Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:07 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times

Advertisements

It's not just SOMA/Tenderloin, it's a good chunk of the city. Hayes Valley is a really cute neighborhood, but strolling to dinner there was a few homeless people camping in the little park, coming back from dinner a homeless person pulled down his pants right in front of us and started peeing on the sidewalk. Only in SF do you see stuff like this outside expensive boutiques, restaurants, macaroon stores and real estate that averages over $1,000 per square foot lol. Locals live in denial about this, which is why nothing changes if anything is getting worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 12:24 AM

758 posts, read 550,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Answer me this - DO you really think that your city doesn't have these issues?. The answer is always NO.
What are "these issues?" I've traveled a lot. No other city in the U.S. or Europe or Asia (I haven't been to Africa) or the Middle East have the following problems:

1)Several people screaming at the top of their lungs day and/or night.
2)Several piles of feces sprinkled on sidewalks ANYWHERE in the city.
3Hundreds of needles (so many that 50% of the the sanitation budget goes to cleaning it up) discarded on the street, every single day.
4)Growing camps on sidewalks made out of tarps, tents, pallets, whatever--all over the city.

Now, you could explain each of these phenomena in different ways--the left would offer one kind of explanation, those on the right would offer another. But there's no explaining away the phenomena, and this effort to make it seem like "everyplace has the same problems" is just that--an effort to explain it away. And, with that strategy, the problems will never be addressed.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:30 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
What are "these issues?" I've traveled a lot. No other city in the U.S. or Europe or Asia (I haven't been to Africa) or the Middle East have the following problems:

1)Several people screaming at the top of their lungs day and/or night.
2)Several piles of feces sprinkled on sidewalks ANYWHERE in the city.
3Hundreds of needles (so many that 50% of the the sanitation budget goes to cleaning it up) discarded on the street, every single day.
4)Growing camps on sidewalks made out of tarps, tents, pallets, whatever--all over the city.

Now, you could explain each of these phenomena in different ways--the left would offer one kind of explanation, those on the right would offer another. But there's no explaining away the phenomena, and this effort to make it seem like "everyplace has the same problems" is just that--an effort to explain it away. And, with that strategy, the problems will never be addressed.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.
Exactly I live in Orange Ca and I've never stepped in or seen human poop or even a syringe and I've been all over my city. Normalizing living conditions like that does nobody any good from the homeless to the billionaires.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:48 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
These things are not normal for most cities, even cities larger than San Francisco. It is among the few rare cities from developed countries with these issues so widespread.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:31 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,296,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post

Guess what, the vast majority of SF residents don't see these issues where they live, either as my OP states.
Wrong,the issues of crime ,drugs and homelessness are pervasive throughout the city. Its just more concentrated in the area of SF east of Van Ness Ave. I have seen a homeless person taking a dump in the middle of the afternoon on 17th Ave and Taraval next to the Safeway. Had homeless urinating right next to my car when I parked in the lot behind Walgreens on 9th and Clement in the afternoon.

Look at this lovely streetview and homeless encampment near Potrero Ave.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...4d-122.4055917

Richmond is also a hotbed of issues caused by the rampant homelessness. Many of your neighbors are aware of the issues even if you are not.

"Many people expressed their concerns about the growing number of homelessness around La Playa"

SFPD Richmond District Station Newsletter

"there were a minimum of 30 car break-ins in a 3 block area around Clement and 4th avenue in the last 3 weeks. "

SFPD Richmond Station Newsletter

Its a problem for the Outer Sunset too.

Officials Talk Property Crimes, Homelessness at Outer Sunset Community Safety Meeting

Old 02-21-2018, 06:21 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Are you saying high rents are a good thing??
No, I'm saying comparing bad areas of other cities with bad central tourist areas in San Francisco is not really a good analogy.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:48 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
These things are not normal for most cities, even cities larger than San Francisco. It is among the few rare cities from developed countries with these issues so widespread.
Are you kidding?

Look at these maps.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...n-the-country/

LA is worse than SF actually...
As homeless camps explode in L.A. suburbs, residents fear they will become permanent

Look at these recent headlines...
Homelessness and housing problems reach crisis point in all EU countries – except Finland
https://www.theguardian.com/housing-...except-finland

It’s time to declare an emergency on homelessness in Toronto
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/cont...n-toronto.html

Sydney's homeless crisis is reaching unprecedented levels
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/re...b8d-1519220760

I am perfectly willing to talk about the Bay Area's homeless crisis, but to claim that its a rarity in the developed world is laughable.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:59 AM

758 posts, read 550,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Are you kidding?

Look at these maps.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...n-the-country/

LA is worse than SF actually...
As homeless camps explode in L.A. suburbs, residents fear they will become permanent

Look at these recent headlines...
Homelessness and housing problems reach crisis point in all EU countries – except Finland
https://www.theguardian.com/housing-...except-finland

It’s time to declare an emergency on homelessness in Toronto
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/cont...n-toronto.html

Sydney's homeless crisis is reaching unprecedented levels
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/re...b8d-1519220760

I am perfectly willing to talk about the Bay Area's homeless crisis, but to claim that its a rarity in the developed world is laughable.
No one said SF is the only place with homelessness. I certainly did not say that. The point people are making is that in SF the behavior--shouting at the top of one's lungs, shooting up in public, tossing needles everywhere, breaking into cars, urinating in public, defecating on the sidewalk--is tolerated and thus rampant. That behavior is NOT tolerated in virtually any other major city. I've been to lots of the cities mentioned in those articles, and lived in some of them, and I while I saw homelessness in most places, I never saw that behavior on the street or in any of the neighborhoods.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:01 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Exactly I live in Orange Ca and I've never stepped in or seen human poop or even a syringe and I've been all over my city.
First off does anyone in Orange walk?

Secondly, you have tent cities in your own area, so I find it odd you seem so transfixed on SF.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:05 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,199 times
Not sure where any of this is coming from but you are being inconsistent. You say the conservative cities keep their downtrodden in one section and, one presumes, that is bad to you. But, when you talk about SF, you say the problem is contained in SOMA and Bayview. How is that different than these other cities? I'm not sure why you are all up in arms about this issue. I guess that report that just came out. Be happy and live your life to its' fullest. Be well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland