives of this area, has turned into a political warzone now... Add that to my negatives as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Can u inbox me your landlord's phone number? I know a ton of people that would love to rent your place yesterday.

K Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Greg....why not come back to Louisville? The city has really taken off in the year you have left.

9 Billion in current construction and another several million or so (on top of that announced in the last week or so!)
I would love to be able to transfer back to Louisville with my company, but in my profession/trade, they had to find someone to fill my position as soon as I left for California, and that person is still there as of now. I'm in talks trying to get back, it's possible I'll be able to transfer to Lexington and I'd be happy with that that (except I'm a huge University of Louisville fan).

I'll be home in May for the Memorial Weeken Holiday and will enjoy the week I'm there while I can. We have been home 3 other times and Louisville is definitely changing!

Old 04-17-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well, Kentucky certainly is beautiful but it isn't for everyone just like the Bay Area isn't. Anyway, here's a picture I took in Kentucky last June.
I definitely do miss this!

Old 04-17-2017, 09:23 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I find this not only hilarious, but ridiculous that a simple post about negatives/positives of this area, has turned into a political warzone now... Add that to my negatives as well
You wrote an essay and ended it with "..the only golden things here are the homeless pee puddles on the sidewalks." Quit pretending like you wrote some simple, objective post then act all surprised with how people respond to your long diatribe.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
I think it's ridiculous too. Not sure why politics always needs to be brought up when it's not a political discussion whatsoever. I would say this is something that you find in random message boards though and not indicative of meeting people face to face here.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You wrote an essay and ended it with "..the only golden things here are the homeless pee puddles on the sidewalks." Quit pretending like you wrote some simple, objective post then act all surprised with how people respond to your long diatribe.
I would consider it simple. As in, I'm simply pointing out things that make this area less than desirable. I'm assuming you took offense, which I expected would happen. From my perspective, I would welcome opinions about my hometown from people not originally from there. Negative or positive, feedback can really help things

Old 04-17-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
So, if I go to your hometown/state and I bash it saying how much I really hate it, nobody in your hometown/state would be offended?

I'm not offended if you don't like the state I love. Your opinion of it doesn't affect my life at all. I really don't care if you hate it.

Next.
Offended, not at all. I may not agree with it, but everyone can have an opinion (except here of course, because if you aren't liberal, you're wrong).

Feedback, positive or negative can be a good thing. Please come to Louisville,KY and tell me why you hate/love it. Hell, call me a redneck if you wish, I'll welcome it

Old 04-17-2017, 10:10 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
I went to undergrad in the LA area and would visit the Bay Area a few times. Have relatives in the Sacramento area and San Diego as well so I know CAL. I am grateful to have lived in LA for 4 years but now I am only envious of the weather and scenery. The rest of it, I do not care for.

A couple of years ago, we visited some friends that live in a 200 year old Farmhouse in Greensburg KY and had a great time discovering southern KY . The pic posted above does show how beautiful Ky is . OP, best wishes in your move. :-)

Old 04-17-2017, 10:10 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
Yep, and I have yet to see a group at work or my neighborhood that haven't shun someone when they found out they had conservative beliefs. I have seen it all over the Bay Area for over 50 years. And if you don't believe me, bring a friend into a coffee shop or on BART and just casually start a sentence with "The thing I like about Trump....." I would be willing to make you a wager that you will get dirty looks, or some vitriol thrown your way. Too bad we couldn't have tried my theory out at the tax march this weekend. You seriously don't think that would happen if you joined that march and made a comment like that? That's the Bay Area in a nutshell. It's one of the reasons you'd only see comments like that in places like the Central Valley. Liberals don't have their bully pulpit over there. Did you see what just happened to the Fresno State Professor? If that was a Professor at Berkeley, it's doubtful they would have any outrage at all. You simply have to know your audience and what you can get away with.
No one would walk into a coffee shop and spontaneously start talking politics like that, nor on BART. BART riders generally don't speak at all, anyway. I don't recall ever hearing anyone discussing politics in public. People say this about Seattle, too, and talk about how it's difficult to fit in in the workplace there. But IME nobody talks politics in the workplace (in Seattle, for ex.). These conversations simply don't happen. Come to think of it, I have no idea who anyone I ever worked with, nor even some of my friends voted for, and I never cared.

So what is it you've seen all over the bay area for 50 years?

Old 04-17-2017, 10:11 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
I would consider it simple. As in, I'm simply pointing out things that make this area less than desirable. I'm assuming you took offense, which I expected would happen. From my perspective, I would welcome opinions about my hometown from people not originally from there. Negative or positive, feedback can really help things
I didn't really take offense as I don't really care whether you like it or not, people complain about the Bay Area all the time. I'm from here but don't really "love" the Bay Area, just make the best of it as I have no plans to leave. But your post was pretty narrow minded, hyperbolic in parts (crime everywhere, poverty out of control, etc...), then you end it with a catty dig. It's fairly rude and easily could have been presented in a more objective manner. Perhaps this is how people from Kentucky communicate; with little tact or class.

On top of this you're still throwing your little digs ("..but everyone can have an opinion (except here of course, because if you aren't liberal, you're wrong)." I don't know how you expect some sort of civil discourse/discussion when continue to be catty and insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland