Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 08:48 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Don't be so "sensitive"
It just an "honest opinion"
A"different point of view"

It doesn't matter if it true or upsets people if this is how I my justify my comments.
You are turning into an angry 10 year old over opinions of people you never met. Think about that for a minute lol. We all come in different sizes and colors, but most of all we all have different opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 03:05 PM

882 posts, read 688,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
There's that Bay Area elitism again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You are turning into an angry 10 year old over opinions of people you never met. Think about that for a minute lol. We all come in different sizes and colors, but most of all we all have different opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
That is a generalization and you know it. I agree some people post things not favorable about California, but others do not. I have noticed that those threads go on and on, much it fueled by California people and sometimes they are mean spirited comments too. If Californians are so great why can't they just ignore what they call trolls? Those raggings go on because Californians keep responding. I will say that it is not all locals, just some.

As a native Californian and a resident for 57 years I can say in the past I had enormous pride in California, too the point of being arrogant and smug. I'm am sure somewhere along the line I probably came across poorly when meeting people from other places. Part of it was me only knowing California and not seeing other other places to compare.

California is still a great place, but there are shortcomings. If others don't like it as much, just let it go and be happy you like it and get to live here.
Finally I will say that just because someone says they don't like it or it wasn't for them, realize it's just their opinion and some people here shouldn't be so offended. Some of the points are valid and are worth discussing and it's not just ragging.

Perfectly stated. Don't change a thing! And certainly don't let yourself be steered into a different characterization of what the original post is all about. If indeed the poster only wanted to know the "why" of things, he would have asked the question and then simply read the replies (which were all quite reasonable reasons as to why people do it). Instead, he gets into his angry rant with his antagonistic assumptions...

"Yet you keep coming in here adding your miserable , I'm mad I'm in a better place now comments. Sounds to me like you're mad you couldn't afford the area and really wish you could live here."

To which one would ask...who's really trolling here?

In addition, after what were perfectly reasonable and logical replies by evening sun, 23windows, aslowdodge, Hemlock140, kgbnsf, and bmw335xi, they were treated to replies like...

"many people come here and lack the educational attainment,ambition and skills to succeed in the Bay Area.they have to retreat to southern red states and are bitter that life didn't turn out like they hope so they post in forums denigrating the bay area and people who have excelled in a region that proved them woefully inadequate.

and

"They don't have anything else to do, aka don't have a life."

My wife and I have lived in the Bay Area for years, but do not plan on making it our forever residency. I very much enjoy the perspective (good or bad) of people that lived here and left. It gives me much more of a perspective than simply visiting another forum and listening to people that have no idea what it is to live here so that can't make a true comparison. As long as when they say the "Bay Area sucks" followed by the x,y, and z of why they feel that way, I don't take it as a negative (and I believe people that do are simply being hypersensitive). Again, there's a simple solution if that type of thing bothers you....don't read it.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:50 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
I very much enjoy the perspective (good or bad) of people that lived here and left. It gives me much more of a perspective than simply visiting another forum and listening to people that have no idea what it is to live here so that can't make a true comparison. As long as when they say the "Bay Area sucks" followed by the x,y, and z of why they feel that way, I don't take it as a negative (and I believe people that do are simply being hypersensitive). Again, there's a simple solution if that type of thing bothers you....don't read it.

This

Old 05-11-2017, 04:24 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post

. As long as when they say the "Bay Area sucks" followed by the x,y, and z of why they feel that way, I don't take it as a negative (and I believe people that do are simply being hypersensitive). Again, there's a simple solution if that type of thing bothers you....don't read it.
Ok so why is it a problem me saying the "Bay Area is great " because of x= Highly educated ambitious population , y = large number of financially successful people and z= the economic engines that attract these people.

If people don't like this they are just being hypersensitive right?

It's hypocritical otherwise

Old 05-11-2017, 04:44 PM

882 posts, read 688,916 times
Quote:
Ok so why is it a problem me saying the "Bay Area is great " because of x= Highly educated ambitious population , y = large number of financially successful people and z= the economic engines that attract these people.

If people don't like this they are just being hypersensitive right?

It's hypocritical otherwise
Oh, I think you said a little more than that and I quoted you so let's not pretend otherwise.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:24 PM

50 posts, read 44,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 510 Oakcity View Post
Why are you here? Most of you who have left, left it because you claimed to hate it or it was too liberal or some other reason. Yet you keep coming in here adding your miserable , I'm mad I'm in a better place now comments. Sounds to me like you're mad you couldn't afford the area and really wish you could live here. I know after I left School in Louisville, KY I feel and felt no need to bash the city after I was gone even though I hated the place. I'm not on the Louisville forum even though I spent 4 years there. What's your purpose here?
EXACTLY!
Have you ever known someone who broke up with their boyfriend/girlfriend, but then just couldn't shut up about their ex, and would constantly talk sh*t about them all the time? They even stalk their Facebook to somehow still have a hold on that person. The only reason someone does that is because they still secretly want that person but can't have them. This is the same type of situation.

A guy I know who lived in San Francisco for several years and then moved to Texas (ironically a place he used to hate), now bashes not just SF but California as a whole, every chance he gets (who used to preach that SF is the best city on earth while he lived here, and while he now claims that Texas is the best place ever) online and to everyone he speaks to, especially on Facebook. If he is lucky enough to live in the best place ever (TX LOL), then why doesn't he simply just enjoy his so called amazing life instead of promoting hate every chance he gets.

I see people doing this all the time. They are obviously trying to convince themselves of something or are jealous. It's like when you were a kid and you got the new PlayStation but your friend couldn't afford one, so he made the PlayStation out to be stupid and would downtalk it, but secretly wished he could have one himself instead of making friends with someone who had a PlayStation and be able to offer the friendship something in return. People are stupid lol.

Perhaps life gave them no choice but to leave a city like SF, or perhaps they didn't have what it takes to thrive here like most of us do, so they bash the ones that do

Great post!

Old 05-11-2017, 05:36 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuyKeagz View Post
EXACTLY!
Have you ever known someone who broke up with their boyfriend/girlfriend, but then just couldn't shut up about their ex, and would constantly talk sh*t about them all the time? They even stalk their Facebook to somehow still have a hold on that person. The only reason someone does that is because they still secretly want that person but can't have them. This is the same type of situation.

A guy I know who lived in San Francisco for several years and then moved to Texas (ironically a place he used to hate), now bashes not just SF but California as a whole, every chance he gets (who used to preach that SF is the best city on earth while he lived here, and while he now claims that Texas is the best place ever) online and to everyone he speaks to, especially on Facebook. If he is lucky enough to live in the best place ever (TX LOL), then why doesn't he simply just enjoy his so called amazing life instead of promoting hate every chance he gets.

I see people doing this all the time. They are obviously trying to convince themselves of something or are jealous. It's like when you were a kid and you got the new PlayStation but your friend couldn't afford one, so he made the PlayStation out to be stupid and would downtalk it, but secretly wished he could have one himself instead of making friends with someone who had a PlayStation and be able to offer the friendship something in return. People are stupid lol.

Perhaps life gave them no choice but to leave a city like SF, or perhaps they didn't have what it takes to thrive here like most of us do, so they bash the ones that do

Great post!
Just because you think SF is an amazing place, doesn't mean everyone else HAS to agree and think the same.

While he is definitely being an idiot by saying he loves SF, then turns around saying he hates it, that is just plain stupid.

However, to say people can't "thrive" like "most of us do", that's just being an a$$hole. I am making more $$$ than ever in SF, but I hate this place with a passion. It's not because I don't "thrive" here, it's just not my style of city/area to be in. Everyone is allowed to have their personal opinion, and just because you don't agree with it, doesn't make it the wrong answer

Old 05-11-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Just because you think SF is an amazing place, doesn't mean everyone else HAS to agree and think the same.

While he is definitely being an idiot by saying he loves SF, then turns around saying he hates it, that is just plain stupid.

However, to say people can't "thrive" like "most of us do", that's just being an a$$hole. I am making more $$$ than ever in SF, but I hate this place with a passion. It's not because I don't "thrive" here, it's just not my style of city/area to be in. Everyone is allowed to have their personal opinion, and just because you don't agree with it, doesn't make it the wrong answer
Thanks for your input but I never said San Francisco is an amazing place - I implied the opportunity here is amazing. Please don't twist my words. If you work really hard in SF, how could you not thrive? SF has it's very undesirable issues as any place does, but we are very fortunate to have access to the opportunity that it provides us with

Old 05-11-2017, 08:09 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuyKeagz View Post
Thanks for your input but I never said San Francisco is an amazing place - I implied the opportunity here is amazing. Please don't twist my words. If you work really hard in SF, how could you not thrive? SF has it's very undesirable issues as any place does, but we are very fortunate to have access to the opportunity that it provides us with
There are people who give up jobs in Wall Street making millions a year to move to the Bay Area where the "real money " is.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
There are people who give up jobs in Wall Street making millions a year to move to the Bay Area where the "real money " is.
Couldn't have said it better, myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland