Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:57 PM

360 posts, read 372,379 times

Advertisements

I will buy a car when in San Francisco.
I use busses or metros just to go to work, during the weekend I usually drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 01:03 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
I will buy a car when in San Francisco.
I use busses or metros just to go to work, during the weekend I usually drive.
Then you'll have to worry about parking. You'll have to look for a rental that provides parking (some do, some don't). There are a lot of car break-ins due to the large homeless population, but that's less of an issue in some parts of the west side of town, and some of the tri-plexes out there have parking on the ground floor of the building.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Co-workers pay up to $600 a month for off street garage parking in the city proper...

The alternative is a car with dings and scrapes and one that has to be moved often and parking sometimes blocks away... depending on where in the city... and as Ruth mentions... smash and grab is big in the Bay Area and even bigger in the SF...

If you find a unit with quality off street parking make sure you figure it's worth when comparing... it is no small benefit.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Co-workers pay up to $600 a month for off street garage parking in the city proper...

The alternative is a car with dings and scrapes and one that has to be moved often and parking sometimes blocks away... depending on where in the city... and as Ruth mentions... smash and grab is big in the Bay Area and even bigger in the SF...

If you find a unit with quality off street parking make sure you figure it's worth when comparing... it is no small benefit.
Thanks, I will consider the parking space when I go to SF.
$600 a month for parking it is expensive.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
Thanks, I will consider the parking space when I go to SF.
$600 a month for parking it is expensive.
Did not want to scare you but it something easily overlooked... after a few tickets, break-ins and scrapes... some feel it worth the peace of mind...

I work with a fair amount of traveling nurses on assignment... one of the reasons they come here is to experience San Francisco... a car can complicate things.

Even those that are only passing through have positives for the experience... but few tend to make SF their forever city... many that like the SF Bay Area gravitate to the East Bay when the family expands.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:34 PM

I will consider a good insurance to cover the car by these issues.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:39 PM

It is not so much the policy but the deductible....

Most find the cost to replace a side window or repaint a bumper or fix a ding tend to be right around the deductible cost.

I work with one nurse on a 9 month contract... she actually keeps here car in the East Bay and uses BART to reach it... since she is new to the area she is always exploring on days off... Napa/Sonoma, Tahoe, Yosemite, Redwoods, California Coast... but a work friend had extra space 3 blocks from BART.

She really does like living in SF... has a Studio and everything is nearby...

Old 07-28-2017, 01:48 PM

901 posts, read 1,168,376 times
NOLA 101 is correct about SF transportation, I"m a former NY-er. It is inadequate, though better than no transit at all.

No US city outside of NY compares with a typical European city re: public transit. And by European standards, NYC transit is 3rd-tier, maybe 2nd-tier, in quality, especially when you consider travel other than outskirt-to-core.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:50 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Default public transit in SF

Overall, it's quite good. In terms of the number of transit vehicles operating per square mile, probably one of the best in the country. Service reliability is not as good as e.g. Seattle. There is a rail system, running partly in tunnels and partly at street level in the outer neighborhoods. It is not remotely like the NY subway; Philly or Boston might be closer comparisons.
I've lived here for 25+ years, nearly all of it w/o a car. I don't need one, and having one would be too much aggravation (circling round and round looking for a parking space, or going to the car in the morning and discovering that a thief has smashed a window).
The biggest challenge in SF today is the exorbitant cost of housing.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:56 PM

The biggest challenge can also be put as supply falls short of demand... SF is surrounded by water on 3 sides.... the only expansion is often vertical... so more density makes the auto less desirable.

Price is how housing is allocated.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-28-2017 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland